Met Neil...sound familiar?

Dear Sir

So, Neil used to come over to my house and knock on the window... And I saw him see me, and I'd go like this ... :o ...Then I ran deeper into my house.

Did you immediately recognize him? To apply some of what I've learned on this thread: You merely convinced yourself it happened. Does Your home have power windows? No? I figured. Your running deeper into your house reveals you're either a rabbit or a rodent that lives underground. That means you're cute until you eat the flowers.

Or he very slightly altered the dinner lodge scene in Beyond the Lighted Stage

I knew someone had to pick up on that.

• Like 3

So, Neil used to come over to my house and knock on the window... And I saw him see me, and I'd go like this ... :o ...Then I ran deeper into my house.

Did you immediately recognize him? To apply some of what I've learned on this thread: You merely convinced yourself it happened.

"It took decades to realize it was Neil."

So Neils very first motorcycle, a BMW1100RS was a present from his wife Jackie in December 1993, he didn't pass his test until the following year. He was still cycling around Africa in 1988! Hope this clears things up! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 2

So Neils very first motorcycle, a BMW1100RS was a present from his wife Jackie in December 1993, he didn't pass his test until the following year. He was still cycling around Africa in 1988! Hope this clears things up!

Those facts don't change the truth of my story.

Did you immediately recognize him? To apply some of what I've learned on this thread: You merely convinced yourself it happened.

Welcome back. I thought you concluded I was a liar or had delusion disorder. :drool: :cheers:

BTW, I don't drink, so that's sparking water in my mug.

Edited by Dear Sir

So Neils very first motorcycle, a BMW1100RS was a present from his wife Jackie in December 1993, he didn't pass his test until the following year. He was still cycling around Africa in 1988! Hope this clears things up!

This HAS to be Geminirising79

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Still feeding the troll?

Tony, he's no troll. I would probably be skeptical if someone told me the same story. Actually, if someone told me the same story, it would freak me out, because I would be in both stories.

Oh, wait . . . are you suggesting I'm a troll? I'm not.

This HAS to be Geminirising79

Assuming you are referring to another person on this forum, in all honesty, no. I joined this forum maybe a week ago and posted for the first time the same day I joined.

My original purpose was to find out if anyone had read the story somewhere, from Neil's perspective. Someone running a completely different site responded to me a few months ago and said it sounded vaguely familiar.

Welcome back. I thought you concluded I was a liar or had delusion disorder.

Why would you think that?

From your comments and questions. Plus, I know you've been colluding with my psychiatrist.

Just kidding about the pychiatrist.

From your comments and questions.

I don't think you're lying about your experience. I do have my doubts that the person you met is the person you think you met. I struggle with the notion of a guy who was very uncomfortable meeting fans would try so hard to out himself to a fan. I also struggle with the timeline with respect to him being on a motorcycle. Again, I'm not saying your account is impossible, but improbable. I get that you believe it as told, but me not believing it doesn't mean I think you're a liar. So yes, maybe deluded on your part, but maybe not. I can't say for sure since I don't (and can't) know the truth of your story.

• Like 4

But they do, can you just cofirm again what year this happened please?

I don't think you're lying about your experience. I do have my doubts that the person you met is the person you think you met. I struggle with the notion of a guy who was very uncomfortable meeting fans would try so hard to out himself to a fan. I also struggle with the timeline with respect to him being on a motorcycle. Again, I'm not saying your account is impossible, but improbable. I get that you believe it as told, but me not believing it doesn't mean I think you're a liar. So yes, maybe deluded on your part, but maybe not. I can't say for sure since I don't (and can't) know the truth of your story.

JARG, very well said. And thank you for saying you don't mean I'm a liar. Regarding the entire, "I thought you concluded..." post, the sarcasm failed to come across, which is a risk when posting online; I was hoping to make you laugh with it, but I now see it sounds defensive, and I hope you will forgive it. Anyway, back to the story.

I agree about Neil's preference for privacy and heard him discuss it several times in interviews. He felt awkwardly uncomfortable when people gushed over him. I have a couple details that resolve that to a point. In short, he asked how I would respond if I actually met him. I said I'd freak out, get my brother, call some friends, etc. He then said something like "Oh, he would hate that!" and added, if he could introduce me to Neil Peart and I promised to remain calm (or quiet, or something), what would I do. I answered, "Well, I'd want to shake his hand." At that instant, he extended his hand to me. I shook his hand but didn't catch what he was driving at.

The interaction probably took longer than it sounds, but I think, looking back, he set the tone before even attempting to reveal his identity. Also, this was in a small town, in a pretty slow gas station, so I imagine he saw little risk of a crowd showing up. While he clearly prefers his privacy, this was a pretty low risk for him.

JARG, very well said. And thank you for saying you don't mean I'm a liar. Regarding the entire, "I thought you concluded..." post, the sarcasm failed to come across, which is a risk when posting online; I was hoping to make you laugh with it, but I now see it sounds defensive, and I hope you will forgive it. Anyway, back to the story.

I agree about Neil's preference for privacy and heard him discuss it several times in interviews. He felt awkwardly uncomfortable when people gushed over him. I have a couple details that resolve that to a point. In short, he asked how I would respond if I actually met him. I said I'd freak out, get my brother, call some friends, etc. He then said something like "Oh, he would hate that!" and added, if he could introduce me to Neil Peart and I promised to remain calm (or quiet, or something), what would I do. I answered, "Well, I'd want to shake his hand." At that instant, he extended his hand to me. I shook his hand but didn't catch what he was driving at.

The interaction probably took longer than it sounds, but I think, looking back, he set the tone before even attempting to reveal his identity. Also, this was in a small town, in a pretty slow gas station, so I imagine he saw little risk of a crowd showing up. While he clearly prefers his privacy, this was a pretty low risk for him.

You ignore my question, what year was this, if it's before 1994 then i'm afraid you are mistaken that it was Neil? Edited by New Digital Man

I am aware of the apparent date discrepancy. He said he bought his first bike in 1996. I saw him in March 1986. No chance it was another decade because I moved from the area the same year. He was driving a BMW motorcycle. Maybe he rented it or was borrowing one for the trip. It was during a short break on the Power Windows tour. I think it was the first tour they ever intentionally incorporated short breaks. I think Lifeson said it was the first tour that was fun.

You need to quit while you're ahead. Everything you typed there seems to be tailor-made to address my observations about Neil's fan phobia. Suspiciously so.

• Like 1

I am aware of the apparent date discrepancy. He said he bought his first bike in 1996. I saw him in March 1986. No chance it was another decade because I moved from the area the same year. He was driving a BMW motorcycle. Maybe he rented it or was borrowing one for the trip. It was during a short break on the Power Windows tour. I think it was the first tour they ever intentionally incorporated short breaks. I think Lifeson said it was the first tour that was fun.

So you obviously didn't read my earlier post, or ignored it, Neil got his very first motorcycle in December 1993, a present from his wife, he didn't have a motorcycle licence at that time and took a riding course and passed his test in 1994! So you are very mistaken, it wasn't Neil, sorry!

Edited by New Digital Man

So you obviously didn't read my earlier post, or ignored it, Neil got his very first motorcycle in December 1993, a present from his wife, he didn't have a motorcycle licence at that time and took a riding course and passed his test in 1994! So you are very mistaken, it wasn't Neil, sorry!

Your conclusion rests on several assumptions. And I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

Edit: I did read your earlier post. It's from an article I read a couple months ago, possibly from the Cygnus site.

Edited by Dear Sir

Your conclusion rests on several assumptions. And I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

Edit: I did read your earlier post. It's from an article I read a couple months ago, possibly from the Cygnus site.

I don't understand how you can still believe you actually met Neil on a motorcycle 12 years before he was riding one, maybe he stole it, yeah right!

You need to quit while you're ahead. Everything you typed there seems to be tailor-made to address my observations about Neil's fan phobia. Suspiciously so.

How am I ahead? In all respect, I don't care who believes me. My goal is to find the documentation from Neil's perspective. It might take a while, but I know it exists.

I don't understand how you can still believe you actually met Neil on a motorcycle 12 years before he was riding one, maybe he stole it, yeah right!

Either I'm lying, deluded, or telling the truth. Whatever you decide makes no difference to me.

Please let me know if this story sounds familiar. Neil wrote about it somewhere, or it was in an article about him, decades ago. I'm mostly over the embarrassment of it now.

It was during Power Windows tour, 1986. About 2-3 days after my first Rush concert, I unknowingly met Neil Peart. Though the most die-hard fan I knew at the time, I did not recognize him! He mentioned he was with Rush, and I concluded he meant with their road crew. We spoke about 20 minutes, and he dropped about 10 hints, all of which I missed.

To be continued after charging my phone...

Very cool. Did you get a cell phone picture together or an autograph?