Highest Grossing 1980s Films Poll

JohnnyBlaze

Favorite of the highest grossing 80s films?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you like the most?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • E.T.
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Beverly Hills Cop
    • Back to the Future
    • Top Gun
    • Three Men & A Baby
    • Rain Man
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  2. 2. Which ones would you give an "A-" grade or higher?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • E.T.
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Beverly Hills Cop
    • Back to the Future
    • Top Gun
    • Three Men & A Baby
    • Rain Man
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Murphy's last enjoyable live action movie was so damn long ago. All the way back in '88...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL15eTRcAsg[/url]

Bowfinger was his last one before his comeback in Dolemite.

“KIT. Keep It Together!”

I saw Bowfinger but don’t remember it being too enjoyable. I only remember thinking “Meh...that was...ok...I guess.”

I never saw Dolemite.

Murphy's last enjoyable live action movie was so damn long ago. All the way back in '88...

“KIT. Keep It Together!”

I saw Bowfinger but don’t remember it being too enjoyable. I only remember thinking “Meh...that was...ok...I guess.”

I never saw Dolemite.

You should.
  • Like 1

“KIT. Keep It Together!”

I never saw Dolemite.

You should.

Alright. I assume it's much better than those Nutty Professor flicks.

• Like 1

“KIT. Keep It Together!”

I never saw Dolemite.

You should.

Just saw Dolemite tonight, it's funny to see it mentioned here. I wouldn't watch it with my mom but it's very entertaining. Eddie Murphy is really good in it.

• Like 2

Back in ‘83 when Chevy Chase was fun

http://youtu.be/1Z3wNGUJZgU

I agree. He's a grumpy puss now.

I had tickets to take my parents to Marin Ca to watch "A Christmas Vacation" on the big screen with Chevy Chase. Then he was going to to a Q&A after the show! I was so pumped.

THEN IT WAS CANCELLED!!!!

No reason given. This was in November so it wasn't because of Covid.

I am a "Vacation" Whore. I love all 5 of them. "Vegas Vacation" is so underrated.

I remember reading that they were going to do a "National Lampoon's Hawaiian Vacation" but Chevy hated the script!!!

• Like 1

I had tickets to take my parents to Marin Ca to watch "A Christmas Vacation" on the big screen with Chevy Chase. Then he was going to to a Q&A after the show! I was so pumped.

I am a "Vacation" Whore. I love all 5 of them. "Vegas Vacation" is so underrated.

I remember reading that they were going to do a "National Lampoon's Hawaiian Vacation" but Chevy hated the script!!!

I only like the original.

European Vacation should’ve had the original kids but in any case I couldn’t get any good laughs out of it.

Christmas Vacation seems well liked by most people but I thought the jokes seemed forced.

I didn’t see any of the others and don’t even know their names.

European Vacation should’ve had the original kids but in any case I couldn’t get any good laughs out of it.

Christmas Vacation seems well liked by most people but I thought the jokes seemed forced.

I totally agree about "European" it was way off, but I liked it. The kids were lame.

I absolutely love "Christmas Vacation." I watch it every Christmas Eve.

I can't agree with about the forced jokes.

Chevy nails his part when he rants and raves in front of the Christmas tree. "Christmas Vacation" gets Five Stars.

"Vegas Vacation" is absolutely awesome!!!!!!

The fifth one isn't great but I'm an old school nostalgic soul. Loved it.

I totally agree about "European" it was way off, but I liked it. The kids were lame.

Chevy nails his part when he rants and raves in front of the Christmas tree. "Christmas Vacation" gets Five Stars.

Nope, the magic was gone after Christie was gone.

I give Chase a 5-3 record, and the last funny movie I saw him in was Spies Like Us. (I never saw Three Amigos)

Speaking of 90s movies (despite this being an 80s movie thread), here’s a fun scene in a surprisingly very GOOD movie:

http://youtu.be/hIdsjNGCGz4

I’ve never been a Damon or Affleck fan but they filled their roles fine in this movie. :hail:

It also showed how Robin Williams was so much more than a comic\comedic actor.
  • Like 2

ET and 3 Men and a Baby are really the only 2 of these movies I don't watch if I come across them on TV now. They're both fine movies, but I don't love them. The rest are outstanding. But BHC was just such a great story, with a great comic actor at his peak. Eddie pretty much dropped like pool ball off a table a few years later, but in the early to mid 80s he was awesome. Same thing happened to Chevy Chase.

But 48 Hrs buries any of the Beverly Hills Cop movies.

Speaking of 90s movies (despite this being an 80s movie thread), here’s a fun scene in a surprisingly very GOOD movie:

http://youtu.be/hIdsjNGCGz4

I’ve never been a Damon or Affleck fan but they filled their roles fine in this movie. :hail:

It also showed how Robin Williams was so much more than a comic\comedic actor.

Totally. He probably has more dramatic roles that I like than comedic ones. Then, there’s something like Mrs. Doubtfire which successfully does both drama and comedy.

I give Chase a 5-3 record, and the last funny movie I saw him in was Spies Like Us. (I never saw Three Amigos)

I love "Three Amigos!" It's a BOMB.

• Like 1

It’s A bomb or THE bomb? :poke:

• Like 1

Hahaha! "Three Amigos" is a total bomb. A flop by Hollywood Box Office standards.

For a crazy guy like me? IT IS THE BOMB!!

I LOVE THE MOVIE!!!

JB!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???

I have referenced the "Three Amigos" many times when you, me and Pat are on here together late at night just having fun and fuckking typing!!!!!

Steve Martin........ Me but my hair is still dark. I'm lucky.

Chevy Chase........ Pat

Martin Short......... You

• Like 1

Hahaha! "Three Amigos" is a total bomb. A flop by Hollywood Box Office standards.

I LOVE THE MOVIE!!!

JB!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???

I have referenced the "Three Amigos" many times when you, me and Pat are on here together late at night just having fun and fuckking typing!!!!!

Chevy Chase........ Pat

I know you have. And I told you many times: “I haven’t seen it”. :LOL:

• Like 1

I LOVE THE MOVIE!!!

JB!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???

Chevy Chase........ Pat

I know you have. And I told you many times: “I haven’t seen it”. :LOL:

HAHAHA!

I know JB!

I'm a broken record on here!!!!! YOU KNOW THAT TOO! LOL!

FUCKK IT! RUSH ON!

Goodnight Martin Short. LOL

• Like 1

He’s always been a grumpy puss. He ruined his comeback in Community (the BETTER Big Bang Theory) with his selfish attitude towards the cast and Dan Harmon. He was banned from SNL when he hosted in 1997 for being a douche canoe towards the cast.

• Like 1

He’s always been a grumpy puss. He ruined his comeback in Community (the BETTER Big Bang Theory) with his selfish attitude towards the cast and Dan Harmon. He was banned from SNL when he hosted in 1997 for being a douche canoe towards the cast.

Remember his horrific attempt at being a host on his own TV Show? He was awful!! I was shocked. I believe the Chevy Chase Show was cancelled pronto.

Great poll but Raging Bull should have totally been on here.

Except this is about gross and not quality alone. It made around $23 million in 1980 dollars so it should be inflated by 30-40 million dollar for the present. Great movie, don’t get me wrong. Marty’s most successful non DiCaprio movies are Cape Fear, Casino Goodfellas and Hugo although the latter lost a lot of money for Paramount and had a high multiplier from opening week due to the holidays and Oscar buzz. Goodfellas did the same thing since it was released in September and topped at $46 million after Pesci won the Oscar. He did Cape Fear so it could make money for Universal as a favor for distributing Last Temptation Of Christ because of its controversy.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

ET and 3 Men and a Baby are really the only 2 of these movies I don't watch if I come across them on TV now. They're both fine movies, but I don't love them. The rest are outstanding. But BHC was just such a great story, with a great comic actor at his peak. Eddie pretty much dropped like pool ball off a table a few years later, but in the early to mid 80s he was awesome. Same thing happened to Chevy Chase.

BHC II>Another 48 Hrs.. The 3rd one was awful, though. I saw it on pay per view in junior high which was free for some strange reason by the cable company and it sucked. Taggart didn’t return and

his Detroit boss from the 1st two gets killed off at the beginning

Totally disagree. The first BHC was phenomenal. 48 Hours is great too, but not better.

Great poll but Raging Bull should have totally been on here.

Except this is about gross and not quality alone. It made around $23 million in 1980 dollars so it should be inflated by 30-40 million dollar for the present. Great movie, don’t get me wrong. Marty’s most successful non DiCaprio movies are Cape Fear, Casino Goodfellas and Hugo although the latter lost a lot of money for Paramount and had a high multiplier from opening week due to the holidays and Oscar buzz. Goodfellas did the same thing since it was released in September and topped at $46 million after Pesci won the Oscar. He did Cape Fear so it could make money for Universal as a favor for distributing Last Temptation Of Christ because of its controversy.

Good post. I didn't think about gross, only quality. I didn't know that's why Marty did Cape Fear!