"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

Well it has become obvious.

Broon HATES Pratt.

can you elaborate? Do you think the mix on the drums is lacking? that's fine, I kind of wish the bass drum was more punchy and prominent, but who knows if this was even achievable.

I don’t really think he hates Peart - but the drum mixes on the last 3 releases have been lacking, whereas everything else has sounded incredible.

Well it has become obvious.

Broon HATES Pratt.

can you elaborate? Do you think the mix on the drums is lacking? that's fine, I kind of wish the bass drum was more punchy and prominent, but who knows if this was even achievable.

I don’t really think he hates Peart - but the drum mixes on the last 3 releases have been lacking, whereas everything else has sounded incredible.

I agree with you. So Terry mixed the 40th AFTK, PW and MP.

Regarding the Hammersmith Odeon London recording which is on both the 40th AFTK and Different Stages disc 3 ----> in my view the the audio fidelity on Different Stages disc 3 is just so much better sounding.

• Like 1

Regarding the Hammersmith Odeon London recording which is on both the 40th AFTK and Different Stages disc 3 ----> in my view the the audio fidelity on Different Stages disc 3 is just so much better sounding.

You're joking, right? DS disc 3 was blasted all to hell - the EQ (on the drums in particular but the mix as a whole) was atrocious and it was absolutely hammered with a compressor that sucked all the life out of it. They tried very, very hard to make it sound like it was recorded in 1996, not 1977. Terry's mix blows it out of the water, there's absolutely no comparing the two.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 1

Got my shipping notification last night. This is for the 3CD set and a couple of t-shirts.

Should be here by Thursday.

You're joking, right? DS disc 3 was blasted all to hell - the EQ (on the drums in particular but the mix as a whole) was atrocious and it was absolutely hammered with a compressor that sucked all the life out of it. They tried very, very hard to make it sound like it was recorded in 1996, not 1977. Terry's mix blows it out of the water, there's absolutely no comparing the two.

I agree that the Different Stages mix sounds better to my ears. There's no right or wrong answers here, we just have different tastes :)

It's probably having this mix as the only source of the concert for 20+ years!!

In Terry's mix, the crowd is WAY too quiet if you compare the two mixes. On Different Stages, it feels like you're standing in the middle of the audience, so it makes the concert more exciting as I'm feeding off the crowd's energy! :) The sound effects for "By Tor", again on Terry's they are VERY quiet in the mix.

I think if we'd never heard the Different Stages mix, we'd obviously be none the wiser and Terry's mix would be truly FANTASTIC (as band wise it is!!) but "it is what it is" as they say :)

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the 2 mixes out of interest? I'm assuming Terry is mixing the gigs from his era with the band because he owns the copyright to the recordings, being as he originally recorded them?

If so, how come that didn't apply for Different Stages? Wouldn't it have been easier for the Kings 40th to have released the full Different Stages mix, rather than pay Terry to re-mix it??

I'm just curious!! :)

• Like 1

Rush - Tom Sawyer (Live in YYZ 1981 / Audio)

BRILLIANT stuff!!! :) :)

If it's sounding THIS good on Youtube...I can't wait to crank this one up on Friday!!!

P.S. I'm from the UK too, Amazon are still saying it'll be with me Friday.

P.P.S. Without derailing the thread too much, has anyone heard any rumblings of a Signals 40th boxset?

When do we reckon it would be released, in time for Christmas (so it's actually released in the 40th year), or 2023 to stop market fatigue?

P.S. I'm from the UK too, Amazon are still saying it'll be with me Friday.

P.P.S. Without derailing the thread too much, has anyone heard any rumblings of a Signals 40th boxset?

When do we reckon it would be released, in time for Christmas (so it's actually released in the 40th year), or 2023 to stop market fatigue?

Did you order via Amazon UK? They're still showing temporarily unavailable.

I imagine if a Signals 40th is in the pipeline it will be next year, which would tie in with the anniversary of the New World Tour anyway.

Also keeps things evenly spaced for a GUP 40th in 2024 and Power Windows in 2025.

I got the white vinyl and it's in VA right now but I'm figuring it's going to take at least a week.

you know, after going back and A-B comparing them again right now, I am noticing details in the Terry mix (ride cymbal) that is drowned out in on Different Stages disc 3..

Did you order via Amazon UK? They're still showing temporarily unavailable.

I imagine if a Signals 40th is in the pipeline it will be next year, which would tie in with the anniversary of the New World Tour anyway.

Also keeps things evenly spaced for a GUP 40th in 2024 and Power Windows in 2025.

Hi,

Yes Amazon UK. I double checked my order today and it does now say April 29th typically! I only checked it literally on Friday and it said then it was coming April 15th. Oh well :)

I suppose that release schedule makes sense. It's just technically these last two releases haven't been released on the 40th anniversary, but what can you do?! :)

Got my shipping notification last night. This is for the 3CD set and a couple of t-shirts.

While you're waiting you can listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1sAi4Mo6o

Thanks. Very tasty. I may just have to put this on repeat for a while. :)

• Like 1

While you're waiting you can listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1sAi4Mo6o

Thanks. Very tasty. I may just have to put this on repeat for a while. :)

Try this one as well from the same gig:

• Like 1

My copy arrived a day earlier than the tracking number said it would! The sticker on the package even has tomorrows date on it, so they must've not had much else to deliver today!

IT'S HUGE. Guys, this is the thickest box of any of the 40th editions so far! 1.5-2x as thick as the previous ones (I think AFTK might have been the biggest prior to this, because I have some memory of them scaling back a bit for Hemispheres after the AFTK box got some price complaints and perhaps not as many people bought it). I had started a Rush marathon leading up to MP earlier today thinking I could get through at least all the studio albums before tomorrow evening, but now I guess I'm skipping straight from CoS to MP! I haven't even taken off the shrink wrap yet. In the past these have all been Christmas gifts for me, so to have one just arrive at my doorstep purchased with my own money in the middle of April has me a little careful not to undersell the moment in my head.

I also got a couple other albums I had ordered or pre-ordered in the mail today, so it honestly does feel a bit like Christmas. :)

• Like 2

My copy arrived a day earlier than the tracking number said it would! The sticker on the package even has tomorrows date on it, so they must've not had much else to deliver today!

IT'S HUGE. Guys, this is the thickest box of any of the 40th editions so far! 1.5-2x as thick as the previous ones (I think AFTK might have been the biggest prior to this, because I have some memory of them scaling back a bit for Hemispheres after the AFTK box got some price complaints and perhaps not as many people bought it). I had started a Rush marathon leading up to MP earlier today thinking I could get through at least all the studio albums before tomorrow evening, but now I guess I'm skipping straight from CoS to MP! I haven't even taken off the shrink wrap yet. In the past these have all been Christmas gifts for me, so to have one just arrive at my doorstep purchased with my own money in the middle of April has me a little careful not to undersell the moment in my head.

I also got a couple other albums I had ordered or pre-ordered in the mail today, so it honestly does feel a bit like Christmas. :)

I wonder if they'll do a Fly By Night set for the 50th in 2025?

• Like 1

If they do then there better be a CoS set too!

• Like 1

If they do then there better be a CoS set too!

With a pop-out owl and a 3D gold coin!

• Like 3

The liner notes are great. They read like TRF members talking about first getting into Rush, except they're actually written by a bunch of legendary musicians. Kim Thayil in particular really went in depth. And Taylor Hawkins tells a short but just perfect anecdote.
  • Like 2

My copy is here! FOUR days early; ordered from the Backstage Club. This live show is just friggin' amazing!

Hey... I just talked to you on the hoffman forum! Nice to see you are here as well!

• Like 2