What's your favorite Van Halen cover?

Choose one  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite cover by Van Halen?

• You Really Got Me (originally by The Kinks)
    • Ice Cream Man (originally by John Charles Brim)
    • You're No Good (originally by Dee Dee Warwick, also Betty Everett, The Swinging Blue Jeans, and Linda Ronstadt, written by Clint Ballard Jr.)
    • Where Have All The Good Times Gone! (originally by The Kinks)
    • (Oh) Pretty Woman (originally by Roy Orbison, co-written by Bill Dees)
    • Dancing In The Street (originally by Martha and the Vandellas, also The Mamas and the Papas, Grateful Dead, Black Oak Arkansas, and The Kinks, written by Marvin Gaye, William Stevenson, and Ivy Jo Hunter)
    • Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now) (originally by Margaret Young, also Don Clark Orchestra, Ernest Hare, Billy Murray, Clementine Smith, Emmett Miller, Glen Gray, Peggy Lee, Merle Haggard, Ry Cooder, and Leon Redbone, written by Ager and Yellen
    • Happy Trails (originally by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, also Quicksilver Messenger Service and Janis Joplin, written by Dale Evans)
    • A Apolitical Blues (originally by Little Feat)
    • Won't Get Fooled Again [Live: Right Here, Right Now version] (originally by The Who)
  2. 2. What's your favorite album cover by Van Halen?

• Van Halen
    • Van Halen II
    • Women And Children First
    • Fair Warning
    • Diver Down
    • OU812
    • For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    • Balance
    • Live: Right Here, Right Now
    • Van Halen III
    • A Different Kind Of Truth
    • Tokyo Dome Live In Concert

I should wait to see what a True FanTM would pick . . . .

What’s a true fan?

:D

As I understand it, it's a semi-ironic (fully ironic?) running joke with users like Rick N. Backer and Goose to mock the idea that "true fans" will always pick the deepest cut or most obscure version of something as a way of showing off their authenticity, while also acknowledging that true fans will be familiar with the entirety of an artist's body of work by definition.

Gotcha.

Reminds me of an old comment on here which mentioned soccer moms listening to compilation albums.

Finbar!

Was it him? I thought it might’ve been that kid who fancied himself as the Cameron Crowesque Almost Famous boy. Puppetking I think was the name.

What’s a true fan?

As I understand it, it's a semi-ironic (fully ironic?) running joke with users like Rick N. Backer and Goose to mock the idea that "true fans" will always pick the deepest cut or most obscure version of something as a way of showing off their authenticity, while also acknowledging that true fans will be familiar with the entirety of an artist's body of work by definition.

Gotcha.

Reminds me of an old comment on here which mentioned soccer moms listening to compilation albums.

Finbar!

that was his signature but the quote came from puppetking2112 IIRC.

There it is!

• Like 1

What’s a true fan?

That's very very close. The only change I'd make is that a "true fan" or "real fan" would say You Really Got Me and the debut stink. Extolling the virtues of obscure material is half of the recipe, the other half is actively disliking things casual fans like.

You mean like when some TRFers say they don’t like Tom Sawyer and Limelight and (for bonus) say Free Will, YYZ, and Natural Science are overrated? :P

Oh, and their favorite Rush tune is off Presto, maybe something like Red Tide :hail:

This TRFer exists I just know it :P

Exactly.

• Like 1

What’s a true fan?

Gotcha.

Finbar!

that was his signature but the quote came from puppetking2112 IIRC.

Wow! Finbar and Puppetking. I remember them well.

For me, to pick, and choose by voting for a Van Halen's favorite cover song, and a c.d., and album cover, I'm not able to. Lorraine, if you are reading this, with your favorite c.d., and album cover from them, you didn't post your favorite cover song. Edited by Derek19

These all depend on mood, for me. The contenders...

Top Track: Where Have All The Good Time Gone, Dancing In The Streets, Big Bad Bill

Top Album Cover: VH, WACF, FW, Diver Down

• Like 1

VH II suffers from a dull font cover, but the rest of the art was great...

VH2_1.jpg

VH2_Dave.jpg

VH2_Mike.jpg

VH2_Ed.jpg

Great pics. Thanks for posting. The black and yellow Fender is in Dime's casket now. I think of that everytime I see this cover.

VH2_1.jpg

VH2_Dave.jpg

VH2_Mike.jpg

VH2_Ed.jpg

The broken foot is real, btw. It happened doing the jump depicted in the performance photos. I'm not sure if it's the actual shot captured though.

I always heard that it was. Makes for a better story, regardless.

This band was rare magic. A perfect six album run.

• Like 2

VH2_1.jpg

VH2_Dave.jpg

VH2_Mike.jpg

VH2_Ed.jpg

The broken foot is real, btw. It happened doing the jump depicted in the performance photos. I'm not sure if it's the actual shot captured though.

So that was the inspiration for Someone get me a doctor!

• Like 1

Thought I revive this old thread seeing as it caught my eye....

Actually like the sleek VH symbol on VH2. It's one of the more iconic band symbols IMO, like Opeth, another favourite.

Only had the cassette version (and showing my age) so never saw the inner LP pictures. Thanks to goose for that!

I don't think VH really did great cover pictures on their albums to be honest.

The DLR ones had the better covers. All up to Diver Down are ok.

I'd go with VH2 and Diver Down being the best even though they are minimalistic (?).

WACF and Fair Warning are ok too although bands just posing around aren't usually that great to my mind.

Unless it's Vixen or the Iron Maidens...or Heart in their youth (ok fine, I lose sexist brownie points :()

Most VH cover songs aren't too bad. The 1st Kinks one is the go-to one and Ray Davies liked it.

Even the novelty ones on Diver Down are fun too.

The one that always bored me a bit was Pretty Woman. Much preferred Dancing in the Streets and Where have all the good times gone where Eddie added a bit of something extra to them.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 1

VH2_1.jpg

VH2_Dave.jpg

VH2_Mike.jpg

VH2_Ed.jpg

So that was the inspiration for Someone get me a doctor!

I think this was...

jack-daniels-70cl-bottle-3D-model_600.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to goose for that!.

:cheers:

WACF and Fair Warning are ok too ...

I think Fair Warning is great!

fair_warning_Van_Halen_full_front_back_cover.jpg

• Like 2

I looked into the artist and painting a while ago, William Kurulec`s The Maze. He had a pretty tough life and the painting was about his upbringing and mental difficulties. A pretty good way to be immortalised :yes:
  • Like 1

I looked into the artist and painting a while ago, William Kurulec`s The Maze. He had a pretty tough life and the painting was about his upbringing and mental difficulties. A pretty good way to be immortalised :yes:

I do like it but I guess it creeps me out a bit which is understandable seeing as he was visualising the things he was.

You Rally Got Me just edged out Where Have All The Good Times Gone. It just had just a massive amount of energy and that Brown Sound is so damn good....Eddies riffing between verses...yeah.

1984 is my favorite Cover from them. Look....90% of their album covers were bland as hell and not creative. But 1984 was so distinctive with the baby angel smoking a cig.....totally Van Halen.

Edited by Todem