Met Neil...sound familiar?

Dear Sir

One thing about him: He was polite (not surprisingly) and quite upbeat. He had a positive presence and was pretty quick to laugh. When I told him I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, he said they make some of the best in the world. He also taught me the origin of the BMW symbol representing a propeller, because BMW apparently made plane engines early on. I've never verified that but will do so right now. :)

Why not let the guy tell his story, the post has been taken over with the inane babble of one or two people who should know better, that or lock it!

The original poster seems like a good dude who’s played right along with all the jokes and pokes. I’m sure he knows he can tell the full story anytime he likes. I haven’t seen any posts that have told him to shut up or anything like that. The only thing stopping him is a constantly weak phone battery! :P

Doubt he can get a word in! Some people do like the sound of their own voice a bit too much!

It came up when he was trying to bring me to the realization he was Neil.

This is what strikes me as very odd. Neil was notorious for shunning the trappings of fame. Hell, he even wrote a song about it, and yet here he is trying so very hard to be recognized. That just doesn't pass the sniff test with me. Any chance the dude wasn't Neil but was trying to fool you into thinking he was? You yourself said you didn't recognize him.

The attention to detail yet not being able to recognize the drummer in your favorite band seems off...”off” in the sense that yeah, it wasn’t Neil in exactly the way that you’re talking about.

I hear you. I wish we could speak in person, because you would believe me after a couple minutes. But the more I try to convince you, the more suspicious I sound.

Don’t think too deeply. If you read my post again, I’m saying it could be an honest mistake and not a matter of you being dishonest. That’s a big difference.

In any case, you don’t need to convince anyone of whether it happened or not. There’s no way you can prove it, and there’s no way we can disprove it. So all there’s left is conversation...which is what we’ve been doing the whole time :cheers:

True! And those are great insights. I really can't prove it. Funny, my then-girlfriend said a few days later, "That guy you met probably did work for Rush, because (some guy in town) got Neil Peart's autograph." And still I didn't catch it! I said. "Bullshi*! I met that guy. It was not Neil Peart."

• Like 1

Why not let the guy tell his story, the post has been taken over with the inane babble of one or two people who should know better, that or lock it!

The original poster seems like a good dude who’s played right along with all the jokes and pokes. I’m sure he knows he can tell the full story anytime he likes. I haven’t seen any posts that have told him to shut up or anything like that. The only thing stopping him is a constantly weak phone battery! :P

Doubt he can get a word in! Some people do like the sound of their own voice a bit too much!

This is what strikes me as very odd. Neil was notorious for shunning the trappings of fame. Hell, he even wrote a song about it, and yet here he is trying so very hard to be recognized. That just doesn't pass the sniff test with me. Any chance the dude wasn't Neil but was trying to fool you into thinking he was? You yourself said you didn't recognize him.

You raise interesting points. Yes, he clearly avoided attention from fans. I can say confidently, he wasn't eager for me to recognize him. I think he found it entertaining. You're right, I did not recognize him until many years later when I saw an old interview from around Permanent Waves. The way he looked in that interview is close to his appearance when I saw him. I honestly do not believe it was someone else.

But is there a chance it wasn't actually Neil (regardless of what you believe)?

Where did you see the show?

Edited by JARG

The attention to detail yet not being able to recognize the drummer in your favorite band seems off...”off” in the sense that yeah, it wasn’t Neil in exactly the way that you’re talking about.

I hear you. I wish we could speak in person, because you would believe me after a couple minutes. But the more I try to convince you, the more suspicious I sound.

Don’t think too deeply. If you read my post again, I’m saying it could be an honest mistake and not a matter of you being dishonest. That’s a big difference.

In any case, you don’t need to convince anyone of whether it happened or not. There’s no way you can prove it, and there’s no way we can disprove it. So all there’s left is conversation...which is what we’ve been doing the whole time :cheers:

True! And those are great insights. I really can't prove it. Funny, my then-girlfriend said a few days later, "That guy you met probably did work for Rush, because (some guy in town) got Neil Peart's autograph." And still I didn't catch it! I said. "Bullshi*! I met that guy. It was not Neil Peart."

I think your initial instincts were right.

You raise interesting points. Yes, he clearly avoided attention from fans. I can say confidently, he wasn't eager for me to recognize him. I think he found it entertaining. You're right, I did not recognize him until many years later when I saw an old interview from around Permanent Waves. The way he looked in that interview is close to his appearance when I saw him. I honestly do not believe it was someone else.

Yes, there's a chance, despite my certainty. The show was in St. Paul, MN. It was my first Rush concert.

This is what strikes me as very odd. Neil was notorious for shunning the trappings of fame. Hell, he even wrote a song about it, and yet here he is trying so very hard to be recognized. That just doesn't pass the sniff test with me. Any chance the dude wasn't Neil but was trying to fool you into thinking he was? You yourself said you didn't recognize him

Someone pretending to be Neil Peart?????????

Who would ever do that?????????????

:o

209033_preview.png

I think your initial instincts were right.

If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong. :) Just kidding. But to an objective reader, your opinion probably sounds more plausible than my story.

Edited by Dear Sir

Yes, there's a chance, despite my certainty. The show was in St. Paul, MN. It was my first Rush concert.

And where did the encounter take place? St. Paul?

The motorcycle riding aspect of the story remains an issue. By all accounts, Neil wasn't doing that until T4E, circa 1996-97. Any chance you have the wrong decade?
  • Like 3

A small town in Wisconsin. I hesitate to say the exact location because I prefer not to give details that could identify me. The town is a fairly short drive to I-94. Rush had a few days off between shows, and Neil had been riding on backroads to get to MIchigan. I clearly remember wearing my Rush t-shirt without a jacket to walk to the gas station that day.

According to their tour history that i found online, they played St. Paul in late March 1986, and then Michigan a few days later. IIRC, it was the first tour that included some rest breaks, and the first tour they "enjoyed" according to (I think) Alex.

The typical route to Michigan would take him through Wisconsin.

The motorcycle riding aspect of the story remains an issue. By all accounts, Neil wasn't doing that until T4E, circa 1996-97. Any chance you have the wrong decade?

I understand what you're saying about the motorcycle. I recall thinking Rush flew to their concerts and did not know they, like pretty much all bands on tour, drove long distances sometimes. To your question, I am certain of the year, 1986. It was my first Rush concert.

What I can tell you for sure: It was a BMW motorcycle. He had compartments on it to hold stuff. For example, he stuffed several packs of cigarettes into some small compartments as he spoke with me. He must have had larger compartments toward the back, because he took out rain gear to wear. I think it was pretty thick gear, maybe blue (?), at least on his legs, possibly like chaps. He walked sort of funny after putting it on.

Good point. I’ve read that more than a few times too.

TBH, I think I have read the same thing. But if my experience is real and not a delusion, he must have, at least occassionally, driven a BMW motorcycle between shows in 1986; well, at least between St. Paul and Michigan that day.

Good point. I’ve read that more than a few times too.

TBH, I think I have read the same thing. But if my experience is real and not a delusion, he must have, at least occassionally, driven a BMW motorcycle between shows in 1986; well, at least between St. Paul and Michigan that day.

In this article, Neil is quoted as saying “When I started touring by motorcycle in 1996...”

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/rock-roller-rush-drummer-neil-peart-lives-for-motorcycles-hes-also-one-incredibly-thoughtful-guy/

It’s in the first paragraph under “On the importance of punctuality”

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 4

A small town in Wisconsin. I hesitate to say the exact location because I prefer not to give details that could identify me. The town is a fairly short drive to I-94. Rush had a few days off between shows, and Neil had been riding on backroads to get to MIchigan. I clearly remember wearing my Rush t-shirt without a jacket to walk to the gas station that day.

According to their tour history that i found online, they played St. Paul in late March 1986, and then Michigan a few days later. IIRC, it was the first tour that included some rest breaks, and the first tour they "enjoyed" according to (I think) Alex.

You may be a bit nonplussed by this quote from Peart.

I always looked at BMWs, the old black-with-the-white-pinstripe kind, the old airheads. To me, that was what a motorcycle should look like. I always knew I would have a BMW when I rode. The BMW GS model was the first bike I bought myself—the 1100 GS, around 1995 [the “Ghost Rider” bike, which covered over 100,000 miles and is currently displayed in the AMA Museum, along with Neil’s custom drumset from Rush’s 30th Anniversary Tour].

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/rock-roller-rush-drummer-neil-peart-lives-for-motorcycles-hes-also-one-incredibly-thoughtful-guy/

• Like 4

This is what strikes me as very odd. Neil was notorious for shunning the trappings of fame. Hell, he even wrote a song about it, and yet here he is trying so very hard to be recognized. That just doesn't pass the sniff test with me. Any chance the dude wasn't Neil but was trying to fool you into thinking he was? You yourself said you didn't recognize him

Someone pretending to be Neil Peart?????????

Who would ever do that?????????????

:o

Not sure. Has that happened? I cannot see the picture.

I always looked at BMWs, the old black-with-the-white-pinstripe kind, the old airheads. To me, that was what a motorcycle should look like. I always knew I would have a BMW when I rode. The BMW GS model was the first bike I bought myself—the 1100 GS, around 1995 [the “Ghost Rider” bike, which covered over 100,000 miles and is currently displayed in the AMA Museum, along with Neil’s custom drumset from Rush’s 30th Anniversary Tour].

https://americanmoto...thoughtful-guy/

Yes, I will dig into this because i am 100% certain it was a BMW he was driving. And it had a stereo.

Edit: Also, he was alone. That contradicts what he says in the article. He says it was usually 2, sometimes up to 4 riding partners.

Also, my work server now blocked me from the forum, so it's back to my old phone.

Edited by Dear Sir

Yes, I will dig into this because i am 100% certain it was a BMW he was driving. And it had a stereo.

I believe you when you say you were certain about the BMW. I also believe you when you say you initially didn't think the guy you met was Peart. I suppose I also believe that you've convinced yourself (apparently years after the fact, if I have the timeline correct) that it was Peart. I don't think you actually met Peart, though. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems very improbable.

• Like 1

I realize it seems improbable. We're strangers, so you have no basis to trust me. Even if I had a picture of Neil hugging me, it could be fake. Actually, it would be fake, because he didn't hug me. But he probably wanted to hug me because I'm that hot.
  • Like 1

Thanks to Google, I now know what nonplussed means. Yes, I am nonplussed by that article, but it doesn't discourage me. I know the meeting happened and I know he was driving a BMW motorcycle and listening to Deep Purple. I will check online to see if it's possible to rent motorcycles. I've never heard of it, though.

Edited by Dear Sir

So, Neil used to come over to my house and knock on the window... And I saw him see me, and I'd go like this ... :o ...Then I ran deeper into my house.

Did you immediately recognize him? To apply some of what I've learned on this thread: You merely convinced yourself it happened. Does Your home have power windows? No? I figured. Your running deeper into your house reveals you're either a rabbit or a rodent that lives underground. That means you're cute until you eat the flowers.

So, Neil used to come over to my house and knock on the window... And I saw him see me, and I'd go like this ... :o ...Then I ran deeper into my house.

Did you immediately recognize him? To apply some of what I've learned on this thread: You merely convinced yourself it happened. Does Your home have power windows? No? I figured. Your running deeper into your house reveals you're either a rabbit or a rodent that lives underground. That means you're cute until you eat the flowers.

Or he very slightly altered the dinner lodge scene in Beyond the Lighted Stage

• Like 3