Is "Superconductor" Really That Bad?

_hi_water._

I've been looking at people's thoughts on "Presto" (the album) and what their least favorite song was. They also said it was their least favorite song overall. And that is "Superconductor." While this song isn't the strongest song ever, it's definitely better than "Scars" (but "Scars" does have some cool basslines, however).

I personally dig the riff to this song, it's very catchy.

I think the reason most people seem to hate this song is because of the lyrics. Now, anyone can pick their least favorite Rush song whether it's musically or lyrically bad.

"Superconductor" is definitely not one of the 'worst' lyrically, and it's not the 'worst' musically.

Lots of people will argue that it's lyrically terrible. I personally don't. It's about how corny and weird the music as of 1989 is. Though you might add that it's very dated, the only very dated song Rush ever wrote was "Virtuality" honestly (but "Peaceable Kingdom" is a little bit dated).

Overall, I don't think it's close to the worst ever. And I think there are some... 'weaker' songs on Presto. This isn't one of my faves, but not one of my least faves either.

Here's my Presto ranking:

11. Scars

10. Anagram (For Mongo)

9. War Paint

8. Available Light

7. Hand Over Fist

6. Superconductor

5. Red Tide

4. Chain Lightning

3. Presto

2. The Pass

1. Show Don't Tell

What are your thoughts on "Superconductor"?

Also, RIP Rupert Hine. Two Rush members died in the same year. This death was very sad, but Neil's death was the biggest kick in the balls.

Edited by _hi_water._

I don't think it's a bad song but I think they repeated the chorus one too many times to close out the song. It's kind of overkill for me. Imagine if they repeated the chorus to Freewill or Limelight multiple times to finish out the song. It would probably kill some of the enjoyment for those two songs. Sometimes less is more.
  • Like 1

I don’t care for it, mainly because it sounds more like Devo than Rush.

Rush wish they could have been as original as DEVO.

I’m sure they do. It was the orange plastic hats. :)

• Like 2

I don’t care for it, mainly because it sounds more like Devo than Rush.

Rush wish they could have been as original as DEVO.

I’m sure they do. It was the orange plastic hats. :)

First of all, they are red and they're called "Energy Domes". :P

Also, DEVO is doing their part to fight the Covids. a9cA1z8l.jpg

• Like 4

Not one of their finest moments imho.

True, but not one of their 'worst' moments either.

Indeed ....... The reggae version of Working Man springs to mind :facepalm:
  • Like 3

Well obviously in the minority but I think it's the standout from the album. I used to think it was a weak album overall but had another couple of listens recently and enjoyed it.

But if people don't like it for the lyrics then that probably explains it because I have to like the music 1st - the lyrics are only the icing on the cake.

And as some have said elsewhere, Rush lyrics are usually better then 99% of the trashy pop/rock lyrics out there elsewhere.