"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

All three of the ones I have are good although there are some doubts around whether the Stadthalle show is exactly what is says it is.

My personal favourite is the Detroit show - know as Buenos Nochas! Motor City.

The tracks from the Stadthalle soundboard that were from a completely different recording were Cygnus X-1 and Something For Nothing, which were recorded at one of the four nights at the Hammersmith in London in May 1979. They were edited in by Ian Grandy to "complete" the setlist (the tape was originally made for Geddy), since those two songs were dropped from the setlist for all dates in Germany.

Personally my favorite is the Detroit board as well, but I think the Tuscon one is just as good. Tucson does have a temporary quality change during Hemispheres, but every single source is like this, so if it was a filled cut, I'd assume it was done by Ian Grandy. Both of these board boots have versions with their known cuts filled in from each other, which are completely unnoticeable due to the near identical quality and performances being only a few days apart. Tuscon had a cut during the quiet part of "Cygnus: Bringer of Balance" of Hemispheres, filled in from Detroit, and Detroit was missing the beginning of Working Man, filled in from Tuscon. The cuts are small enough for the fills not to bother me that much (referring to historical inaccuracy), and I really really enjoy those versions of those two shows.

While I also really enjoy the performance of the Offenbach Stadthalle board, the edits of Cygnus X-1 and Something For Nothing are noticeable, so it detracts a slight bit from it being my favorite.

Also multiple shows were recorded on the Pow and HYF tours for the A Show of Hands album, so box sets for both would seem to be easy and a no-brainer.

I think I recall reading that they started making sure to record at least several shows from every tour 1980 or 1981 and onward, recording more from each tour as time went on as doing so became easier. I imagine they have plenty material for future 40th Anniversary sets if the label sees this line continuing to be profitable.

I'm not sure if it's due to the ESL video being made for TV (it wasn't available to purchase on VHS for quite some time after). Possibly the production company retained/ disposed of the original footage? Hard to believe these days :(

Here's a clip of it being premiered on MTV...

That's been my whole theory why they always re-release the same old poor transfers and haven't even released a remastered version of the truncated footage; the copy used for the MTV premiere is possibly all they have, or is just the easiest thing to use without putting a lot of time and money into.

I dunno, as a younger fan who's only got officially released live stuff, the Pinkpop festival always sounded like the stuff of legend to me. The one where Alex had hurt his finger the night before and they somehow still totally rocked. I'm glad to have it personally.

I was plenty happy to get an official release of the Pinkpop show, I think that mastering sounds better than even the best of the bootleg sources I've heard.

My thing is: with the other board tapes out there, perhaps more than those we know about, a complete setlist of a tour as monumental as the Hemispheres tour would've been the best way to represent it for the 40th Anniversary, especially after they gave us a full AFTK setlist for the AFTK 40th, it seemed a bit of a step backwards, probably to cut costs. Even if they had to handpick songs like with the PeW 40th, it seems completely strange not to include a recording of Hemispheres performed in its entirety versus just The Sphere performed for the short set at PinkPop. That also goes for a recording of Circumstances. If the choice of PinkPop wasn't to cut costs, I imagine they just weren't satisfied with the quality of the other complete recordings to be used for an official release.

I... just noticed that when you pointed it out... the Signals dog? On this album cover? He has no reason to be there, yet there he is... I think you're absolutely right, Duck! That's a stone cold hint that Hugh Syme wants us thinking about Signals and the 40th anniversary of it, which happens to be this year technically!

I think a Signals 40th has a pretty good chance to happen. Unless they want to get one ready near the holidays of this year, I'd more expect it to happen in 2023. Two a year seems to be rushing things. The Signals tour extended well into 1983, so releasing it next year doesn't seem too out of place, definitely not more so than the MP set coming out in 2022.

Edited by By-Tor X-1
  • Like 3

For the Hemispheres set they should have binned the Pink Pop Festival tapes and given us a gig with this setlist instead, like this one from Southampton 1979:

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part II: Apollo

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part III: Dionysus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Yeah, using the PInk Pop show was a disappointment - not really representative of the Hemispheres tour as it was just a festival set.

There are some cracking soundboards from that tour available, I have sets from Tuscon, Detroit and Stadthalle Germany.

The set list on the Hemispheres tour was fantastic.

I dunno, as a younger fan who's only got officially released live stuff, the Pinkpop festival always sounded like the stuff of legend to me. The one where Alex had hurt his finger the night before and they somehow still totally rocked. I'm glad to have it personally.

For the Pink Pop show, the Taurus Pedals on LVS are sublime. Superior to the studio track, IMO. With a subwoofer you can feel them. I can only imagine what that sounded (felt) like at the show.

The St. Louis '80 boot has absolutely unreal bass on those pedals. I love it for that reason alone. You need one hell of a subwoofer to do them justice.

• Like 5

Well, based on the youtube video just posted of Vital Signs from "Live In YYZ 1981", I cannot really say for sure this is from 3/25/81. It definitely sounds like the 3/24 one. IN ANY CASE I am so happy we're getting this treasure unearthed from the depths of the archives after all these years! Edited by currygoat11
  • Like 1

I will check the recording floating around from the 25th, but a quick check on YouTube does have the 24th and the version there sounds quite a bit like this.

I wonder if somehow, the dates did get mixed up.

There has been suggestion that La Villa Strangiato on ESL comes from the 24th. Perhaps they picked the whole show that take is from on ESL?

Edit: In doing a check, I believe that Currygoat is right.

I wonder now if the whole show is really the 24th instead of the 25th.

Edited by 78jazz
  • Like 1

To all the folks that think there's no demand for 40th Anniversary sets after Signals, you're so wrong. I'm 53. Plenty of us grow up during your much despised "keyboard era" and it is the soundtrack of our teenage years. Grace Under Pressure was my first new Rush release and my grails are a full audio show which includes the Red Lenses drum solo and the best version of Between the Wheels + the full concert video on Blu-Ray. After that, I'd flip for full audio/video shows of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test for Echo. I know there are bits and pieces of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Test for Echo out there, but I crave full professionally mixed shows of all those tours and video would be amazing! Rush made a hell of a lot of albums post Terry Brown and there are many of us who love them just as much as you folks enjoy the Terry Brown era.

I'm with you, but a lot of rock radio fans jumped ship around then.

Their loss. I wish they offered some of the stuff that's included with the LPs with the 3 cd set. I have no use for records so went with the compact discs.

• Like 1

So how quick is the 3 cd edition actually gonna ship to people? The shipping options are 7-21 days for 13 bucks additional and 60 bucks for 4-5 day delivery? WTF

Ridiculous

Just get it from here:

https://www.amazon.com/Moving-Pictures-40th-Anniversary-Deluxe/dp/B09SGYNMTL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3A7V0M9Q16JN7&keywords=rush+moving+pictures+40th+anniversary&qid=1645915350&s=music&sprefix=rush+moving+pictures%2Cpopular%2C231&sr=1-2

• Like 1

On Vital Signs from "Live In YYZ 1981", it's amazing how isolated the guitar is to the left channel. There a little guitar on the right channel, but it's very distant. I like it. I wonder if the whole recording will be like this....

Have only listened via my phone so far, but the sound is more reminiscent of the ESL film than the LP, which is a good thing in my book!

• Like 2

On Vital Signs from "Live In YYZ 1981", it's amazing how isolated the guitar is to the left channel. There a little guitar on the right channel, but it's very distant. I like it. I wonder if the whole recording will be like this....

Have only listened via my phone so far, but the sound is more reminiscent of the ESL film than the LP, which is a good thing in my book!

I never really liked Vital Signs.... but I like THIS Vital Signs. They were killing it.

• Like 4

I will check the recording floating around from the 25th, but a quick check on YouTube does have the 24th and the version there sounds quite a bit like this.

I wonder if somehow, the dates did get mixed up.

There has been suggestion that La Villa Strangiato on ESL comes from the 24th. Perhaps they picked the whole show that take is from on ESL?

Edit: In doing a check, I believe that Currygoat is right.

I wonder now if the whole show is really the 24th instead of the 25th.

I really hope the beginning of La Villa was restored.

• Like 1

Listening to Vital Signs live on this recording leaves zero doubt in my mind that Terry Brown was Rush’s greatest producer by far. The sounds, engineering and production are so much richer under his guidance it’s tragic that he didn’t remain on board (or return at some point).

On a side note, the release of this track has me excited for what a 40th anniversary edition of Signals might hold.

Edited by caskof43
  • Like 1

La Villa Strangiato on ESL comes from the 24th

regarding La Villa Strangiato, I did some serious listening to the aud recordings from 3/23, 3/24, 3/25 and the 3/24 date captures the 'lions share' of what we hear on Exit Stage Left. But not everything aligns.There are subtle differences really all over the place. Small example -- during the solo, after the calm melodic part, when Alex maxes the volume and hits that

, he pretty much always hits that note 3 or 4 times. On ESL those notes are truncated at the beginning. I'm telling you, some serious patching / splicing / mish-mashing / studio overdub editing was done on ESL. I think it's even possible they mix-matched parts from different nights into the same song, but I have no absolute evidence of this.

Don't get me wrong, I love ESL and it's my favorite live album period.

I think it's even possible they mix-matched parts from different nights into the same song, but I have no absolute evidence of this.

I do not have evidence either, but that sort of thing would not surprise me.

Hey they just released Vital Signs from "Live In YYZ 1981" on youtube.

Delicious......Rush at the absolute peak of their powers.....sonically it never was any better than this tour. Just perfection.

Edited by Todem

I concur that Vital Signs from "Live In YYZ" is undoubtedly from March 24. I played a few seconds of the official track, then played the same few seconds of the audience recording, and go back and forth through the whole song paying close attention to the way Geddy sings for the most part, as the vocals are the easiest way to identify. Also paying attention to any standout instrumental bits that could be unique. I'd used this technique to determine the dates of the PeW 40th and some other official recordings in the past.

My most likely theory here is that they simply labeled the wrong date, the entire show is likely March 24 and not March 25. If this is surprising, remember that the Hemispheres 40th Anniversary's version of 2112 was labeled as being the Tuscon '78 version, but it was actually the Offenbach Stadthalle '79 version. The other possible scenario, they mix-matched several songs from the three nights in Toronto '81, but the fact they actually gave us the March 25th date, not just "Live in YYZ", leads me to believe it was meant to be from all one performance. The PeW 40th didn't give us dates, rather just the cities, which all happened to be locations they marathoned consecutive nights at, so comparing to old audience recordings were the only way I was able to denote the exact dates.

Interestingly, the March 25 audience recording was unblocked on YouTube a few days ago, after having been blocked a couple weeks before the MP 40th reveal. Now the March 24 recording has been blocked as of a few days ago. So I'm going to guess whoever issued the copyright claim realized the date error, and probably the entire "Live In YYZ" is March 24.

This kind of stuff may be trivial to some people, but I'm a stickler for historical details and accuracy. I find it interesting that they got the date wrong on an official release yet again.

Speaking of that, what's this talk about ESL being recorded in Toronto? I know the ESL footage was from Montreal March 27, but the LP is stated to be from Montreal March 27 as well (not counting Side 2), albeit a completely different mastering and much studio tampering. Were they already labeling dates incorrectly this far back? I'll have to look into this some more. If true, that old saying goes, you learn something new every day.

Edited by By-Tor X-1
  • Like 3

but it was actually the Offenbach Stadthalle '79 version

Yeah true, and the speed of 2112 from Hemispheres 40th (Offenbach) is also running too slow (~ 2.5%). It's a small thing to some, but I notice such things for some crazy reason!

If it's really exclusively Mar 24, we will get a unique perspective on how ESL compares (La Villa).

Let's see, maybe it will be mix-matched as you say.

• Like 1

but it was actually the Offenbach Stadthalle '79 version

Yeah true, and the speed of 2112 from Hemispheres 40th (Offenbach) is also running too slow (~ 2.5%). It's a small thing to some, but I notice such things for some crazy reason!

If it's really exclusively Mar 24, we will get a unique perspective on how ESL compares (La Villa).

Let's see, maybe it will be mix-matched as you say.

I get why La Villa was cut in the fist place as it's total off-the-wall improv but it's going to be awesome to hear the restored version is that's the recording they used.