What's your favorite Van Halen cover?

Choose one  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite cover by Van Halen?

• You Really Got Me (originally by The Kinks)
    • Ice Cream Man (originally by John Charles Brim)
    • You're No Good (originally by Dee Dee Warwick, also Betty Everett, The Swinging Blue Jeans, and Linda Ronstadt, written by Clint Ballard Jr.)
    • Where Have All The Good Times Gone! (originally by The Kinks)
    • (Oh) Pretty Woman (originally by Roy Orbison, co-written by Bill Dees)
    • Dancing In The Street (originally by Martha and the Vandellas, also The Mamas and the Papas, Grateful Dead, Black Oak Arkansas, and The Kinks, written by Marvin Gaye, William Stevenson, and Ivy Jo Hunter)
    • Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now) (originally by Margaret Young, also Don Clark Orchestra, Ernest Hare, Billy Murray, Clementine Smith, Emmett Miller, Glen Gray, Peggy Lee, Merle Haggard, Ry Cooder, and Leon Redbone, written by Ager and Yellen
    • Happy Trails (originally by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, also Quicksilver Messenger Service and Janis Joplin, written by Dale Evans)
    • A Apolitical Blues (originally by Little Feat)
    • Won't Get Fooled Again [Live: Right Here, Right Now version] (originally by The Who)
  2. 2. What's your favorite album cover by Van Halen?

• Van Halen
    • Van Halen II
    • Women And Children First
    • Fair Warning
    • Diver Down
    • OU812
    • For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    • Balance
    • Live: Right Here, Right Now
    • Van Halen III
    • A Different Kind Of Truth
    • Tokyo Dome Live In Concert

I got myself a bowl of ice cream, thought to myself "I want to make a new thread," and it hit me! Ice Cream Man! Van Halen covers! They have a ton! Which is your favorite?
  • Like 3

I should wait to see what a True FanTM would pick . . . .

But until then I'll go for "You Really Got Me" (such great energy!) and VH 1 (great poses -- plus some of the others are kind of crap, so . . .)

What’s a true fan?

:D

As I understand it, it's a semi-ironic (fully ironic?) running joke with users like Rick N. Backer and Goose to mock the idea that "true fans" will always pick the deepest cut or most obscure version of something as a way of showing off their authenticity, while also acknowledging that true fans will be familiar with the entirety of an artist's body of work by definition.

• Like 1

What’s a true fan?

As I understand it, it's a semi-ironic (fully ironic?) running joke with users like Rick N. Backer and Goose to mock the idea that "true fans" will always pick the deepest cut or most obscure version of something as a way of showing off their authenticity, while also acknowledging that true fans will be familiar with the entirety of an artist's body of work by definition.

Gotcha.

Reminds me of an old comment on here which mentioned soccer moms listening to compilation albums.

The Kink's "You Really Got Me" followed ever so closely by The Big O's "Oh, Pretty Woman" as a close second.

However, if you include the instrumental preludes to both songs it would be reversed with "Intruder" / "Oh, Pretty Woman" followed closely by "Eruption" / "You Really Got Me".

That first cover is so iconic, you didn't have to know anything about the album's content to know that it was going to rock, so that's my choice.

Van_Halen_album.jpg

• Like 1

Ice Cream Man is the top 3 song from VH debut for me (Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love and Atomic Punk are No 1 and 2), so that wasn't a tough choice.

My favorite album cover is Fair Warning.

Same choices as me. Reasoning was that Ice Cream Man is totally owned by VH, it`s completely Van-Halenized and it`s classic Dave and early Eddie, whilst Fair Warning is a great piece of art (the full painting by William Kurulek is dark) and shows the grime and sleaze side of the band. If anyone picks Diver Down, they`re being a jerk :eh:
  • Like 1

Where Have All The Good Times Gone!

Diver Down

DLR said the album cover was meant to imply that "there was something going on that's not apparent to your eyes.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

You forgot "There's Only One Way To Rock" from Live Without a Net, which is my favorite.

Runner up: Ice Cream Man

Two things: Live Without A Net appears to be just a concert video and not an album, so it didn't come up when I was looking through their albums for covers last night. Also seeing as it's a Sammy Hagar song and Sammy Hagar is singing it, I don't count it fully. Sammy was a big star in his own right and Van Halen would've been fools not to play a couple of his biggest solo hits on tour while they had him.

• Like 1

But until then I'll go for "You Really Got Me" (such great energy!) and VH 1 (great poses -- plus some of the others are kind of crap, so . . .)

Not those. :)

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

What’s a true fan?

That's very very close. The only change I'd make is that a "true fan" or "real fan" would say You Really Got Me and the debut stink. Extolling the virtues of obscure material is half of the recipe, the other half is actively disliking things casual fans like.

• Like 1

What’s a true fan?

That's very very close. The only change I'd make is that a "true fan" or "real fan" would say You Really Got Me and the debut stink. Extolling the virtues of obscure material is half of the recipe, the other half is actively disliking things casual fans like.

You mean like when some TRFers say they don’t like Tom Sawyer and Limelight and (for bonus) say Free Will, YYZ, and Natural Science are overrated? :P

Oh, and their favorite Rush tune is off Presto, maybe something like Red Tide :hail:

This TRFer exists I just know it :P

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

What’s a true fan?

Gotcha.

Reminds me of an old comment on here which mentioned soccer moms listening to compilation albums.

Finbar!
  • Like 1

Let's be honest. With respect to the first 6 albums and the DLR-era covers, you could pretty much say any of them and be right.

Indeed

rolled with dancing in the street. loved the deads version too

and VH1

What’s a true fan?

Gotcha.

Finbar!

that was his signature but the quote came from puppetking2112 IIRC.

• Like 1