"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

Disappointed this still doesn't include a full length video of the MP/ESL setlist. I guess what wasn't released either never existed or has been lost. So yeah, just 3 cd set for me too. Audio of full show will be worth it and hopefully there is a noticeable difference in the remastering of the album proper as well.

Baffling that there isn't complete footage, I realize it was shot on film and I suppose the budget would go up a fair bit to soot the entire show and then process all the footage, but surely they could have managed that for the 1 Montreal show. Even more perplexing is if the Toronto MLG 1984 shows (both nights) aren't in existence. That was either M or betacam video and the cameras were rolling both nights. Unless they used the first night as strictly rehearsal for the video crew, there's no good reason that those complete shows shouldn't exist somewhere in someone's vault.

There are some shenanigans going on here on the live sample from the youtube preview...

At this point Geddy is singing "everybody got to elevate from the norm" ... but the note for "norm" is spot-on. Normally (in all cases I've heard) he will start the word a half-step down in pitch. It's odd and caught my ear the 1st time I heard the sample. And it doesn't jive from the aud recordings either...

I just have a feeling they have gone through the multi-tracks carefully and possibly made slight adjustments here and there.

You're right, it's definitely different.

But it doesn't sound like they made an adjustment to my ears. It sounds more like a totally different take. Now we know Rush swear they never kept alternate takes, and there are none listed in the track list for this album, so my guess is what we're hearing in the unboxing video is actually the live rendition included in the "Live In YYZ" full concert recording. The drums and guitar sound a little more live to me as well, though it's weird that the vocal is so pronounced in the mix, but then that may just be the mix of the unboxing video and not the song itself.

In any case I find it very unlikely that they went back and doctored any of the studio recordings, especially without Neil in the room. It just wouldn't make sense seeing as 1. they haven't done that to any of the other albums since they've been doing these 40th anniversary releases, and 2. Moving Pictures is, note for note, perhaps the most perfect recording Rush ever made. I would not be surprised if the band themselves agreed with that sentiment.

• Like 1

There are some shenanigans going on here on the live sample from the youtube preview...

At this point Geddy is singing "everybody got to elevate from the norm" ... but the note for "norm" is spot-on. Normally (in all cases I've heard) he will start the word a half-step down in pitch. It's odd and caught my ear the 1st time I heard the sample. And it doesn't jive from the aud recordings either...

I just have a feeling they have gone through the multi-tracks carefully and possibly made slight adjustments here and there.

But it doesn't sound like they made an adjustment to my ears. It sounds more like a totally different take. Now we know Rush swear they never kept alternate takes, and there are none listed in the track list for this album, so my guess is what we're hearing in the unboxing video is actually the live rendition included in the "Live In YYZ" full concert recording. The drums and guitar sound a little more live to me as well, though it's weird that the vocal is so pronounced in the mix, but then that may just be the mix of the unboxing video and not the song itself.

In any case I find it very unlikely that they went back and doctored any of the studio recordings, especially without Neil in the room. It just wouldn't make sense seeing as 1. they haven't done that to any of the other albums since they've been doing these 40th anniversary releases, and 2. Moving Pictures is, note for note, perhaps the most perfect recording Rush ever made. I would not be surprised if the band themselves agreed with that sentiment.

Ummm... It's the live version.

• Like 2

Disappointed this still doesn't include a full length video of the MP/ESL setlist. I guess what wasn't released either never existed or has been lost. So yeah, just 3 cd set for me too. Audio of full show will be worth it and hopefully there is a noticeable difference in the remastering of the album proper as well.

IIRC, the band has said that no unused ESL footage survived.

• Like 1

Ummm... It's the live version.

Thank you for confirming, that's what I thought.

For the Hemispheres set they should have binned the Pink Pop Festival tapes and given us a gig with this setlist instead, like this one from Southampton 1979:

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part II: Apollo

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part III: Dionysus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

2112 Part III: Discovery

2112 Part IV: Presentation

2112 Part VI: Soliloquy

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

• Like 3

For the Hemispheres set they should have binned the Pink Pop Festival tapes and given us a gig with this setlist instead, like this one from Southampton 1979:

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Yeah, using the PInk Pop show was a disappointment - not really representative of the Hemispheres tour as it was just a festival set.

There are some cracking soundboards from that tour available, I have sets from Tuscon, Detroit and Stadthalle Germany.

The set list on the Hemispheres tour was fantastic.

• Like 3

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Yeah, using the PInk Pop show was a disappointment - not really representative of the Hemispheres tour as it was just a festival set.

There are some cracking soundboards from that tour available, I have sets from Tuscon, Detroit and Stadthalle Germany.

Which one is the best of all?

• Like 1

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

All three of the ones I have are good although there are some doubts around whether the Stadthalle show is exactly what is says it is.

My personal favourite is the Detroit show - know as Buenos Nochas! Motor City.

• Like 1

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

All three of the ones I have are good although there are some doubts around whether the Stadthalle show is exactly what is says it is.

Is the Detroit one a better performance or is it just a better recording or both or something else?

• Like 1

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Is the Detroit one a better performance or is it just a better recording or both or something else?

Actually the Tuscon set has a fractionally better sound but has a slight cut in Cygnus-X1 and Hemispheres - other than that it is great.
  • Like 1

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Actually the Tuscon set has a fractionally better sound but has a slight cut in Cygnus-X1 and Hemispheres - other than that it is great.

Great!

To all the folks that think there's no demand for 40th Anniversary sets after Signals, you're so wrong. I'm 53. Plenty of us grow up during your much despised "keyboard era" and it is the soundtrack of our teenage years. Grace Under Pressure was my first new Rush release and my grails are a full audio show which includes the Red Lenses drum solo and the best version of Between the Wheels + the full concert video on Blu-Ray. After that, I'd flip for full audio/video shows of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test for Echo. I know there are bits and pieces of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Test for Echo out there, but I crave full professionally mixed shows of all those tours and video would be amazing! Rush made a hell of a lot of albums post Terry Brown and there are many of us who love them just as much as you folks enjoy the Terry Brown era.

Also multiple shows were recorded on the Pow and HYF tours for the A Show of Hands album, so box sets for both would seem to be easy and a no-brainer.

Baffling that there isn't complete footage, I realize it was shot on film and I suppose the budget would go up a fair bit to soot the entire show and then process all the footage, but surely they could have managed that for the 1 Montreal show.

I'm not sure if it's due to the ESL video being made for TV (it wasn't available to purchase on VHS for quite some time after). Possibly the production company retained/ disposed of the original footage? Hard to believe these days :(

Here's a clip of it being premiered on MTV...

• Like 2

Baffling that there isn't complete footage, I realize it was shot on film and I suppose the budget would go up a fair bit to soot the entire show and then process all the footage, but surely they could have managed that for the 1 Montreal show.

I'm not sure if it's due to the ESL video being made for TV (it wasn't available to purchase on VHS for quite some time after). Possibly the production company retained/ disposed of the original footage? Hard to believe these days :(

Here's a clip of it being premiered on MTV...

The good old days. I was stoked to watch it for the first time.

Best video ever shown on mtv . Imo

• Like 1

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

I dunno, as a younger fan who's only got officially released live stuff, the Pinkpop festival always sounded like the stuff of legend to me. The one where Alex had hurt his finger the night before and they somehow still totally rocked. I'm glad to have it personally.

• Like 3

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

I dunno, as a younger fan who's only got officially released live stuff, the Pinkpop festival always sounded like the stuff of legend to me. The one where Alex had hurt his finger the night before and they somehow still totally rocked. I'm glad to have it personally.

For the Pink Pop show, the Taurus Pedals on LVS are sublime. Superior to the studio track, IMO. With a subwoofer you can feel them. I can only imagine what that sounded (felt) like at the show.

• Like 2

If you look at the cover there's a clue there that's quite encouraging if you're looking for more of these sets.

40th.jpg

I... just noticed that when you pointed it out... the Signals dog? On this album cover? He has no reason to be there, yet there he is... I think you're absolutely right, Duck! That's a stone cold hint that Hugh Syme wants us thinking about Signals and the 40th anniversary of it, which happens to be this year technically!

• Like 5

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

For the Pink Pop show, the Taurus Pedals on LVS are sublime. Superior to the studio track, IMO. With a subwoofer you can feel them. I can only imagine what that sounded (felt) like at the show.

Ooooo I must relisten to them now that I have some decent speakers. No subwoofer yet, but some day soon!

• Like 2

If you look at the cover there's a clue there that's quite encouraging if you're looking for more of these sets.

40th.jpg

I... just noticed that when you pointed it out... the Signals dog? On this album cover? He has no reason to be there, yet there he is... I think you're absolutely right, Duck! That's a stone cold hint that Hugh Syme wants us thinking about Signals and the 40th anniversary of it, which happens to be this year technically!

I can't wait to see all the modern renovations to the Lerxtwood Mall.

• Like 3

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Ooooo I must relisten to them now that I have some decent speakers. No subwoofer yet, but some day soon!

Play loud for maximum effect. :)

• Like 2

Anthem

A Passage to Bangkok

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

The Trees

Cygnus X-1

Closer to the Heart

A Farewell to Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In the Mood

Drum Solo

Play loud for maximum effect. :)

Hopefully I have some time tomorrow while my neighbors aren't home!

• Like 3

Also, just gonna put this out there... is this Hugh Syme's best 40th anniversary album cover? I mean, by most accounts I've read on here, the others haven't been well liked. 2112's was pretty boring, AFTK seemed to miss the charm of the original (though personally I do really like that one), Hemispheres' was too gray and PeW's was also too gray but basically a less good version of the original. This one is... different. It's bright, and it reminds me a lot of the covers for those Retrospectives compilations, which I've always liked. Rush albums in a museum, like the great works of art they are! This is a bit different of course, but it retains the art gallery kind of effect while presenting it differently than the original, in a more stylized manner. I probably still like the AFTK 40th cover more, but I think Hugh is finally getting past his really gray phase!
  • Like 4

Alright. I did my budget today and was shocked and thrilled to discover I can totally afford this. Just pre-ordered it. Super deluxe. Supposedly should arrive two days after the shipping date which would make this the greatest Easter gift ever.
  • Like 3