"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

16 hours ago, currygoat11 said:

From what I can tell, it sounds like the only songs from Mar 25 are 2112, Freewill, Broon's Bane & La Villa Strangiato. All the others all seem to be from the 24th.

Whatever other copy-pasting/mistake corrections they did, I think they did a great job with it.
It's amazing, everyone sounds great and the performance is just excellent =)

What I don't like is that it seems this was being advertised as a complete show when it isn't.

At this rate, if Rush continues these reissues I will likely assume we will never get a complete show outside of AFtK.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:10 PM, Bahamas said:

The snare sounded different to me too, at times. I like it. Sounds punchy with a bit more "attack"?

Also some other sounds were appreciated - as I would expect them to be cleaned off, such as the odd strum of strings or warm up notes.

I love the recording!

That's kind of how I thought of it the more I listened to it! I'm enjoying the recording!!

• Like 1

The released material from the live Toronto shows in 1981 is terrific.  It doesn't bother me that the entire show isn't from a specific night.  The material is outstanding and at this point in their career (i.e. done), I will gratefully and gladly take anything (especially when it is this great)!

• Like 5

It doesn't bother me either that the live material isn't from a single night. I have always hoped for a more complete representation of that tour, so I got my wish. This is easily now my favorite Rush live release.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, currygoat11 said:

From what I can tell, it sounds like the only songs from Mar 25 are 2112, Freewill, Broon's Bane & La Villa Strangiato. All the others all seem to be from the 24th.

Whatever other copy-pasting/mistake corrections they did, I think they did a great job with it.
It's amazing, everyone sounds great and the performance is just excellent =)

I came here to post what I concluded from my comparisons, but it seems you beat me to it. My synopsis is identical, other than Broon's Bane which I did assume was March 24. In summary, the entire show is March 24, with the exception of the beginning with 2112, Freewill and its succeeding dialogue, then the encore with La Villa Strangiato all being March 25.

I've just listened to Broon's Bane again, and I think it actually may be from March 25, though Geddy's overlayed vocal track is undoubtedly from March 24. Not sure why it would've been edited this way though, instead of just using the March 25 dialogue. I figured there'd be a margin of error in determining dates, considering the possibility of more complex edits like this.

I noticed a few very small bits throughout the entire recording that seemed to have possibly been patched in from another source, as it didn't seem to match either audience recording, but I can't be sure about that, it may have just been my ears not being able to match anything.

In the March 24 recording, Alex breaks a string during Red Barchetta, which is not in the official release. Geddy's vocals during the song were surely March 24, and I remember details about the performance matching March 24 as well, however the part when the guitar was being swapped out must've been filled with a portion from March 25.

Most songs I was very certain about the date, some details were distinguishable. Though some songs I had real trouble finding differences/likeness, which were Limelight, The Camera Eye, YYZ (though the drum solo was easily identifiable), and The Spirit Of Radio. However I heard enough things that made me say "I think this sounds like March 24" or "I think March 25 sounds a bit different than this", so I'm comfortable with my synopsis above. None left me completely unable to decide. Of course, there is always a margin of error if more complex edits were made that eluded my ears.

Other small details I noticed, the "ello, mornin gov" line mumbled by Geddy was removed from The Camera Eye, Alex's backing vocals are not featured during In The Mood, nor are Geddy's vocalizations during La Villa Strangiato.

Technical details:

Spoiler

01 - 2112: Overture / Temples Of Syrinx - March 25
02 - Freewill - March 25
xx - dialogue - March 25
03 - Limelight - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
04 - Hemispheres: Prelude - March 24
05 - Beneath, Between And Behind - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
06 - The Camera Eye - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
07 - YYZ - March 24
08 - Drum Solo - March 24
09 - YYZ (Reprise) - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
10 - Broon's Bane - March 24
11 - The Trees - March 24
12 - Xanadu - March 24
13 - The Spirit Of Radio - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
14 - Red Barchetta - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
15 - Closer To The Heart - March 24
xx - dialogue - (cut from March 24 tape, but does not match March 25; likely March 24)
16 - Tom Sawyer - March 24
17 - Vital Signs - March 24
xx - dialogue - March 24
18 - Natural Science - March 24
19 - Working Man - March 24
20 - Hemispheres: Armageddon - March 24
21 - By-Tor And The Snow Dog - March 24
22 - In The End - March 24
23 - In The Mood - March 24
24 - 2112: Grand Finale - March 24
xx - dialogue goodnight - March 24
xx - dialogue encore - March 25
25 - La Villa Strangiato - March 25
xx - dialogue second goodnight - neither (though I think its a repeat of the goodnight after March 24 Grand Finale, but sped up)

On 4/24/2022 at 11:05 PM, taurus said:

I'm fine with any sort of compilation of the 3 nights to produce the best results. Of course my real preference would be a 6 cd set of the complete 3 night run.  And then do the editing for the vinyl version where that is a compilation of the best performances cobbled together to make a complete set list

I've been saying this for a while, I wish they would take note from Yes's "Seven Shows From Seventy-Two" and give us CD/digital sets for each tour featuring what they consider to be the best complete shows. (Ideally release every show they have recorded from each tour, but I know that's way too much to ask) That way great recordings don't remain unheard and rot for another 40+ years, or forever. I think I posted about this in this same thread a while back.

I like your idea, if they still want to go with vinyl, they can do a single hodge-podge show, the full setlist, but the best performance of each song, pretty much like they did for the MP 40th. Yes also did that with "Highlights From Seventy-Two".

On 4/13/2022 at 12:42 AM, currygoat11 said:

Apologies, late reply, I had leapt to a conclusion; the ESL liner notes do not mention Toronto. I am now quite embarrassed of trying to compare the boots from Toronto 3/23/81 - 3/25/81 to ESL.

I can't remember all what I wrote a couple weeks ago, but it seems the several posts I made got sucked into the void. Guessing the site had to be restored from a slightly older backup not long after the new software update, because I made some comments within a few hours after the site came back online. I did address @currygoat11's post above.

Basically I was saying the documentation surrounding the recording locations of ESL is sparse and confusing. Every online source states Side 1, 3, and 4 were recorded in Montreal March 27 (as was the ESL footage), and Side 2 in Glasgow June 10-11 during the PeW tour in 1980. The official physical releases of ESL just state "Side 1, 3, and 4 recorded in Canada" and "Side 2 recorded in the UK". Yet if you read old post on this site, DRE, and other places online, people casually refer to Toronto being recorded for ESL as if it were common knowledge. I've been wondering where that missing link of knowledge stems from.

I mentioned this confusion a few months back, and someone directly sent me a link to this old interview with Neil. In it Neil states: "So we went over to the UK, recorded some shows over there, some of which would make up side two of this live record, notably London, Manchester and Glasgow." and "We went out on tour again for about a century, through most of the US, and some of Canada. More shows were recorded: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Edmonton, all of which show up on sides one, three and four. We also filmed the Montreal show, which we hope to put together as our first real concert film."

The only way to know for sure is more close comparisons, among those recordings we have, but I imagine it'd be quite hard considering all the studio editing done before ESL was released.

All else I remember from my missing posts was basically saying that I personally think the new live show sounds really fantastic, despite some people who don't for one reason or another, and that I really enjoy the distinct bass in the mix. And yes, I easily prefer this to ESL. While great, ESL is short and doesn't remotely follow any actual setlist.

7 hours ago, hgwy407 said:

It doesn't bother me either that the live material isn't from a single night. I have always hoped for a more complete representation of that tour, so I got my wish. This is easily now my favorite Rush live release.

Related to what I mentioned above, this doesn't bother me that much either, as long as we're getting a complete setlist that runs through seamlessly. The fades they had between songs on the PeW 40th still bothers me (especially Hemispheres into CTTH!), despite really enjoying that release as well. I won't go further into my nitpicks about previous 40th releases, despite enjoying them all (anything is better than nothing), though there's still things I wish were done differently.

I don't have any complaints at all with this one. I guess it's nerdy nitpicking, but I guess my one minor gripe is if they continue down this route, that they would be more detailed in the liner notes about the dates of each song/multitrack used, that way we don't have to wonder with these rough comparisons. Either way, I sure hope they keep on with releasing complete setlists, whether from a single performance or not. No fades, no handpicked songs, no out of order setlists, no partial shows, etc. This is all assuming they continue on with Signals in 2023 of course.

• Like 3

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Edmonton, all of which show up on sides one, three and four.

@By-Tor X-1You know, going back and listening to La Villa Strangiato from Mar 24 and comparing it to ESL and the 'Thank you very much ... huh huuh' thing is identical; I have to wonder if (after all) this song on ESL is indeed from Mar 24 Toronto, I mean the solo differs (some fixes/adjustments were made) ... 
makes me think -- for Live in YYZ, they were kind of 'forced' to use the Mar 25 version of La Villa Strangiato; i.e. if they used the Mar 24 version it would be the same source as ESL.
I haven't done a detailed comparison. (like line them up in Audacity, speed correct and all that), not sure I have time or inclination to do this haha

• Like 2

Well I was just about to sit down and listen to the second half of the Live In YYZ album that came with my box set, when I discovered my copy included two LP4s and no LP5! I have sent an e-mail to the Rush Backstage Club Customer Care people explaining the mix up and requesting just a copy of LP 5 to complete my set. Hopefully they get back to me within the 48 hour window their website claims they get back to people within. I was very polite in the e-mail, though I am a bit bummed I'm not going to be finishing the records tonight.

And they got right back to me! My person who responded is checking with her team to see if they can send me the missing record... or if I'll have to send the whole package back to them to be replaced... ugh, I hope not the latter that would be a major pain.

• Like 3

Really impressive super deluxe box set. I went all out as I have for all their Anniversary box set’s. 

The live show is amazing.

The goodies all really well done.

And the box itself is very thick and sturdy. Such a great piece to add to my Rush fandom. 

Onto Signals!!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, exiled yorkie said:

The R40 hoodie, my backprint has disappeared after one wash in cold and air dried. Hopefully Showtech will send me a replacement. I paid a lot for it, I expect a better quality product

I always think of a chunky chocolate bar that has been banned from the kitchen when I see your name.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:27 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

And they got right back to me! My person who responded is checking with her team to see if they can send me the missing record... or if I'll have to send the whole package back to them to be replaced... ugh, I hope not the latter that would be a major pain.

And so what, dear Entre_Perpetuo, did they decide? 

Are you packing up used newspapers and stuffing a big box to return the set..or will they send you the missing record?

Any news, yet?

On 5/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, ytserush said:

Never a huge fan of Limelight, still think the King Biscuit version is the best one ever. Just the only version that sounds "right" to me.

sorry, which version is this??  I'm guessing you're referring to ESL Video?? Thanks

Edited by currygoat11

2 hours ago, currygoat11 said:

sorry, which version is this??  I'm guessing you're referring to ESL Video?? Thanks

If ytserush is referring to the King Biscuit Flower Hour which aired in the autumn of 1981, this would be the same performance as that on Exit... Stage Left.  There was also a King Biscuit featuring Rush on the Grace Under Pressure tour (recorded in Toronto; same as the Grace Under Pressure Tour video, featuring Count Floyd!), but they did not perform Limelight during that concert.

There was a Rush/King Biscuit Flower Hour which aired in 1995, which did include Limelight, but this was a program which borrowed from both the previous Exit... Stage Left and Grace Under Pressure programs (i.e., this was Limelight from Exit... Stage Left).

• Like 1

It's on the 1999 King Biscuit "Best of the Best" compilation shown here:  

Best Of The Best (Welcome To The King Biscuit Flower Hour) (1999, CD) - Discogs.

It seems to be the version on the ESL video, but I haven't heard it so can't comment on whether it is the same or how the sound quality compares with the video version...

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:50 PM, Tim Sawyer said:

It's on the 1999 King Biscuit "Best of the Best" compilation shown here:  

Best Of The Best (Welcome To The King Biscuit Flower Hour) (1999, CD) - Discogs.

It seems to be the version on the ESL video, but I haven't heard it so can't comment on whether it is the same or how the sound quality compares with the video version...

this has the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio recording,  this is the one right?  It's from '84 but they play Limelight from '81

https://rushradio.net/mob_kbfh.php

Edited by currygoat11
  • Like 1