"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

I know the "if you can't say anything nice..." thing and all...but I have to say, I really find Hugh Syme's modern, computer graphic stuff tiresome, and not reflective of the "vibe" of the music it is supposed to be representing. I know it's so subjective, because we're so used to the original album artwork that it becomes synonymous with the record itself... but MP is a simple and effective package with a dark, broody energy about it. He's just muddying it in my opinion. Ever since Test For Echo I've found his work very sterile and emotionless.
  • Like 3

I know the "if you can't say anything nice..." thing and all...but I have to say, I really find Hugh Syme's modern, computer graphic stuff tiresome, and not reflective of the "vibe" of the music it is supposed to be representing. I know it's so subjective, because we're so used to the original album artwork that it becomes synonymous with the record itself... but MP is a simple and effective package with a dark, broody energy about it. He's just muddying it in my opinion. Ever since Test For Echo I've found his work very sterile and emotionless.

I think Neil was able to curb most of his worst impulses, but I do find most of his other work just doesn't appeal to me. His work with Dream Theater is kind of hit or miss and very inconsistent. Of course, it's a lot more difficult to earn a decent living these days doing what he does.so maybe he doesn't spend as much time as he otherwise would. I'm sure working in the digital realm doesn't help with the perception either. I find most of his analog work to be much more individual and unique.

• Like 1

The joke will be well, it's 41. Just like R40 which was 1 year late.

Frankly I'm disappointed. Having a hard time believing that this anniversary will pass, with no good reason for the thing to not be released.

Frankly I'm disappointed. Having a hard time believing that this anniversary will pass, with no good reason for the thing to not be released.

It's not a priority for the record label. Also there's a huge backlog for pressing vinyl which I'm sure is a major factor too.

Expectations are not very high for me. I'm happy to get the Magee 2015 master on CD and whatever unreleased live stuff that comes with it. Not expecting anything definitive like say....King Crimson (but Fripp still owns the recordings in that case.)

It's not a priority for the record label. Also there's a huge backlog for pressing vinyl which I'm sure is a major factor too.

Fair point. Extending tht situation, then I guess it doesn't make sense for them to do CD/HD, and digital first, then vinyl packages later. Probably screws up the marketing and the impact of the releases to split them.

Edited by grep

Fair point. Extending tht situation, then I guess it doesn't make sense for them to do CD/HD, and digital first, then vinyl packages later. Probably screws up the marketing and the impact of the releases to split them.

And yet, there's this abomination - brand f***ing new:

https://www.rushbackstage.com/product/6XLPRU072/rush-icon-vinyl-nov-12-2021-release?cp=102112_102215

6XLPRU072.jpg

https://www.rushback...p=102112_102215

6XLPRU072.jpg

Yeah that seems like it was a label decision and the band themselves had little to do with it.

Also, they almost, ALMOST had one song from every album, but somehow the myth that CoS is as unsuccessful as its tour still persists so they don't include, I dunno, Bastille Day?! Or even Lakeside Park? Shame. They can't even get their cash grab gimmick compilation right.

• Like 2

6XLPRU072.jpg

Yeah that seems like it was a label decision and the band themselves had little to do with it.

Also, they almost, ALMOST had one song from every album, but somehow the myth that CoS is as unsuccessful as its tour still persists so they don't include, I dunno, Bastille Day?! Or even Lakeside Park? Shame. They can't even get their cash grab gimmick compilation right.

"How do we decide what goes on the compilation, boys?"

"I don't know, sir...let's get the dart board out..."

• Like 1

6XLPRU072.jpg

"The Polygram era dart board. They love the old songs, they'll buy old songs!!! "

• Like 3

6XLPRU072.jpg

"The Polygram era dart board. They love the old songs, they'll buy old songs!!! "

Imagine these are what they hit!

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Circumstances (okay they did hit this one)

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

• Like 1

6XLPRU072.jpg

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

While I completely get your point...at least that would be interesting.

• Like 1

6XLPRU072.jpg

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

I wonder if it would sell much.

• Like 1

6XLPRU072.jpg

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

Do you think the other one will sell much? I mean, I struggle with what the point of another compilation with Tom Sawyer and Closer To The Heart on it is. None of it makes sense to me at all...so while it's all meaningless, they may as well throw some deep cuts on there.

6XLPRU072.jpg

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

Do you think the other one will sell much? I mean, I struggle with what the point of another compilation with Tom Sawyer and Closer To The Heart on it is. None of it makes sense to me at all...so while it's all meaningless, they may as well throw some deep cuts on there.

My best guess is that they put out another meaningless semi-popular songs compilation every few years to sell to brand new fans or brand new record collectors who don’t know they’re buying a pretty cash grabby product because they haven’t done much research yet.

• Like 1

6XLPRU072.jpg

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Lessons

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Countdown

Red Lenses

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

My best guess is that they put out another meaningless semi-popular songs compilation every few years to sell to brand new fans or brand new record collectors who don’t know they’re buying a pretty cash grabby product because they haven’t done much research yet.

Echos with the sounds of salesmen.... OF SALESMEN

• Like 2

6XLPRU072.jpg

It's the most recent single disc compilation that was released. They probably new where the tapes were.

I think there have just been a lot of factors this year leading up to this release not being announced yet. The aforementioned supply chain issues are probably the leading cause, but also, this would maybe be the first boxset Neil wasn't able to have any direct input on? Not that the band members do much of the heavy lifting putting these things together, but I have to imagine it's more than a little weird starting from scratch on a retrospective with only Alex and Geddy to give it a look over. And speaking of Geddy, I believe it was just earlier this year that his mother passed away. I'd be surprised if he didn't take a while away from any professional ventures after that happened. Just seems like enough roadblocks came up this year that it may have been better to aim for next year instead.

I bet it has something to do with Geddy’s upcoming book and Alex’s upcoming album.

I’m hoping that there will be some Rush related announcements when those two products hit the market. Perhaps of the release of a deluxe moving pictures set would hurt sales of the book and Lifeson album.

Edited by chemistry1973