"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

I think I would be interested in some sort of box set/vinyl up through to T4E. After that, they released full live shows for every tour. And yes I know that DS was a full T4E show - but it never came out on vinyl ;). Just not super deluxe versions - space is an issue with all these box sets Edited by taurus

I pre-ordered last night, I'm more than pleased. Despite some who still kept doubting it was going to happen, I've been confident that this was still coming after Alex and Hugh Syme re-confirmed it last year. Though I expected another mashup of select live tracks from various MP tour dates like they did for the PeW 40th (with the annoying fades between songs). I initially suspected some would be from Edmonton June 25, since that version of 2112 Overture / Temples was used for the 2112 Deluxe Edition released in 2012, which also featured A Passage To Bangkok from Manchester 1980 later reused for the PeW 40th set.

More recently I also had had a feeling some tracks would be from Toronto March 25, because they randomly blocked the old audience recording on YouTube a couple weeks ago.

I'm more than ecstatic they're releasing a complete setlist again from a single show, something they haven't done since the AFTK 40th.

I did not expect that at all. I sadly didn't think they'd put in the time, effort, and money for this type of output again.

In the meantime, I'm going to relisten to the audience recording of the March 25 show (and the previous two nights in Toronto) this weekend to reacquaint myself with the performance, in anticipation for the new mix.

I was dreaming for a remastered release of the Montreal footage (ESL), ideally even the complete concert if the full footage still exists, but I knew that was a lot to expect, so I didn't have high hopes.

It seems all they have left are old tape transfers used for the MTV premiere in the early 80s, which don't look that amazing. I'm not even really a serious videophile, it's just too dark and grainy.

I've heard mixed stores whether the original film reels still exist or not, but I imagine the truth is no one really knows, even if someone (here I think) once claimed the original film canisters were seen during making "Beyond The Lighted Stage".

All the other miscellaneous items in the package are what I'd expect based on previous 40th releases, but the drum sticks and die-cast Red Barchetta were a surprise and are really cool.

I don't have any complaints, and despite having certain feelings/concerns about some of the previous 40th sets (which I still love), I'm not hard to please when it comes to live material and am still always happy they give us anything in the first place. I hope the trend of using full concerts continues if they'll keep on with the 40th releases. Ideally I'd like to see them just launch a new line of purely CD releases (and digital for the non-physical audience), each release being a set of discs with all recordings they have sitting around in the archives for each tour (or at least 5 or so of the best concerts), something akin to Yes's "Seven Shows from Seventy-Two", and call each set something like "Rush Archives Legacy: Moving Pictures Tour 1981", etc. It would be easier to produce and sell cheaper (and probably sell better), and would give us dedicated fans satisfaction knowing cool live recordings are no longer sitting around unused and rotting for decades. These could even feature unheard demos and rare singles. Assuming recordings from the early tours in their possession is just as scarce as has been hinted, one set could be "Rush Archives Legacy: The Early Years 1973 - 1976", and finally feature a re-release of Not Fade Away / You Can't Fight It, and stuff like the Agora shows we all know if that's all they have. I don't think they have much pre-1978, but at the least we know they still have the three June 1976 Massey Hall recordings used to compile All The World's A Stage, all three which I'd personally love to hear in completion. Considering they pulled The Twilight Zone from the 17 April 1977 audience recording (and ruined it by upping the pitch way too high) for the 2112 40th, I don't imagine they really have much else, if anything, recorded from that era.

I hope someone at the record company sees this and at least takes note of the idea. Anyway, getting off my fantasy ramblings, I don't really expect them to go on too much longer with these huge, physical content filled, pricey 40th Anniversary sets, based on the overall audience scope, but I'm at least hoping for Signals since there are no known soundboards from that tour in circulation. As for that topic:

I wonder which gig they choose for Signals? Maybe Birmingham NEC 1983, the May 14 one! ;)

For me it'd ideally be a gig before Chemistry was dropped from the setlist.

Though if the May '83 shows yield the preferred performances, if they edit in Chemistry from an earlier recording into one of the European shows, I wouldn't be upset about that.

Kind of like how they replaced 2112 in the Pinkpop show with the one from Offenbach (Frankfurt) for Hemispheres 40th, but in proper setlist order this time. (Re-releasing a non-headlining gig like Pinkpop was a bit of a disappointment itself, but that's another topic)

I imagine the Nov 15, 16, & 17 Toronto gigs of 1982 and any of the May 1983 UK gigs would be the most likely candidates to have been recorded by the band. I think I'm seeing a slight trend that they tended to record hometown and overseas the most it seems, as well as consecutive nights marathoned at the same venue.

Edited by By-Tor X-1
  • Like 6

Preordered the 3 CD set, the lyrics, and a shirt.

I love the band, but I have no use for vinyl these days, and no inclination to pay $300 for anything band related ever again. Aint' happening. For any band.

That's where I am. 3CD set. Probably don't need anything else.

These decisions are much easier now that the band isn't involved.

• Like 2

Preordered the 3 CD set, the lyrics, and a shirt.

I love the band, but I have no use for vinyl these days, and no inclination to pay $300 for anything band related ever again. Aint' happening. For any band.

That's where I am. 3CD set. Probably don't need anything else.

These decisions are much easier now that the band isn't involved.

• Like 2

To all the folks that think there's no demand for 40th Anniversary sets after Signals, you're so wrong. I'm 53. Plenty of us grow up during your much despised "keyboard era" and it is the soundtrack of our teenage years. Grace Under Pressure was my first new Rush release and my grails are a full audio show which includes the Red Lenses drum solo and the best version of Between the Wheels + the full concert video on Blu-Ray. After that, I'd flip for full audio/video shows of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test for Echo. I know there are bits and pieces of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Test for Echo out there, but I crave full professionally mixed shows of all those tours and video would be amazing! Rush made a hell of a lot of albums post Terry Brown and there are many of us who love them just as much as you folks enjoy the Terry Brown era.
  • Like 6

I think I would be interested in some sort of box set/vinyl up through to T4E.

Personally I'd have next to no interest in a T4E 40th anniversary release but I certainly hope I'm around to see it!

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to picking up the 3CD set. Super excited! My first ever concert and that was RUSH on this Tour in Toronto, although after all theses Years can't remember which night I went to? I was 11 Years old at the time! :)
  • Like 2

To all the folks that think there's no demand for 40th Anniversary sets after Signals, you're so wrong. I'm 53. Plenty of us grow up during your much despised "keyboard era" and it is the soundtrack of our teenage years. Grace Under Pressure was my first new Rush release and my grails are a full audio show which includes the Red Lenses drum solo and the best version of Between the Wheels + the full concert video on Blu-Ray. After that, I'd flip for full audio/video shows of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test for Echo. I know there are bits and pieces of Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Test for Echo out there, but I crave full professionally mixed shows of all those tours and video would be amazing! Rush made a hell of a lot of albums post Terry Brown and there are many of us who love them just as much as you folks enjoy the Terry Brown era.

I'm with you, but a lot of rock radio fans jumped ship around then. The Signals and Grace Under Pressure Tours pissed a lot of those people off. Unfortunately, bean counters count beans. To be fair though, some of those people have come back around.

• Like 3

If you look at the cover there's a clue there that's quite encouraging if you're looking for more of these sets.

b4013f0bfb7d8424a8b16d0980e61c06

Less of a clue when you look at a lot of Hugh's recent Rush work. He's love throwing that in there whenever he can. But you may be right, I may be crazy.

• Like 2

If you look at the cover there's a clue there that's quite encouraging if you're looking for more of these sets.

b4013f0bfb7d8424a8b16d0980e61c06

Less of a clue when you look at a lot of Hugh's recent Rush work. He's love throwing that in there whenever he can. But you may be right, I may be crazy.

And they have an extra year this time so they can take their time and release the Signals one next year.

• Like 1

Ordered!!

All in.

Sucks that it took so long, but it's the music in my car lately. No scratches...yet. And it's an old CD :heart:

And I love all of the extras.

• Like 1

There are some shenanigans going on here on the live sample from the youtube preview...

At this point Geddy is singing "everybody got to elevate from the norm" ... but the note for "norm" is spot-on. Normally (in all cases I've heard) he will start the word a half-step down in pitch. It's odd and caught my ear the 1st time I heard the sample. And it doesn't jive from the aud recordings either...

I just have a feeling they have gone through the multi-tracks carefully and possibly made slight adjustments here and there.

Edited by currygoat11
  • Like 1

In the meantime, I'm going to relisten to the audience recording of the March 25 show (and the previous two nights in Toronto) this weekend to reacquaint myself with the performance, in anticipation for the new mix.

Too bad the first night was not chosen. That was the best of the run to my ears.

Ideally I'd like to see them just launch a new line of purely CD releases (and digital for the non-physical audience), each release being a set of discs with all recordings they have sitting around in the archives for each tour (or at least 5 or so of the best concerts), something akin to Yes's "Seven Shows from Seventy-Two", and call each set something like "Rush Archives Legacy: Moving Pictures Tour 1981", etc. It would be easier to produce and sell cheaper (and probably sell better), and would give us dedicated fans satisfaction knowing cool live recordings are no longer sitting around unused and rotting for decades.

I won't say I think it would be a cash cow, but I suspect there would be a little bit of coin to be made, especially if they released recordings for which no audience documentation exists.

I imagine the Nov 15, 16, & 17 Toronto gigs of 1982 and any of the May 1983 UK gigs would be the most likely candidates to have been recorded by the band. I think I'm seeing a slight trend that they tended to record hometown and overseas the most it seems, as well as consecutive nights marathoned at the same venue.

I would hope for something early on in the tour. It would be nice to have a show from the era that has nothing circulating from it (September 1982 please, but I am not holding my breath).

• Like 3

Still no word on how to order this one for the RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary. What's confusing me: If I download to my PC, which is connected to my receiver, will it actually play in Dolby TrueHD 5.1?

"Finally, the sixth configuration, the Dolby Atmos Digital Edition, is the digital equivalent of Richard Chycki’s masterful Atmos mix of all seven tracks from the original album."

Disappointed this still doesn't include a full length video of the MP/ESL setlist. I guess what wasn't released either never existed or has been lost. So yeah, just 3 cd set for me too. Audio of full show will be worth it and hopefully there is a noticeable difference in the remastering of the album proper as well.
  • Like 1

Disappointed this still doesn't include a full length video of the MP/ESL setlist. I guess what wasn't released either never existed or has been lost. So yeah, just 3 cd set for me too. Audio of full show will be worth it and hopefully there is a noticeable difference in the remastering of the album proper as well.

A little bit heavier-sounding guitars maybe?

Same here, very disappointed about ESL.