Who's the hardest member of a band to replace?

choose one  

21 members have voted

1. 1. who's the hardest member of a band to replace?

• Bassist
    • Drummer
    • Keyboardist
    • Rhythm Guitarist
    • Lead Guitarist
    • Lead Singer
  2. 2. Who's the next hardest member to replace?

• Bassist
    • Drummer
    • Keyboardist
    • Rhythm Guitarist
    • Lead Guitarist
    • Lead Singer
  3. 3. And the third hardest to replace?

• Bassist
    • Drummer
    • Keyboardist
    • Rhythm Guitarist
    • Lead Guitarist
    • Lead Singer

On average, who do you think is the hardest band member to replace? the 2nd hardest? the 3rd? And why?

I would say the lead singer. More often than not they become the face of the band and the person people connect with the most and think of when the band comes up.

I'll use Iron Maiden as an example. With Dickinson they regularly fill arenas and stadiums. But when Blaze replaced him they struggled to even play in front of a few thousand people. The name Iron Maiden wasn't enough to sell tickets. They needed Bruce to get the fans to show up.

There is also something to be said for the person who is the primary songwriter for the band. Say Jimmy Page left Zeppelin after their third or fourth album. How do they replace him and his songwriting abilities? They would have been a completely different band without him.

• Like 2

The songwriter. Many bands replace singers, but it's the material quality that the fans depend on.
  • Like 4

Lead singer, who`s normally the songwriter. The vocalist becomes the literal mouthpiece of the band in most cases, as their words and performance dictate the energy live and interactions with the crowd. Van Halen the obvious example for how different they became with Hagar (even though it was Eddie who drove the musical direction). There was such an aura about Dave and he was funny as well as smart and that is the biggest reason they changed. You`d never have got a Chinatown-style lyric from VH with Sammy. And you`d never get Love Walks In with Dave either.
  • Like 2

The songwriter. Many bands replace singers, but it's the material quality that the fans depend on.

Nightwish and Iced Earth are prime examples of that. They've survived multiple vocalist changes because the main songwriter stays.

• Like 2

I would say the lead singer. More often than not they become the face of the band and the person people connect with the most and think of when the band comes up.

I'll use Iron Maiden as an example.

How about AC/DC, Van Halen and Black Sabbath as counter examples (not to mention, ironically, Iron Maiden)?
  • Like 3

Nightwish and Iced Earth are prime examples of that. They've survived multiple vocalist changes because the main songwriter stays.

Definitely. I mean, fans come and go, but most stay for the music.

Although I wish right now Nightwish would use more than one principal songwriter.

Edited by Segue Myles

. Edited by Segue Myles

I'll use Iron Maiden as an example. With Dickinson they regularly fill arenas and stadiums. But when Blaze replaced him they struggled to even play in front of a few thousand people. The name Iron Maiden wasn't enough to sell tickets. They needed Bruce to get the fans to show up.

There is also something to be said for the person who is the primary songwriter for the band. Say Jimmy Page left Zeppelin after their third or fourth album. How do they replace him and his songwriting abilities? They would have been a completely different band without him.

I think it's the singer too. Brian Johnson is good, but he sure as hell is nothing like BON. That pick up was a FAIL for me. I talked with Marc Storace of KROKUS many years ago when my ex and I partied with the band in Reno after a show.

Marc told me that he was going to replace Bon Scott, but his label Arista wouldn't let Krokus out of the contract so he had to decline.

Marc would have been soooooooo much better than BJ! JMO!!!

As one of the biggest ACCEPT UDO fans on the freaking planet, I thought it was going to be impossible to find a solid replacement for UDO after he left the band a second time.

But then enters Mark Tornillo. Ex TNT QUICK singer. Mark is an amazing fit for ACCEPT today! I love him, and I've met him a few times after gigs. He's another amazing and nice guy!!!!

• Like 1

It depends on the band. Maiden without Harris? How did AC/DC do when they replaced their singer?

Hahaha! Exactly!!! Brian Johnson is another sweet human being but in AC/DC? MEH!

I don't think he meant that in a bad way. With Brian, AC/DC became a million times more successful after Bon. Would it have happened with Bon? Who knows? Back In Black is certainly not the same album with Bon there.

• Like 2

Led Zeppelin was also a supergroup. When a band reaches that level, the departure of one member usually (but not always) ends the band.

The Who wasn't the same without Keith Moon.

RUSH would have disbanded immediately.

Black Sabbath lost their identity and mystique after Ozzy left.

• Like 3

Geoff Tate’s Queensryche is a good example why ‘vocalist’ might not be the answer. His version of Queensryche sucks.

They should’ve quit when DeGarmo did. Without that main songwriter they’re pretty forgettable no matter who the vocalist is in whichever Queensryche incarnation you’re thinking about.

• Like 2

The hardest is the singer. If you blindfolded fans and had them listen to a band's music, the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to tell if there was a different instrument player unless they were good players themselves, but a different singer will be instantly noticed. Especially when someone has such a distinctive voice as Geddy.
  • Like 2

It depends on the band.

It depends on the band. Maiden without Harris? How did AC/DC do when they replaced their singer?

Of course this. Yes, main songwriter is another obvious choice, but the poll choices are for instruments, not songwriters. In a lot of cases, a band's main songwriter is also their best instrumentalist, but not always.

Triumph without Rik Emmet's guitar and voice? Iron Maiden without Steve Harris' bass? Deep Purple without Jon Lord's keys? Van Halen without Eddie? (And you could argue Michael Anthony for his voice, too.) Metallica without James Hetfield? Kansas is a subpar version of itself without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren. Aerosmith without Steven Tyler? Different bands have different instruments that are too important to replace.

Some bands can plug and play an instrument and still be true to themselves. Yes had done it for decades with Chris Squire being the one constant -- and I thought he was the one irreplaceable piece until I saw Geddy sitting in for him.

• Like 5

Geoff Tate’s Queensryche is a good example why ‘vocalist’ might not be the answer. His version of Queensryche sucks.

They should’ve quit when DeGarmo did. Without that main songwriter they’re pretty forgettable no matter who the vocalist is in whichever Queensryche incarnation you’re thinking about.

HAHAHAHAHA!! JB! We are brothers from another mother. So happy I've made so many awesome friends on here!!!

Dude! I just listened to "Rage For Order," "EP" and "The Warning" last night! All on Japanese SHM cd pressings!!!

Tate was always my top three vocalist until he shit the bed.

1. Halford

2. Mercury

3. Tate

But then Geoff Tate became Geoff Taint. As in the piece of skin between the nut sack and the asshole. lol I met him a few times. Meh. Scott was always a nice guy! I miss Scott in Queensryche.

Once DeGarmo quit it was all over JB!

I will confess I like the new version of Ryche. Seen them a few times. Todd can pull it off, but it will never be the same. See?

Queensryche without Rockenfield sucks too. See?

• Like 2

Hahaha! Exactly!!! Brian Johnson is another sweet human being but in AC/DC? MEH!

I don't think he meant that in a bad way. With Brian, AC/DC became a million times more successful after Bon. Would it have happened with Bon? Who knows? Back In Black is certainly not the same album with Bon there.

I've read that Bon had written most of "Back In Black" before his passing. Urban Legend? Yeah, I took that the wrong way. I'm sorry.

I'm a Bon guy until I die.