"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

Guys, they're going to do a real box set closer to the holidays. It's fine.

Someone has to pick up the ball for this to happen.

maybe someone already has.

Entirely possible. If it happens, it happens. We shall see. If so, a holiday release seems most likely at this point. There's still some time.

With "The Art of Rush - Second Edition" book being announced for release on August 2nd, noted to specifically include the 40th Anniversary releases' artwork, I'd imagine that to mean they don't expect any more 40th Anniversary releases, unless I suppose one for Moving Pictures is announced before August 2nd.

I'm personally in the boat of finding it odd they'd be already promoting MP 40th products and the 30th reissue disc set, and to still expect something later this year.

Even more odd they'd skip MP altogether after these last four releases, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Ole/Anthem no longer cares after perhaps low sales and/or negative feedback. Also considering Any Curran is no longer involved.

That's the problem with Rush's vault content being in the hands of people who aren't passionate about the band. "Not profitable = not worth the effort".

It's really sad and disappointing.

Definitely a disconnect between the label and the fan base and now a total lack of institutional knowledge. One might expect that this potential release might be the crown jewel of them all, but based on the previous 4 reissues, I'm left with a lack of confidence about it. Commemorative backstage passes or notebooks with the album logo on it will only get you so far.

But we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

With "The Art of Rush - Second Edition" book being announced for release on August 2nd, noted to specifically include the 40th Anniversary releases' artwork, I'd imagine that to mean they don't expect any more 40th Anniversary releases, unless I suppose one for Moving Pictures is announced before August 2nd.

I'm personally in the boat of finding it odd they'd be already promoting MP 40th products and the 30th reissue disc set, and to still expect something later this year.

Even more odd they'd skip MP altogether after these last four releases, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Ole/Anthem no longer cares after perhaps low sales and/or negative feedback. Also considering Any Curran is no longer involved.

That's the problem with Rush's vault content being in the hands of people who aren't passionate about the band. "Not profitable = not worth the effort".

Yeah, I want them to continue these box sets (and any other archive releases) so much but I'm only becoming more pessimistic with every bit of news.

Any one of these individually might not be a big deal but it's been one bad sign after another since the previous sets.

1. Andy Curran was very involved with them but he left last year.

2. The official Rush store has already done a promotion for MP's 40th anniversary with nothing new of consequence.

3. Ed Stenger, who runs the Rush Blog news site, has indicated more than once now that it doesn't look like it will happen.

4. Alex himself recently said that there was a special edition of Victor being prepared for release this year with extra tracks similar to Geddy's album but that it had been cancelled. (I realize Moving Pictures is on a different level but still, this is confirmation of at least one product in the pipeline that we KNOW has been cancelled, so something has changed.)

5. Add to that the general chaos of the virus shutdowns and Neil's death in the past year and it just seems like there's no momentum or energy towards these things now.

I sure hope to hell I'm wrong about my gut feeling, but I just don't want to get my hopes up and be even more disappointed. The general "don't worry, it's coming" comments without any info don't help at all. There was a conversation here probably 15 years ago where someone kept arguing that he just knew that full length complete releases of the three 1980s concert videos were coming as soon as bluray technology was available and that I was basically an ill-informed idiot for saying I didn't think we'd ever see any more footage from those. Well, I'm still waiting.

• Like 2

I'm just not buying the idea that because they haven't announced a box set just yet means they won't.

I'm just not buying the idea that because they haven't announced a box set just yet means they won't.

Well I agree with that too, I'm not arguing that we now know they definitely won't do one, it's still very possible they will. My point is that after the previous 4 in a row leading up to their biggest album, anyone with common sense a year would have said "Well of course they're going to do one for MP, it's the most obvious one, continuing after that is a crapshoot though."

Simply put, a year ago I would have said 100% yes it's coming, but now all the clues (in my opinion) have changed that to 30% they will, and 70% they won't. It just doesn't look good. In addition to my list above I left out the new art book that someone else pointed out above comes out in August with "the" 40th anniversary editions included. Not "the current ones", or "the 40th anniversary editions up to this point" but simply "the 40th anniversary editions". Sounds like they're over. And on top of that, Alex did that hour long interview a few weeks ago and didn't any make mention of it, and in previous years even though they may not have been officially announced until close to release there was still usually acknowledgement of them earlier, whether Andy Curran mentioned something or like with Permanent Waves where they promo'd it at the cinema event about 8 months before it was released. There's not even been any reference to one this time. We'll see, it's still possible and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at this point I'll be happily surprised to see it.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what sales have been like for the ones that have been released?

Some of them are pretty expensive, at least here in Canada.

Well I agree with that too, I'm not arguing that we now know they definitely won't do one, it's still very possible they will. My point is that after the previous 4 in a row leading up to their biggest album, anyone with common sense a year would have said "Well of course they're going to do one for MP, it's the most obvious one, continuing after that is a crapshoot though."

Simply put, a year ago I would have said 100% yes it's coming, but now all the clues (in my opinion) have changed that to 30% they will, and 70% they won't. It just doesn't look good. In addition to my list above I left out the new art book that someone else pointed out above comes out in August with "the" 40th anniversary editions included. Not "the current ones", or "the 40th anniversary editions up to this point" but simply "the 40th anniversary editions". Sounds like they're over. And on top of that, Alex did that hour long interview a few weeks ago and didn't any make mention of it, and in previous years even though they may not have been officially announced until close to release there was still usually acknowledgement of them earlier, whether Andy Curran mentioned something or like with Permanent Waves where they promo'd it at the cinema event about 8 months before it was released. There's not even been any reference to one this time. We'll see, it's still possible and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at this point I'll be happily surprised to see it.

I mean, I'm still not buying it. It was an altogether bad year last year and it's very likely that the pandemic and Neil's death both took a toll on the release schedule for this latest 40th box, which is why Alex wouldn't be mentioning it in any interviews. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it came out a year late, but I'd be very surprised if it just didn't come out.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what sales have been like for the ones that have been released?

Some of them are pretty expensive, at least here in Canada.

Well considering they've kept making them for a good few years in a row and the price has never really come down over time, I'd venture to guess they've sold pretty well. Only a small (but dedicated) fraction of the fanbase is on this forum, and often the majority opinion around here (which tends to be that they're a bit too little for a bit too much) isn't shared by Rush fans universally.

• Like 1

I mean, I'm still not buying it. It was an altogether bad year last year and it's very likely that the pandemic and Neil's death both took a toll on the release schedule for this latest 40th box, which is why Alex wouldn't be mentioning it in any interviews. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it came out a year late, but I'd be very surprised if it just didn't come out.

I certainly hope you're right

It's coming.

Considering the R40 tour, there's certainly a precedent for things being celebrated on their 41st anniversary :yes: ;)

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

"...and now a total lack of institutional knowledge..."

Care to elaborate?

Sure. The Rush aesthetic ended when they cashed out. Many of the the people who were with the old Anthem label have since moved on Andy Curran, who appeared to be the liaison between the now new Anthem and the Rush reissues left after the Permanent Waves, has also moved on. So has the band by the way. So my point is that anyone that could put Rush in the correct context likely isn't there anymore and doesn't know the unique relationship the band has with their fanbase.

• Like 2

Yeah, I want them to continue these box sets (and any other archive releases) so much but I'm only becoming more pessimistic with every bit of news.

Any one of these individually might not be a big deal but it's been one bad sign after another since the previous sets.

1. Andy Curran was very involved with them but he left last year.

2. The official Rush store has already done a promotion for MP's 40th anniversary with nothing new of consequence.

3. Ed Stenger, who runs the Rush Blog news site, has indicated more than once now that it doesn't look like it will happen.

4. Alex himself recently said that there was a special edition of Victor being prepared for release this year with extra tracks similar to Geddy's album but that it had been cancelled. (I realize Moving Pictures is on a different level but still, this is confirmation of at least one product in the pipeline that we KNOW has been cancelled, so something has changed.)

5. Add to that the general chaos of the virus shutdowns and Neil's death in the past year and it just seems like there's no momentum or energy towards these things now.

I'd agree with 1,4,and 5 as evidence to support the premise that the Moving Pictures reissue won't happen.

As far as 2 goes, I think featuring the 2011 reissue on the website might be a indicator that it might still happen. It would be a smart business move to sell as many copies of the 2011 as they can before the new reissue comes out.

As for 3...With all due respect to Ed Stenger, he doesn't really know too much more than the rest of us about this. He's just looking at the available evidence so far and drawing the same conclusion as we are.

• Like 1

I'm still at 50-50.

It's coming.

Care to elaborate?

Considering the R40 tour, there's certainly a precedent for things being celebrated on their 41st anniversary :yes: ;)

Possibly the label's escape hatch...

I'm still hoping for a Moving Pictures anniversary set, hopefully coinciding with an Exit...Stage Left FULL concert version live part! (And hopefully mixed as a live album, not what they attempted with the original release)

I still have a tough time listening to ESL.. I have bootlegs from that tour that sound better than that!

be patient.

And I'll be patient after 2024. That's when I hope to have the complete Grace Under Pressure Tour CD AND Blu-Ray! Must have the drum solo/Red Lenses AND the best live version of Between the Wheels!