Permanent Waves 40th Edition — Live Cuts

chemistry1973

Kills me that they didn't give us a complete show. This stuff sounds great but I want more.

They will sell us complete shows in a couple of years. I'm certain.

I also really enjoyed the live tracks and have added the missing songs from the St Louis show to make up a full show, which sounds excellent. I’ve also added some of them into my copy of Exit Stage Left to make an expanded version (as these recordings were originally made for that album it seems to make sense...)

Did anyone else notice Alex playing part of the riff from The Camera Eye right at the end of The Trees?

• Like 3

Likes: the overall quality is great though BBB sounds a bit rough. The performance is generally excellent but whilst I am stoked at having an official live release of Hemispheres and especially from a gig I attended, the performance lacks cohesion at times especially during Prelude.

Gripe: As others mention, why no full set? My biggest gripe is that seeing as this is the only officially released version of Hemispheres they could have dialled back the audience participation during Lifeson’s harmonic section in Prelude. I know it’s a live album and I know audience participation adds to the thrill of listening but not here not now.

Edited by Tony R

Did they always skip the Apollo/Dionysus sections when they played Hemispheres live?

They played the whole thing when I saw them on the Hemispheres Tours.

• Like 1

Did they always skip the Apollo/Dionysus sections when they played Hemispheres live?

I guess they felt like they played the full version enough, and cut out those sections to make room for another song.

• Like 1

I guess they felt like they played the full version enough, and cut out those sections to make room for another song.

More than likely.

Those fade-outs at the end of The Trees and CTTH were ill-advised.

The worst bit is the beginning of Closer. The Sphere from London stops, then you hear it start again from Manchester this time as the synth changes tone for the CTTH intro. Terrible editing!

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice Alex playing part of the riff from The Camera Eye right at the end of The Trees?

Yes, interesting to hear that. I wonder if they took that jam section and created the whole Camera Eye from it?

On first listen The Trees is probably the highlight of the album for me.

I never realised Cygnus books 1 and 2 had so many parts removed from them on that tour. Stifled the enjoyment a bit.

• Like 1

For those who may be interested, Passage To Bangkok is available in FLAC format for $1.79 here....

https://us.7digital....ersary-11843191

I have been a customer for several years with no issues. They are a legitamite online retailer.

As far as as the track itself, it does sound like it has been remixed/remastered to fit sonically with this release. Could be just my old ears, but it seems to be the case.

Edited by hgwy407

Only on the PeW Tour - on the Hemispheres Tour they played the whole thing.

On the later Hemispheres shows where they previewed TSOR and Freewill, the Dionysus section was omitted. It goes from the guitar solo straight into Armageddon.

It bums that there's not a full live version of Hemispheres officially available. Especially as the Tucson recording that 2112 is lifted from on the Hemispheres 40th edition contains every note on the LP played live.

I’ve got the full album in hi-res.

Yes, the entire album is available there in 16 and 24 Bit resolutions, but for those who purchased the physical CD and want that stand alone track, a buck seventy-nine is hard to beat.

It’s the same version as it appeared on the 2112 Deluxe edition. Same intro anyway. I wish I could provide you with a more informed answer, but I really haven’t had a chance to do a deep dive on it yet as I am taking care of my sick wife. Edited by hgwy407
  • Like 2

Kills me that they didn't give us a complete show. This stuff sounds great but I want more.

They will sell us complete shows in a couple of years. I'm certain.

I wish I could be as certain as you are.

• Like 1

For those who may be interested, Passage To Bangkok is available in FLAC format for $1.79 here....

https://us.7digital....ersary-11843191

I have been a customer for several years with no issues. They are a legitamite online retailer.

As far as as the track itself, it does sound like it has been remixed/remastered to fit sonically with this release. Could be just my old ears, but it seems to be the case.

No that upset over it. Have it on the 2112 reissue though as you say something was likely done to it sonically.

Can I get a HELL YES!?

The live tracks are so good.

Cygnus X-1 is pure fire.

Good God; you couldn’t be any more correct. This live material is just blistering. One needs to put any and all audiophile snobbery aside, and simply appreciate the band performing at the absolute top of their game. This live release is affirmation of why so many of us became fans in the first place.

• Like 2