Chicago?

I don't post much, but I thought I'd reach out to my rush compadres to see if anyone else likes Chicago? I've had been trying to get into some other music now that there is no Rush to look forward to.

I just recently got into them and really enjoy their early stuff - pretty much through when Terry Kath passed. (I will hum along to some of their 80's pop stuff).

I think they were incredibly talented musicians and they wrote really good music. It is catchy for sure, but just some amazing playing in there.

Interestingly, I got into them more after seeing Leonid and Friends cover a lot of their tunes and realizing how amazing they were. They popped up on YouTube as I was exploring Rush covers.

Just curious if there are others out there.

Some of my favorites:

Old Days

Feeling Stronger Every Day

What's this World Coming To

Hanky Panky/Lifesaver

You Are on my Mind

Make Me Smile

25 or 6 to 4 (obviously - unreal guitar in there)

• Like 1

Chicago rocks! I got to see them with my dad a couple of summers ago and they played practically all of Chicago II, one of the best sounding concerts I’ve ever been to as well.

I've liked Chicago. I don't listen to them on a regular, and daily basis, but I do, though. When Peter Cetera was the lead singer, they had a distinctive, and recognizable sound. With them, I haven't had any problems, and issues.

I like all the Terry Kath years. they were monsters than. not a fan of the 80's pop years.

but At LEAST Transit Authority-VII are prime Chicago for me.

Mick

Never play with guns.

Sad shit man....sad.

Mick

• Like 5

I like all the Terry Kath years. they were monsters than. not a fan of the 80's pop years.

Mick

Never play with guns.

Sad shit man....sad.

Mick

One of the most senseless deaths of a rock star. Terry should’ve lived man. Even if he’d left Chicago, imagine what he would’ve done in the 80s.

• Like 3

Mick

Never play with guns.

Sad shit man....sad.

Mick

One of the most senseless deaths of a rock star. Terry should’ve lived man. Even if he’d left Chicago, imagine what he would’ve done in the 80s.

i think he for sure would have left. his pressence was being shoved back on theose last records anyway. i could see him going solo or forming his own band/project.

Mick

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread...i think I'm gonna use the long weekend to reacquaint myself with their early output.
  • Like 2

Chicago started and ended with Kath. After he died, Cetera turned a once great band into a wussy slow dance prom band.

AND he stopped playing kick ass Bass. in the prime years. he SLAYED on that thing. not so much in the 80's, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

i was never a huge fan but i like a bunch of their early songs. terry kath did indeed kick much ass as did the whole band. super tight. after tk died. no thanks, not my cup of tea

theres a bunch of docs about them and the old footage of the playing is really pretty great.

Chicago started and ended with Kath. After he died, Cetera turned a once great band into a wussy slow dance prom band.

AND he stopped playing kick ass Bass. in the prime years. he SLAYED on that thing. not so much in the 80's, lol

Mick

Yeah, what the hell, right? These guys had chops. They devolved into soft, bloated, ploppy soft rock. Love the drums on Make Me Smile. `70's Chicago reminds me of fun days living in the projects in Anchorage, Alaska.

• Like 2

I remember well when their debut debuted. They were Chicago Transit Authority. Then the real Chicago Transit Authority got in a snit about them using their name, so they then became Chicago.

They got kind of poppy after their debut, but still had many good songs.

• Like 2

I remember well when their debut debuted. They were Chicago Transit Authority. Then the real Chicago Transit Authority got in a snit about them using their name, so they then became Chicago.

They got kind of poppy after their debut, but still had many good songs.

Perhaps they thought trying to get more experimental than Free Form Guitar was a waste of time, lol.

• Like 1

Also can we just acknowledge how delightfully strange Free Form Guitar is in their discography?
  • Like 1

Also can we just acknowledge how delightfully strange Free Form Guitar is in their discography?

and how on any other album i'd skip such a track. but It's Chicago so it works somehow?

Mick

• Like 1

and how on any other album i'd skip such a track. but It's Chicago so it works somehow?

Mick

That’s the genius of Terry Kath. I wonder how Hendrix never thought of that first, lol.

• Like 1

Mick

Pretty much this. Kath was a monster, even Jimi dug him. Anyone deranged enough to preamp a Fender Showman with a 75 watt Bogen PA amplifier (Free Form Guitar from CTA), you be wary of. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Mick

Pretty much this. Kath was a monster, even Jimi dug him. Anyone deranged enough to preamp a Fender Showman with a 75 watt Bogen PA amplifier (Free Form Guitar from CTA), you be wary of.

and even among music fans Kath's name hardly ever get's dropped when discussing guitar greats.

he's up there for me.

• Like 1