Chicago?

Chicago started and ended with Kath. After he died, Cetera turned a once great band into a wussy slow dance prom band.

AND he stopped playing kick ass Bass. in the prime years. he SLAYED on that thing. not so much in the 80's, lol

Mick

This is the truth right here. Cetera is an excellent bassist, but his songs are terrible.

• Like 3

Chicago started and ended with Kath. After he died, Cetera turned a once great band into a wussy slow dance prom band.

AND he stopped playing kick ass Bass. in the prime years. he SLAYED on that thing. not so much in the 80's, lol

Mick

This is the truth right here. Cetera is an excellent bassist, but his songs are terrible.

They were pretty great for making him lots of money, but for music lovers to listen to, not so much.

• Like 1

I remember well when their debut debuted. They were Chicago Transit Authority. Then the real Chicago Transit Authority got in a snit about them using their name, so they then became Chicago.

They got kind of poppy after their debut, but still had many good songs.

Perhaps they thought trying to get more experimental than Free Form Guitar was a waste of time, lol.

I had a cat that absolutely hated that song. He would stand in front of the speakers, arch his back and completely fuzz out.

• Like 2

Chicago’s Greatest Hits is one of the best greatest hits albums ever released.

I’m in agreement with those preferring the pre-1980s output.

I also think I need to take a deep dive into their music.

So much music, so little time!

• Like 3

Great band of great musicians. If you haven't seen the documentary on Netflix it is well worth the watch.

I would also recommend Danny Seraphine`s autobiography. It runs as something of a counter balance to that movie.

1969-1977 :ebert:

Yeah this for me pretty much. Besides the songs listed by the OP I really dig Saturday In The Park, Beginnings, Just You N' Me, I've Been Searchin' So Long

• Like 3

If anyone has time to kill, I've really enjoyed watching Leonid and Friends cover Chicago on YouTube. They are pretty much an all star Russian band and they have the music down perfectly.

There aren't a lot of great Chicago videos out there, so these have been really fun to watch.