Your Rush Album Firsts...

The Cat 3

1st bought- ATWAS circa 11 years of age

I guess i was hooked by radio? by default ATWAS

first studio was fly by night on 8 track

ATWAS

First compilation is the mighty Archives!

i have no idea which was the first i bought on release day? It may have been as late as power windows.

gonna go with St Louis 80 with first bootleg

• Like 2

7: First Rush Bootleg That Blew You Away?

St. Louis '80 (11-13? Feb 1980 FM Broadcast) First Rush boot i owned and still up there with the best.

someone like yourself who has been a fan from way early on - was that the first Rush boot you saw too? I think the first Rush boot ever pressed was the Montreal 1978 record with the bad fan art, but am curious as to which other ones came after that. Back in the early 80's when I first started looking to collect boots - rush ones were rare

Back in the late '70s / early '80s Rush bootlegs were not readily available here. I got the St. Louis show in the late '80s ..... It was a double vinyl and I think it was just called Xanadu (I no longer have any of my old vinyl stuff).

I have only really been gathering Rush shows in earnest in more recent years (last 20 odd years) pretty much because of a) the advent of CD, b) more availability via the internet and c) logistically being unable to get to a lot of concerts in person in the 80s/90s.

Looking back now, it's easy to see why many people were turned off by bootlegs - generally crappy vinyl pressings, a plain white sleeve or poor quality printed image, and more crucially awful sound quality.

Nowadays the quality is light-years better (although there are still awful sounding ones about). I tend now only to look for soundboards. Some of these IMO sound better than the official live releases.

Also what i like nowadays is the emphasis on free trading .... made by the fans, for the fans .... I remember way back shelling out maybe 4 times as much money for a bootleg compared to the going rate

for official albums .... only to find it was totally crap!! ... I seem to recall having a couple of Deep Purple and Zeppelin boots which were particularly bad!!

• Like 2

1: First Rush Album You Bought?

Caress of Steel 1975

2: The Rush Album That Got You Hooked?

Caress of Steel 1975

3: First Rush Studio Album You Bought?

Caress of Steel 1975

4: First Rush Live Album You Bought?

ATWAS 1976

5: First Rush Compilation You Bought?

Archives 1978 .... By then I already had Fly By Night & Caress of Steel so I sold them to friends and kept the box set.

6: First Rush Studio Album You Bought On Release Day?

2112 1976

St. Louis '80 (11-13? Feb 1980 FM Broadcast) First Rush boot i owned and still up there with the best.

me too. i believe it was the first time i heard the reggae version of working man?

anyways, got blazed one day and drove off with the cassette on the roof................ d'oh!

:facepalm:
  • Like 2

The old 'Archives' double cassette. 1983?

Not really a compilation. But rather a re-packaging of the first three albums.

First RUSH You Ripped?: Back in the day, my buddy had Archives on vinyl and I transferred it over to reel to reel.

Besides Archives - Ive never bought a Rush compilation. Even Chronicles. Never saw the point - having bought every studio and live package.

Edited by grep

someone like yourself who has been a fan from way early on - was that the first Rush boot you saw too? I think the first Rush boot ever pressed was the Montreal 1978 record with the bad fan art, but am curious as to which other ones came after that. Back in the early 80's when I first started looking to collect boots - rush ones were rare

Back in the late '70s / early '80s Rush bootlegs were not readily available here. I got the St. Louis show in the late '80s ..... It was a double vinyl and I think it was just called Xanadu (I no longer have any of my old vinyl stuff).

I have only really been gathering Rush shows in earnest in more recent years (last 20 odd years) pretty much because of a) the advent of CD, b) more availability via the internet and c) logistically being unable to get to a lot of concerts in person in the 80s/90s.

Looking back now, it's easy to see why many people were turned off by bootlegs - generally crappy vinyl pressings, a plain white sleeve or poor quality printed image, and more crucially awful sound quality.

Nowadays the quality is light-years better (although there are still awful sounding ones about). I tend now only to look for soundboards. Some of these IMO sound better than the official live releases.

Also what i like nowadays is the emphasis on free trading .... made by the fans, for the fans .... I remember way back shelling out maybe 4 times as much money for a bootleg compared to the going rate

for official albums .... only to find it was totally crap!! ... I seem to recall having a couple of Deep Purple and Zeppelin boots which were particularly bad!!

No, not really... The first bootlegs I ever had were Led Zeppelin, that I got when a friend found someones cassette box in a parking lot...it had a 1969 show, some odds and ends from other tours, and an out takes compilation. My first Rush Bootleg was a cassette of a Permanent Waves show (from LP) that was pretty much incomplete, but it was cool to hear.

Once I found ways other than the odd show in music stores that sold them, it was out of hand!

• Like 1

I have a question to y'all: you buy cds, vinyl or both? I like cds the most cuz there's more of a clear sound and you can play it in your car :haz: oh and they are cheaper... I am poor... never could attend a concert :( Edited by _hi_water._

First RUSH You Ripped?: Back in the day, my buddy had Archives on vinyl and I transferred it over to reel to reel.

Besides Archives - Ive never bought a Rush compilation. Even Chronicles. Never saw the point - having bought every studio and live package.

i could be wrong but iirc buying chronicles was the only way to get a pasage to bangkok on cd. this is because it was removed when ESL came out on cd.

yeah its redundant but i like chronicles.

I have a question to y'all: you buy cds, vinyl or both? I like cds the most cuz there's more of a clear sound and you can play it in your car :haz: oh and they are cheaper... I am poor... never could attend a concert :(

At first it was just vinyl. I think the first CD I got was Hold your Fire.

For the most part I would buy the LP and usually ran a cassette on the first pass so I had something to hear in my car. Late in 1988 I bought a car that had a CD player in it, and didn't need to make tapes anymore!! it was great going to the record store, buying a CD, then just popping it in the deck!!

All I buy is CD's anymore....

Same here.

I have a question to y'all: you buy cds, vinyl or both? I like cds the most cuz there's more of a clear sound and you can play it in your car :haz: oh and they are cheaper... I am poor... never could attend a concert :(

When I first started buying music, it was on records, vinyls, and cassettes, and tapes. Right now, they've been c.ds. I've listened to them on my home stereo system, in my car, and on my two computers.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

When I first started buying music, it was on records, vinyl, and cassettes, and tapes. Right now, they've been c.ds. I've listened to them on my home stereo system, in my car, and on my computers.

yeah I think CDs are becoming antiquated now... you don't see too many at every grocery store

First, I want to thank The Cat 3 for posting this. This sort of thing helps a little bit in taking my mind off other things. Those things matter, certainly. But lately? Geesh, it all just keeps piling on.

"All The World's A Stage"> This was actually the very first album of any musical group/artist that I ever bought. (Steve Martin came first.) My friend had played Rush albums for me at his house and that included "2112". I wanted to buy "2112" but the store I was at (Zayre) didn't have it. Then I saw that the album "All The World's A Stage" did have 2112 on it. My naive self didn't realize that an album titled "All The World's A Stage" would be a LIVE album. So I was surprised when I played it. I remember thinking how cool all those photos of Rush on the three-fold were.

"Hemispheres" as that had "The Trees" on it. I'd heard "Spirit of Radio" on the radio but it was when my friend played "Hemispheres" (he went straight to "The Trees" first) that I really took notice. I'd wanted to be a writer and reading the lyrics to "Trees" made me realize that Rush wasn't just another "boy meets girl song" band.

I'm pretty certain it was "2112" once I found it. The other possibility is "Fly By Night". The original, "Rush" was given to me by a kid at school. "Caress" I bought much later at Montgomery Ward. "A Farewell To Kings" came later too. I remember being worried about buying "Hemispheres" because of Mr. Naked Guy on the cover and I wasn't sure what my parents would do if they saw that. So I can't remember when I ended up buying "Hemis". I asked my Mom to get "Permanent Waves" for me when she was going to KMart. I was kidding around with her because I didn't think she would even know where in the store to look for albums. She surprised me when she actually did buy it for me and came home with it! Incidentally, I actually got "2112" on 8-Track tape from Venture.

"All The World's A Stage"

"Rush Through The Years"

"Moving Pictures", followed by every next Rush album on it's Release Day.

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette". This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour. They played 4 nights. The recording is from the night after I was there. I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

• Like 1

I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

What song was it?

I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

What song was it?

Oh, sorry. It's a really good acoustic that's about 90 seconds or so long. No title. I actually haven't listened to this for a couple decades because I haven't had a turn-table. Even still, the song remains in my head!

Rush

Fly By Night

Rush

All the World's a Stage

Archives I think

Caress of Steel

I can't remember!

What were some of your Rush album purchasing firsts from the questions below?

Exit...Stage Left

Exit...Stage Left

Chronicles and every one after except of the Euro Time Stand Still compilation

Power Windows

The first album I bought -- 3/1/81 Chicago

• Like 1

The first ones I saw on vinyl(very few compared with other bands) pre mid-1986 were the 3/1/81 Chicago show, the Cleveland 1974 and '75 shows (Stellar Dynamics with the black starfish), Pinkpop 6/4/79, St. Louis 1980. About six months later there was the Grace Under Pressure broadcast and Power Windows shows from Minnesota and Quebec and a Signals show from Rotterdam.

Those were the early ones I remember. First Rush video bootleg I was was the Nassau Coliseum 1986 show which I previewed a bit of but never bought until MUCH later because I wasn't paying $35 for it at that time.

• Like 1

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette". This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour. They played 4 nights. The recording is from the night after I was there. I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.

Doesn't even sound like Alex (though I did not really know that at that time.)

• Like 1

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.

Thanks for clearing that up, a friend stuck a tape of that in my car once then realised it wasn't actually Rush and switched it off never to be replayed. I never found out who it was.

Is it on YouTube now?

Edited by Lurkst

Not sure what you're talking about. Tommy Shaw wasn't there. Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

At that time, Tommy Shaw would have still been with Styx.

Where does your info come from?

Edited by Geddyleegenes

Not sure what you're talking about. Tommy Shaw wasn't there. Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

Yeah the only times Rush and Styx played together was in 75-77. I doubt Tommy would be there just by himself

• Like 1

Yeah the only times Rush and Styx played together was in 75-77. I doubt Tommy would be there just by himself

yeahhhh Tommy wouldn't stand being there just by himself :hail:

IIRC (and I haven't heard it since the 80s so forgive my ailing memory) the Tommy Shaw clip was the result of two different concerts being pressed on the bootleg. Either to fill some unused time on the tape/disc, or as a genuine error.

• Like 1