Three BEST and three WORST Lifeson solos -- name yours!

Weatherman

Just listened to Walk from Wasting Light. Great song and sounds great too. Very high energy, rockin' performance. I heard some Radiohead influence in places too.

Wanting to capture the essence of their earlier work and avoid the artificiality of digital recording, the Foo Fighters recorded in the garage of frontman Dave Grohl in Encino, California, using only analog equipment. The sessions were produced by Butch Vig, with whom Grohl had worked on Nirvana's Nevermind. Since the old equipment did not allow for many mistakes to be corrected in post-production, the band spent three weeks rehearsing the songs, and Vig had to relearn outdated editing techniques.

Nice! Most of us don't have access to all that analog equipment, much of it very expensive, I'm sure, but great that they went old school for that album. Thing is, you could do the same thing recording digitally (with a possibly less warm sound albeit). You just have to make a pact with yourself that you will rehearse the hell out of your songs before recording them. It'll sound a million times better than if you phone in a mistake laden, low energy performance that you then quantize the ca ca out of and in the process remove any last bit of soul that may have accidentally made it into your performance.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 1

I really like Wasting Light—BUT

Butch Vig is a drummer and yet he couldn’t conjure a better sound from the drums? It’s the worst drum sound I’ve ever heard. That snare sounds like an actual paper-bag.

2) Freewill

Freewill is spazzy and sounds like someone just trying to keep up with the frenetic pace of his drummer and bassist.

IMO, that more aptly describes the solo in A Farewell to Kings.

2) Freewill

Freewill is spazzy and sounds like someone just trying to keep up with the frenetic pace of his drummer and bassist.

IMO, that more aptly describes the solo in A Farewell to Kings.

Which also rocks :haz:

Butch Vig is a drummer and yet he couldn’t conjure a better sound from the drums? It’s the worst drum sound I’ve ever heard. That snare sounds like an actual paper-bag.

It's always sounded good to me. :huh:

• Like 1

Really? The drums don't sound that terrible to me. Maybe the snare could pop a little more but it's still in keeping with the back to basics ethos of the record. Grohl is a drummer too and I'm sure he had a lot of input on the overall sound of the album. Seems to me he likes those guitars really loud. So loud they may have crowded out the drums a bit.

• Like 2

Really? The drums don't sound that terrible to me. Maybe the snare could pop a little more but it's still in keeping with the back to basics ethos of the record. Grohl is a drummer too and I'm sure he had a lot of input on the overall sound of the album. Seems to me he likes those guitars really loud. So loud they may have crowded out the drums a bit.

I mean if there was any problem with the drums maybe it was a too many cooks in the kitchen problem. Dave and Butch maybe disagreeing on what they should sound like while Taylor's the one actually laying them down and writing them, lol.

• Like 1

I mean if there was any problem with the drums maybe it was a too many cooks in the kitchen problem. Dave and Butch maybe disagreeing on what they should sound like while Taylor's the one actually laying them down and writing them, lol.

Haha. That's true. A lot of drummers there. When did drummers take over music production? lol.

Other drummers with expanded roles:

Phil Collins

Don Henley

• Like 1

Haha. That's true. A lot of drummers there. When did drummers take over music production? lol.

Other drummers with expanded roles:

Phil Collins

Don Henley

The drums probably fine, but being a drummer my hearing is likely fooked.

• Like 1

Available Light has one of the weakest solos for sure

I don’t know, it suits the feeling of the song and he has a great tone. Sure he doesn’t do anything flashy but he doesn’t play any bad ideas either.

• Like 2

Best:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. 2112: Presentation

3. The Analog Kid

4. Xanadu

5. Limelight

WORST:

1. Force Ten (studio, live is awesome)

2. Bastille Day (great song, but the solo is like five unique notes)

3. One Little Victory (boring, just the vocal part but on guitar)

4. Driven

5. Wish Them Well

Oops, was I only supposed to do three? :LOL:

Edited by Disk98

Three favourites are;

1.The Trees

2. The Camera Eye

3. The Analog Kid

Three least favourites

1.Turn the Page

2 Limbo

3.Lock and Key

Then those songs that should have had amazing solos bit didn't, wasn't he allowed? Force Ten, AfterImage, Red Sector A, Vital Signs, Show Don't Tell

I can't think of a least favorite, but here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

La Villa Straingato

Kid Gloves

Natural Science (both solos)

Red Tide (All too short)

Bravado

Limelight

Necromancer

Between the Wheels

The Pass

I know I'm entering a minefield when I say that I find Alex's solo's to be hit or miss :ph34r:

3 faves:

La Villa

Working Man-Hammersmith 78

Red Sector A- brilliantly melodic, fits the atmosphere perfectly, a chordal solo which he excels at.

3 Least faves:

Freewill

Tom Sawyer- For the same reasons stated by OP

Natural Science- second solo, I don't usually like the "spastic elbow tremolo picking"

Compositionally and rhythmically Alex is unassailable.

• Like 1

So I grew up cutting my teeth on Alex's parts. Learning his voicing gave me some of my musical knowledge, and a lot of my speed/chops.

He's not my favorite guitarist anymore -- my tastes have changed -- but some of his work still resonates.

THREE BEST SOLOS (in chronological order):

1) 2112 - Overture

2) La Villa Strangiato (that slow part in Am->F that builds to a crescendo)

3) Limelight

Of course you can argue with those. (The Pass should be a verrrry close fourth.)

But his melodic work sounds the best to my ears.

THREE WORST SOLOS (in chronological order)

You guys are probably gonna hate my list...

1) The Fountain of Lamneth

2) Freewill

3) Tom Sawyer

Freewill is spazzy and sounds like someone just trying to keep up with the frenetic pace of hi

s drummer and bassist. Tom Sawyer I've never enjoyed the phrasing much. Lamneth: don't even get me started.

You?

Just curious, doesn't Fountain have a couple of solos? Which ones don't you like?

I posted that I find Alex's solo's to be hit or miss, so I admire your courage!

I like the ones in No One at the Bridge and Bacchus Plateau.

Anyway, I thought Alex always recorded a bunch of takes and had Geddy piece his solos together....(or only true for some solos?)

I seem to recall reading that sometime in the early 80s - possibly about Limelight. I wonder when they actually started practicing this method though. Can anyone link to an interview where they mention it?

I have my doubts they did it on anything prior to AFTK the album which is when these angular, jagged solos started showing up (although there were hints of the style in solos on prior albums). The song A Farewell to Kings specifically was a new kind of solo for Alex at the time and I think it can be argued it was the prototype for Tom Sawyer's great solo. It's more abstract in nature than denoting a specific emotion through melody. Of course, Rush went full-tilt with the odd time sigs on AFTK which must have forced Al to get really creative with his soloing. Can anyone identify another guitar player soloing quite like this prior to AFTK?

Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage, Cinderella Man, La Villa Strangiato also have stand out solos in this style. It really emerged as one of his musical signatures as time went on.

Sometimes hearing someone else competently playing Al's stuff can be a refresher on what a musical genius the guy actually is.

http://youtu.be/GN5taxJRg5g

I kinda get a John McLaughlin vibe from the Kings solo. JM played a lot of fast, atonal stuff. I wonder if Alex was listening to John. I know Neil liked Billy Cobham.

I know I'm entering a minefield when I say that I find Alex's solo's to be hit or miss :ph34r:

3 faves:

La Villa

Red Sector A- brilliantly melodic, fits the atmosphere perfectly, a chordal solo which he excels at.

3 Least faves:

Freewill

Natural Science- second solo, I don't usually like the "spastic elbow tremolo picking"

Red Sector A -- yes! I totally forgot about that solo. It's great.

It serves the song rather than vice versa. It's a great bridge, heightens the tension, takes you on a mini-journey, and has a real melodic sense.

Natural Science sounds worse with every passing year. That spacey bizarre prog shit just sounds more and more antiquated as I get older....

Happy someone agrees with me on Tom Sawyer and Freewill. Tom Sawyer's solo has some bizarre amelodic phrasing in it. And Freewill's solo sounds like static to me -- it might as well be totally disconnected from the rest of the song.

What Tom Sawyer DOES have that's incredible--

--(other than the fills, the lyrics, the singing, the bass, the keys, etc)--

--is the way that small motif gets passed around first from the keys, second to the guitar, third to the bass, all in about 12 bars. "DEE-do-dee-do-DEE-do, DEE-do-dee-do-DEE-do." You know the one. It's awesome the way the SAME FRAGMENT is passed like a hot potato from instrument to instrument, and in such a skillful way most people don't even notice it happening.

3 faves:

La Villa

3 Least faves:

Freewill

Red Sector A -- yes! I totally forgot about that solo. It's great.

It serves the song rather than vice versa. It's a great bridge, heightens the tension, takes you on a mini-journey, and has a real melodic sense.

Natural Science sounds worse with every passing year. That spacey bizarre prog shit just sounds more and more antiquated as I get older....

Happy someone agrees with me on Tom Sawyer and Freewill. Tom Sawyer's solo has some bizarre amelodic phrasing in it. And Freewill's solo sounds like static to me -- it might as well be totally disconnected from the rest of the song.

What Tom Sawyer DOES have that's incredible--

--(other than the fills, the lyrics, the singing, the bass, the keys, etc)--

--is the way that small motif gets passed around first from the keys, second to the guitar, third to the bass, all in about 12 bars. "DEE-do-dee-do-DEE-do, DEE-do-dee-do-DEE-do." You know the one. It's awesome the way the SAME FRAGMENT is passed like a hot potato from instrument to instrument, and in such a skillful way most people don't even notice it happening.

Agree that part in TS does totally rule!

My faves are Limelight,Between the Wheels,La Villa.My favourite album for solos (which some people will disagree with)is GUP.Being a guitarist this album changed my outlook on solos.I have mentioned this before but a Guitar Player magazine at the time had features on Alex’s playing on GUP and EVH’s Diver Down.At that time I was an Eddie nut with all the speed and finger tapping nonsense.I remember Alex saying he was impressed with Eddie’s technique but ultimately it didn’t have longevity with him.Afterimage and Red Sector A like BTW are emotional solos and reflect the music and lyrics.But he still revved it up on Kid Gloves which I thought at the time was a dig at EVH with that wtf was that moment.Special mentions for Bravado,Avaidable Light and Red Barchetta.If there is any solos I don’t care for is the squally speed solos on Analog Kid and Spirit of Radio.Another special mention Shutting Up (?) off Victor. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

Free Will and Tom Sawyer?

You're on acid.

The problem might be that they aren't on acid. :smoke:

• Like 1