YYNOT my argument to why they are the best option to "fill" Rush's shoes

I wrote a blog post about why I think that YYNOT is the perfect band to step up to the plate for new music in Rush's absence. Nobody could come close to filling their shoes but many bands have tried to capture their essence and haven't been able to. I think YYNOT is the band that does it best! What are your thoughts on the band? I know they've been analyzed a lot in this forum but with the lockdown in place and them constantly putting out new covers with their originals I thought it would be a good time to touch on it again.

https://takinastance.blogspot.com/2020/05/yynot-band-rush-fans-have-been-waiting.html

• Like 1

They are fantastic, and they continue a certain Rush flavour that I feel Rush left with CA. It's nice.

Do I think the only way to enjoy music that evokes feelings Rush give me being a band that sounds pretty much just like Rush? Not sure.

YYNot are derivative, but they are classy and really enjoyable.

Personally, as someone who enjoys experimental, nuanced and progressive music (not necessarily "prog"), I would gravitate towards bands with a more unique spirit and style: Coheed And Cambria, Thrice, Nightwish, even Maiden.

I wouldn't want to just listen to a band that sounds like Rush to find an equal sense of musical satisfaction.

Again, I like YYNot, but they aren't unique enough to have me convinced they are the best alternative to Rush now they are gone. That would be like Yes breaking up in 1975 and everyone saying Starcastle are the final say in what a fan should listen too.

Like Segue says, not sure why I'd want another Rush. I have 40 years of their music to enjoy at my finger tips. When I want Rush, I listen to Rush. When I want something else, I listen to something else.
  • Like 1

There won't be another Rush, so you have your wish there Stoopid. But I've always looked for a band similar, but not a copy, musically. That is the point I am trying to make. YYNOT is in no way "another Rush" they are a band that has similar features that I have been looking for with bass higher in the mix, subtle underlying keyboards and similar vocal phrasing. Just like the same way that Revolution Saints isn't Journey but has many similar features (including Deen Castronovo) but has a certain style of hook that is missing from a lot of other bands.

I don't need to find bands with a similar sound to Rush. It honestly doesn't even make sense to me that anyone would try and seek that out considering nobody else sounds like Rush. That being said, YYNOT are pretty good and I do like both of their albums. The Rush influence is definitely on full display but what makes them stand apart from Rush is Rocky's vocals. She brings a youthful pop feel to the band that Rush never really had. Musically, the band does a great job of keeping the Rush vibe alive.
  • Like 1

I don't need to find bands with a similar sound to Rush. It honestly doesn't even make sense to me that anyone would try and seek that out considering nobody else sounds like Rush. That being said, YYNOT are pretty good and I do like both of their albums. The Rush influence is definitely on full display but what makes them stand apart from Rush is Rocky's vocals. She brings a youthful pop feel to the band that Rush never really had. Musically, the band does a great job of keeping the Rush vibe alive.

I feel they are a weirdly effective blend of Paramore and Rush

Never thought I wanted that but there we go, I love it

• Like 1

YYNOT springs from and expands upon Rush's commercial arm. They are a "what if?" band to me, as in, "What if Rush was a lot more commercial and had a great female singer?" YYNOT makes that scenario a reality. If anything, they've proven how flexible Rush's sound can actually be and that it deserves to be in rock's palette moving forward.
  • Like 3

YYNOT springs from and expands upon Rush's commercial arm. They are a "what if?" band to me, as in, "What if Rush was a lot more commercial and had a great female singer?" YYNOT makes that scenario a reality. If anything, they've proven how flexible Rush's sound can actually be and that it deserves to be in rock's palette moving forward.

Agreed. I thought the second album was a lot more impressive than the first because it sounded like they were a band growing into their own, not unlike how Fly By Night expanded the Rush sound from its Led Zeppelin influenced roots.

• Like 1

YYNOT is offering musical services to musicians. It's not a bad deal considering their considerable talents.

A member of YYNOT performing guitar, bass or vocals on your track or demo

ADD TO CART: $300.00

Need a killer bassline, wicked guitar lead or a standout vocal for the track your working on? let the members of YYNOT help

$300 per player

https://yynotband.com/product/566383

• Like 1

YYNOT is offering musical services to musicians. It's not a bad deal considering their considerable talents.

Need a killer bassline, wicked guitar lead or a standout vocal for the track your working on? let the members of YYNOT help

$300 per player

$300 for session work is very reasonable.

• Like 2

I love YYNOT.

Great musicians and nice people.

Keeping that Rush ethos alive.

I hope they keep going and expanding. Their originals are more enjoyable and better crafted than most prog. They seem to have a tough time nailing down a drummer though. Joel is pretty incredible and seemed to gel really well.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

$300 per player

$300 for session work is very reasonable.

I doubt top session guys would even get out of bed for that price.

I love YYNOT.

Great musicians and nice people.

Keeping that Rush ethos alive.

I hope they keep going and expanding. Their originals are more enjoyable and better crafted than most prog. They seem to have a tough time nailing down a drummer though. Joel is pretty incredible and seemed to gel really well.

It's too bad. Joel is a monster and he did seem like a perfect fit for them but this band has Spinal Tap level issues keeping a skinsman onboard. Now it looks like this dude from Milwaukee is their new guy. He has his own studio he can record his drums in which is something Joel didn't have. They were supposed to do a gig with him but the pandemic took care of those plans.

• Like 1

Great band!!

Has nothing to do with them having a "Rush vibe". They are simply a great band that writes great songs.

Hard to believe anyone on this forum doesn't like them.

• Like 1