Permanent Waves 40th Edition - Liner Notes and Essay Now Online

Jag2112

I've often wondered what Alex thought of the emergence of Eddie Van Halen around the time of the recording of PeW. It seems to me like Alex did a little more atypical "shredding" on PeW (Freewill, Natural Science for example) than he had done previously. Could that have been a subconscious reaction to this new flashy player on the scene?

I don't believe I've seen any interview with Alex regarding the emergence of Eddie. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have had some kind of effect on him.

• Like 1

I've often wondered what Alex thought of the emergence of Eddie Van Halen around the time of the recording of PeW. It seems to me like Alex did a little more atypical "shredding" on PeW (Freewill, Natural Science for example) than he had done previously. Could that have been a subconscious reaction to this new flashy player on the scene?

I don't believe I've seen any interview with Alex regarding the emergence of Eddie. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have had some kind of effect on him.

Agreed. His electric guitar solo intro for La Villa seemed to be a response to the rise of shred happening in the late 70s, early 80s.

Edited by chemistry1973

On the flipside I recall reading that Alex Van Halen drove the rest of the band crazy by playing a tape of Permanent Waves constantly on the tour bus.

• Like 2

On the flipside I recall reading that Alex Van Halen drove the rest of the band crazy by playing a tape of Permanent Waves constantly on the tour bus.

His drum solos in the last decades are very evocative of Peart's.

Wow thanks Jag2112! I got lost in this essay and went to yesteryear with the band. Some really neat tidbits and details. I was all caught up in it and worked my way down. Then I got past the credits and saw the memorium...and some tears came down. Six months later.... RIP Neil.

Agreed. His electric guitar solo intro for La Villa seemed to be a response to the rise of shred happening in the late 70s, early 80s.

:eh:

er....excuse me....Alex was shredding on day one (The Necromancer and just about anything from ATWAS).... The question is: did EVH ever refer to Alex`s style or ability? (since Alex is a better overall guitar player than EVH.... :) )

:codger:

• Like 2

Cool read, thanks!

What's the scoop on the "Sir Gawain" lyrics? It sounds like a lyric sheet was going to be included in the box. Is there a transcription anywhere?

Yesterday I saw one of Neil's handwritten lyric sheets posted on Reddit, with lyrics for Sir Gawain. I was pretty blown away because I had never seen it before but it looks like it was published in a book (Page 177). I looked through the book in my PeW 40th set again, even though it isn't that many pages, it isn't in there. What I did notice though was that the transcription linked in this thread includes a sentence that was cut out from the final book: "Reading the lyrics now, as they appear here within this anniversary release, seen on Neil's original handwritten lyric sheet, would confirm that this idea was indeed not necessarily in step with the lyrical direction the band was taking with Permanent Waves." That is not seen in the book, nor the lyric sheet. I still don't know the origin at the moment.

Edit: The lyric sheet originates from the new book "Wandering The Face Of The Earth: The Official Touring History 1968-2015"

RUldHvV.jpg

Edited by By-Tor X-1
  • Like 2

Cool read, thanks!

What's the scoop on the "Sir Gawain" lyrics? It sounds like a lyric sheet was going to be included in the box. Is there a transcription anywhere?

Yesterday I saw one of Neil's handwritten lyric sheets posted on Reddit, with lyrics for Sir Gawain. I was pretty blown away because I had never seen it before but it looks like it was published in a book (Page 177). I looked through the book in my PeW 40th set again, even though it isn't that many pages, it isn't in there. What I did notice though was that the transcription linked in this thread includes a sentence that was cut out from the final book: "Reading the lyrics now, as they appear here within this anniversary release, seen on Neil's original handwritten lyric sheet, would confirm that this idea was indeed not necessarily in step with the lyrical direction the band was taking with Permanent Waves." That is not seen in the book, nor the lyric sheet. I still don't know the origin at the moment.

Edit: The lyric sheet originates from the new book "Wandering The Face Of The Earth: The Official Touring History 1968-2015"

RUldHvV.jpg

For YEARS I wanted to see some evidence of what his song might have been like and thought it have been this great mythical thing, but after reading those lyrics again I have to say I'm glad that song was abandoned. Very content with how things turned out.