Permanent Waves 40th Edition — Live Cuts

chemistry1973

Can I get a HELL YES!?

The live tracks are so good.

Cygnus X-1 is pure fire.

Good God; you couldn’t be any more correct. This live material is just blistering. One needs to put any and all audiophile snobbery aside, and simply appreciate the band performing at the absolute top of their game. This live release is affirmation of why so many of us became fans in the first place.

Absolutely right - these are the best we are going to get from this era. Hopefully there are more hidden gems like this out there. The trees - ironic for me because I never really liked the recorded song - is just killer. The improv in the middle of Cygnus X-1 is amazing too - definite shout out to Genesis there.

• Like 1

Kills me that they didn't give us a complete show. This stuff sounds great but I want more.

They will sell us complete shows in a couple of years. I'm certain.

I wish I could be as certain as you are.

It's the $ound of $alesmen.

• Like 1

Did they always skip the Apollo/Dionysus sections when they played Hemispheres live?

They played the whole thing when I saw them on the Hemispheres Tours.

Which is what bugs me about them not releasing a Hemispheres show for that one!

• Like 1

Can I get a HELL YES!?

The live tracks are so good.

Cygnus X-1 is pure fire.

Good God; you couldn’t be any more correct. This live material is just blistering. One needs to put any and all audiophile snobbery aside, and simply appreciate the band performing at the absolute top of their game. This live release is affirmation of why so many of us became fans in the first place.

Nobody here is questioning the performance.

I'm not seeing a connection between those fade outs and perceived audiophile snobbery. It's obvious the tapes haven't aged well but despite that they are great to have. I can still enjoy the hell out of the bonus disc (and the new version of the studio album too) yet still recognize that there seem to be some editing issues.

It’s the same version as it appeared on the 2112 Deluxe edition. Same intro anyway. I wish I could provide you with a more informed answer, but I really haven’t had a chance to do a deep dive on it yet as I am taking care of my sick wife.

Definitely the same version as 2112 Deluxe recorded in Manchester. The version on Exit i believe was from Glasgow.

Kills me that they didn't give us a complete show. This stuff sounds great but I want more.

They will sell us complete shows in a couple of years. I'm certain.

I wish I could be as certain as you are.

Hmmm .... i hope so .... I'll buy. TBH what we really need are complete soundboard shows from the Moving Pictures & Signals tours .... There ain't any out there.
  • Like 1

Top 5 live show wants

1) CoS headline gig

2) headline gig from April 1977

3) Signals tour

4) Complete MP show

5) pre 1st album gig

I understand these may not exist but it's just a wish list

• Like 1

Top 5 live show wants

1) CoS headline gig

2) headline gig from April 1977

3) Signals tour

4) Complete MP show

5) pre 1st album gig

I understand these may not exist but it's just a wish list

I agree with all 5 of your wants!!! ...

- I have tried to get at least 1 live show from every tour

- Only caveats ... must be complete show and must be soundboard

I think the 5 points you have made are exactly what i would need to complete my list! (although PeW has been a compromise ...

I made a composite show with the help of the new live tracks, I also have St. Louis but it is not complete). All other tours are covered.

So hopeful that next year an entire MP show will be delivered ... but ... i am fearing the worst .... a mish-mash of tracks from different shows.

attempting to determine what dates the new live tracks are from but it's difficult - especially the Manchester dates. The 2 dates in circulation are horrible sounding tapes, incomplete, Geddy's banter doesn't confirm which night they are playing and I believe one date is incorrectly identified because they both seem to be the same recording but labelled as both dates

I think Freewill is from the 6th

• Like 2

attempting to determine what dates the new live tracks are from but it's difficult - especially the Manchester dates. The 2 dates in circulation are horrible sounding tapes, incomplete, Geddy's banter doesn't confirm which night they are playing and I believe one date is incorrectly identified because they both seem to be the same recording but labelled as both dates

I have been looking for this info also but am still drawing a blank.

I painstakingly put together a nice live album of all of the officially released tracks from the 40th anniversary edition combined with the St. Louis show and Exit...Stage Left, to create a complete 1980 setlist. I spent a lot of time in my studio matching the sound of the individual sources as best I could through EQ, volume matching, compression, reverb, and some other editing tricks here and there (including fixing the fades from the 40th anniversary edition of Permanent Waves, many of which were criminally abrupt). Made the cover art for it here too (designed to imagine what a live album from 1980 might have looked like)! Shoot me a message if you're interested in more info and hearing it :)

Rush-Permanent-Waves-World-Tour-1980.png

• Like 4

I have been looking for this info also but am still drawing a blank.

I have meant to give the tracks a listen, but I will offer that Geddy's vocals were inconsistent enough that it should help ID.

Neil's drumming can also offer clues.

I painstakingly put together a nice live album of all of the officially released tracks from the 40th anniversary edition combined with the St. Louis show and Exit...Stage Left, to create a complete 1980 setlist. I spent a lot of time in my studio matching the sound of the individual sources as best I could through EQ, volume matching, compression, reverb, and some other editing tricks here and there (including fixing the fades from the 40th anniversary edition of Permanent Waves, many of which were criminally abrupt). Made the cover art for it here too (designed to imagine what a live album from 1980 might have looked like)! Shoot me a message if you're interested in more info and hearing it :)

Rush-Permanent-Waves-World-Tour-1980.png

Very cool.
  • Like 3

Excellent stuff on here. Might be my favorite live cuts from any of the recent 40th anniversary boxes. Xanadu is just magnificent with Alex's 1980 guitar tone.
  • Like 2

Excellent stuff on here. Might be my favorite live cuts from any of the recent 40th anniversary boxes. Xanadu is just magnificent with Alex's 1980 guitar tone.

That '80 Tour has always been a favorite of mine...probably more than any of the tours before it.

• Like 2