Your favorite guitar TONE by Lifeson?

Texas King

the first 3 songs off p/g

:yes:

For his best "effectsy" tone -- chorus and delay -- I'd go with this as well. "Afterimage" especially. "Between the Wheels" is great also.

http://youtu.be/C2sq4duvQpA

http://youtu.be/cj1eUnNOvpY

As for my favorite raw tone, my first thought was "Working Man" from the debut, but decided on this one instead:

http://youtu.be/R_MrtGW5svo

Of course. "GUP" "Afterimage" and "Between The Wheels." Two of my favorites on that record to play drums too. Alex's solo on "Between The Wheels" brings me enlightenment.

I thought his echo-ey heavily processed tone on the ASOH video worked great for La Villa. Its still my favorite version of the song out of all of them including the original studio cut

Ohmygod I haven't heard that version in decades. It sounds SO GOOD. That guitar tone was so processed but you're right it fits the song better than the original sound did. And that note at 7:55 -- damn. Thanks!

• Like 1

My vote goes to Limelight. The tone on the opening riff just pulls you in and never lets go. Not to mention the bridge and the solo. Just quintessential Alex.

Some great suggestions in this thread, but Limelight wins it for me.

• Like 2

My vote goes to Limelight. The tone on the opening riff just pulls you in and never lets go. Not to mention the bridge and the solo. Just quintessential Alex.

No doubt it's brilliant, but I don't think there's a single "quintessential" Lifeson sound. He had too many different ones.

Limelight itself features I think three different tones.

• Like 1

No doubt it's brilliant, but I don't think there's a single "quintessential" Lifeson sound. He had too many different ones.

You make an excellent point. Perhaps what I was getting at with "quintessential" is that Limelight really highlights his ability to vary tones and textures within a particular song. Clearly there's no single tone that we all could agree on as our favorite. Purely subjective.

Perhaps a better question is what song best showcases his ability to vary tones within a single composition. So far we have Limelight with three different tones. Are there songs where he has 4+ clearly identifiable tones?

You make an excellent point. Perhaps what I was getting at with "quintessential" is that Limelight really highlights his ability to vary tones and textures within a particular song. Clearly there's no single tone that we all could agree on as our favorite. Purely subjective.

Perhaps a better question is what song best showcases his ability to vary tones within a single composition. So far we have Limelight with three different tones. Are there songs where he has 4+ clearly identifiable tones?

This is a great showcase of Alex's mastery of tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajfuf9W6B0

• Like 2

Are we considering the effect of effects as tone? In other words, Alex is chugging along and then kicks in a little flange for effect...would those be considered two different tones, or just one tone with and without effect?

I think the general tone he had on Permanent Waves is hard to beat...I like the almost Schenker-like cocked wah sound he uses for some of the lead work, but that beautifully expansive rhythm sound is gorgeous.

ATWAS is a close second.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

One song? Tone on one song?

Jacobs Ladder

Perfecton.

• Like 4

Off the top of my head, maybe Xanadu. And 2112 if you count the entire thing as one song...

I'm a drummer, so most of this is outside my field of knowledge.

And I can't really tell you what my FAVORITE tone is... because a lot of it is used to such great effect that it just naturally fits perfectly with every other working piece in the song. The tone in Limelight sounds great, but I don't notice it because its perfect, you know? It is neither too thin, nor too heavy.

One tone that I will say is really quite strange, but in a great way, is in 2112. There's a really... bright, almost harshly so... tone that he'll use in his soloing in places in the song. And it's so... I mean, I don't know the word. But it's incredibly unique to Alex and to that song in my music listening.

Which song would you nominate? It doesn't have to be a studio version.

I'd pick this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTEfSxwZebQ&feature=emb_title

Wow I was going to mention how much I love his tone on this live cut of Xanadu when I saw the topic title and here it is in the first post! Generally I think my favorite of Alex's many wonderful guitar tones is found on Permanent Waves. Right from the start of TSOR is just sounds light lightning in a bottle.

I love his sound on counterparts but wouldnt single out they all too good, permanent waves moving pictures even vaportrails power windows all got look in

Thinking about it again though, counterparts made me so happy for such a long time i might lean toward, such a good-feeling album

There are so many different tones/sounds, to my ear, with Alex's playing over the years.

But if I was to say what comes immediately to mind when thinking of his playing a guitar, it would be the 2112 "Discovery" of the instrument.

The tuning, the twangs, the sharpness at times, the blending with the atmospheric water sounds. Purely brilliant.

Edit: I love the different sounds in different albums for different reasons - really, really love the tones and how he can bring things together or just jump in and jam.

His fingers and brain are like a catalogue of chords and sounds created with the strings. But the 2112 bit, goose bumpy :)

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 1

There are so many different tones/sounds, to my ear, with Alex's playing over the years.

But if I was to say what comes immediately to mind when thinking of his playing a guitar, it would be the 2112 "Discovery" of the instrument.

The tuning, the twangs, the sharpness at times, the blending with the atmospheric water sounds. Purely brilliant.

Edit: I love the different sounds in different albums for different reasons - really, really love the tones and how he can bring things together or just jump in and jam.

His fingers and brain are like a catalogue of chords and sounds created with the strings. But the 2112 bit, goose bumpy :)

I've been playing Discovery for like twenty years. It's really, really fun to play on nylon string guitar, and pretty too.

People sometimes ask me "What IS that?" when they hear it and sometimes I lie and make up a classical composer, like "ohh that's Baron von Gleikenhosen from 19th-century Austria, nobody really knows him"

lol

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 1