Most unique Rush album

Red3angel

VT is in my top 5 on some days from Rush. Anyone else agree it's a stand alone.doesnt feel like the others. Sound is different. I love it .IMO it's the best after PW and just can't be compared to the rest .
  • Like 4

It's a standout, for sure, and features some of Neil's best writing. The production choices make it hard to enjoy beginning to end.
  • Like 1

It's grown on me quite a bit. Probably their best album in the years between p/g and CA.
  • Like 1

I love Vapor Trails and Grace Under Pressure but my fav is Clockwork Angels. I enjoyed the story told by the songs and the energy throughout the music. The Garden was a classic ending song and very sentimental. For me it was a great album to close their career on. I know many don't feel that way but I always enjoy the whole album and the guys really seemed to be having a good time, high energy comes through for me. I found Rush late in their career so perhaps that is why I loved this album because I got to enjoy the excitement of a new album, then playing it over and over when it came out. I missed all the biggies 2112, Moving Pictures etc so this one sticks for me. Not to mention that I liked the steampunk element of it too. :heart: :rush:
  • Like 2

I really tried to love VT when it came out. I saw the tour 4 times.

That was the tour where I met a very grumpy red faced long black greasy haired Neil Peart. He looked like a modern day Johnny Cash Dressed in black from neck to toe. Standing there on the hot asphalt by the door of his bus.

Walking up to him and I couldn't get the words out to just say... "Thank you Neil... been playing the drums for decades thanks to you. I've met so many famous people in my life and I was never starstruck. Neil and I were two deers in headlights. A Mexican standoff. Neither of us flinched for 25 seconds. Then he slithered slowly back on his bus and closed the door. Old story. Oh well.

Amazing moment in my life.

Regardless, VT sucks, and I have tried so many times to get back into this album.

It's their worst album period.

The title of this thread is about a "unique" Rush Record.

I am going with "Caress Of Steel."

An album that critics hated. The Down The Tubes Tour. An album that almost put RUSH into the sewer of flushed dreams.

They wrote "I Think I'm Going Bald" as a homage to KISS for "Goin' Blind."

Most so-called Rush fans on here hate that song. LOL!! Notice. LOL!!!

"Caress Of Steel" is GENIUS.

One of the greatest albums on the Earth. Unique indeed, because most of the populous on this planet can't stand it.

LOVE IT!!!!!

"VT" is an over the top sonic non-melodic piece of crap. VT is to RUSH as ST ANGER is to METALLICA. HORRIFIC.

Geddy yodeling on "One Little Victory" makes me cringe.

All the Geddy background vocal overdub sampling loops make me want to rip my ears off with a Leatherface chainsaw.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Taking the high road, all Rush albums are unique. :) However, as we know, their albums are produced in phases - guitar driven, synth heavy etc....

I would say for uniqueness - Vapor Trails - it came out of the blue, and is all over the place...plus there are no real guitar solos....that is unique ;)

• Like 4

I'll have to go with VT. Think, layered, bricked. But even with those limitations, the songs themselves are great. Mostly. Edited by grep
  • Like 3

VT is in my top 5 too, but I think the most unique Rush album is Feedback. There is certainly nothing else like it -- an album of tepid covers.

It's so unique, I didn't bother buying it. :P

• Like 2

Going back to the four studio, one live album days, I ALWAYS thought that the third album in each series was the most unique!

Caress of Steel

Permanent Waves

Power Windows

Counterparts

Then the third one after VT was Snakes and Arrows! (If you include Feedback)

That's an interesting cycle!

• Like 1

I'd say the debut is the most unique, simply because it doesn't have the driving intellect that every other album had.

No driving intellect? What about the forward thinking mental health advice? "Take yourself a friend, keep them till the end, whether woman or man, it makes you feel so good, so good!"

Or the motivational blue collar anthem? "I guess that's why they call me, they call me the working man!"

Or the self-aware touring band's lament? "I said I've played this song, so many times, that the melody keeps repeating."

Or the multiple deep revelations of the human need for emotional connection? "Oooh, I need some love!" "Hey baby it's a quarter to eight, and I feel I'm in the mood!"

;)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Production: VT and RtB are quite unique. One is sonic assault, on the other the engineer evidently forgot to turn on the amp when Geddy was laying down his bass part.

Songwriting: Caress of Steel. That's not really a compliment.

Influences: Signals. It has some unique reggae and drum sounds that you don't hear much before or after.

Most familiar record? Presto. They didn't break any new ground at all on that one. And yet it's one of my favorites.

• Like 1

It's grown on me quite a bit. Probably their best album in the years between p/g and CA.

I agree.

In terms of most unique, i am going to say CA. This is due to the influence of the strings on that disc. I have wondered of what would of happened if they had gone with strings earlier instead of more keys?

• Like 1

I just think VT doesn't have any vibe of any of their other work.its almost a personal Neil album .Rush will always be the coolest band to me and all their albums are incredible but that particular album , even though far from my favorite is seamless and otherworldly just like MP
  • Like 3

I would say Signals. There's a strange vibe to it that nothing else in their catalog seems to have.

An honorable mention goes to Caress of Steel. Nothing else quite like it in their catalog either. I think Hemispheres would be a contender too. Not sure what else.

• Like 1