Neil's Motorcycle Travels

bjohio

Since Neil's passing, I have taken an interest in his "shunpiking" travels by motorcycle as outlined in several of his books. He loved taking the road less traveled, and I would love to experience these routes myself. That being said, does anyone know where I could find the specific routes/roads taken during some of this travels? The only thing I have found so far is a destination map someone put together from his book, "Ghost Rider" (Neil's Peart's Healing Road) and a travel diary from another forum. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

THANKS!

I travel a LOT on mine, but based on some of his writings on his website while traveling on tours, I felt like about 1/3 of his roads ridden were a bit too remote for my taste. I prefer roads of at least decent pavement quality and as you obviously know, some of the ones he rode were so off the beaten path, they were just that, a beaten path! I sincerely wish you safe and enjoyable travels on the road so very less traveled.

All that said, unfortunately those posts no longer exist on his personal site. Nothing but a picture of him does anymore.

I know you posted this some six or so weeks ago, bjohio, it is your first and only post. But I keep seeing it!!

Have you found your answer?

Yes, there are third parties that will "link" to the roads and journeys. But,

You have to read his books, keep a note pad handy, note the roads and the back-track mistakes. The GPS errors.

Or, do as he often did and keep a voice recorder nearby. As you read, speak the routes into your iPhone, or whatever device.

Take time to then write them down and look at maps. Draw the "colored lines", note the seasonal changes for any closures or poor conditions. What are you packing for your trip?

I have read quite a few motorbike travel books, and Neil was certainly exceptional at detail about particular places and road conditions.

Wish you luck!

So...where are you at?

• Like 2

Well, looks like bjohio only joined to ask about Neil's road trips?

I looked for this post to say that on Cygnus-X1.net (the excellent Rush support site) Sunlight On Chrome posted GPS routes for Ghost Rider on a Jan. 26 Twitter post.

If you are still watching the forums, it might help?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:43 PM, ledzepfan63 said:

i have tried to read and collect all of neil,s book on his motor and bicycle journeys.i ned two more and i.ll have them all

Check Ebay. A lot of older Rush fans who are downsizing are putting the books on there, or selling to bookstores.

• Like 1