Which of your ‘things’ are you so inexplicably attached to?

Blue J

My photo albums and computer files. They contain my life. Who I am and nearly everything that I have done are in them.

Same.

I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.

Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.

I am the same, although not as backed up as you are. One of these days . . .maybe this will encourage me to start sooner rather than later.

It's pretty simple.

Copy 1 is the live data. Files, photos, music. Adding as time goes on.

Copy 2 - weekly rsync backup to an external drive. Mirror copy.

Copy 3 - monthly compressed copy of -2- to another external drive. Takes a while. Result is archives by date. so:

photos.2019.12.31.tar.gz

photos.2020.01.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.02.29.tar.gz

photos.2020.03.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.04.30.tar.gz

mydocs.2019.12.31.tar.gz

The script for Copy 3 also has a housekeeping function. It will delete any archives, on that drive, older than 6 months old.

So I'm effectively running a set of 6 month rolling copies to fall back to -3-.

A weekly snapshot to recover to quickly -2-,

and my live -1-.

Also, between 1 and 2, a daily snapshot of my most critical stuff that can't wait for the weekly backup, to a second /internal/ drive. Photos and key documents. Idea being that if something goes wrong, I can fall back to yesterday instead of last week.

In my case, my main machine is running Fedora LINUX. So these are all ksh shell scripts. I'm pretty sure something similar can be done on Windows with .bat files.

Hope that helps!

Backups are absolutely essential. But you're not truly backed up until you're offsite. Having all your backups in 1 physical location is a recipe for disaster. Cloud storage is cheap, and so are dedicated servers. Both of those will accomplish a true offsite backup solution.

You seem knowledgeable enough. Build a Linux server on an old tower box, put it in a family member or friends house, get them a dedicated IP, and boom...offsite backup!

• Like 1

My photo albums and computer files. They contain my life. Who I am and nearly everything that I have done are in them.
Same.I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.
I am the same, although not as backed up as you are. One of these days . . .maybe this will encourage me to start sooner rather than later.

It's pretty simple.

Copy 3 - monthly compressed copy of -2- to another external drive. Takes a while. Result is archives by date.

so:

photos.2019.12.31.tar.gz

photos.2020.01.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.02.29.tar.gz

photos.2020.03.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.04.30.tar.gz

mydocs.2019.12.31.tar.gz....

The script for Copy 3 also has a housekeeping function. It will delete any archives, on that drive, older than 6 months old.

So I'm effectively running a set of 6 month rolling copies to fall back to -3-.A weekly snapshot to recover to quickly -2-,and my live -1-.

Also, between 1 and 2, a daily snapshot of my most critical stuff that can't wait for the weekly backup, to a second /internal/ drive. Photos and key documents. Idea being that if something goes wrong, I can fall back to yesterday instead of last week.

External drives are only turned on when backups are happening. 1x a week or month. So lifespan should be 7-10 years, or if the data sizes out before then.

In my case, my main machine is running Fedora LINUX. So these are all ksh shell scripts. I'm pretty sure something similar can be done on Windows with .bat files.

Hope that helps!

Same.

I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.

Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.

It's pretty simple.

Copy 3 - monthly compressed copy of -2- to another external drive. Takes a while. Result is archives by date. so:

photos.2019.12.31.tar.gz

photos.2020.01.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.02.29.tar.gz

photos.2020.03.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.04.30.tar.gz

mydocs.2019.12.31.tar.gz

So I'm effectively running a set of 6 month rolling copies to fall back to -3-.

A weekly snapshot to recover to quickly -2-,

and my live -1-.

Hope that helps!

Backups are absolutely essential. But you're not truly backed up until you're offsite. Having all your backups in 1 physical location is a recipe for disaster. Cloud storage is cheap, and so are dedicated servers. Both of those will accomplish a true offsite backup solution.

You seem knowledgeable enough. Build a Linux server on an old tower box, put it in a family member or friends house, get them a dedicated IP, and boom...offsite backup!

Thanks to both of you! I really gotta get this done. If for no other reason than our house has already been struck by lighting 3 times and 2 computers got fried because of that. Luckily I didn't have too much on them at the time and it was backed up by iCloud but yes, it's a situation. We now have more protection from the lightning but nothing's perfect.

My firearms collection, my knife collection, my sword collection, my percussion instruments collection and a pen that I own that actually flew on a space shuttle mission.
  • Like 1

Mostly original music related. My old 4-track tapes with my original songs on them...especially the ones I haven't digitized yet (which I've begun the long process of within the last year). Also, music gear. God knows why I keep some of it. My musical output is a shadow of what it once was. Some of this gear I'll never use again. I even keep the broken stuff. It's sad.

I definitely need to be better about backing up my computer files.

• Like 1

My teddy bears. Collectible and artist bears. A number of limited editions and one offs. Karen started the collection, and I finshed it. They're all over the house, close to 100 pieces total.
  • Like 1

My teddy bears. Collectible and artist bears. A number of limited editions and one offs. Karen started the collection, and I finshed it. They're all over the house, close to 100 pieces total.

Cool. I’m interested in collections like that. My mom has an angel collection and my sister-in-law has a Santa one. Both collections contain pieces from around the world. It’s cool to look at them when they’re all on display. I guess I have my own with action figures, though I don’t keep them in boxes or under ideal preserving circumstances. I just like to look at them from time to time.

Have you got any favorite bears in your collection?

Cool. I’m interested in collections like that. My mom has an angel collection and my sister-in-law has a Santa one. Both collections contain pieces from around the world. It’s cool to look at them when they’re all on display. I guess I have my own with action figures, though I don’t keep them in boxes or under ideal preserving circumstances. I just like to look at them from time to time.

Have you got any favorite bears in your collection?

Oh yes! When Karen showed me her 1st bear, which was on layaway I looked it over. But as I did, I kept looking at this other bear. It was smiling at me! I gave the store owner Karen's bear and walked over to a table of bears- most of them smiling at me. The owner says to Karen, "Oh Lord, he's going for to Beaver Valley, you're in trouble." That started my love of bears, and Washington artist Kaylee Nilan's Beaver Valley Bears, some of which appear to be smiling due to a hinged jaw you can open and close-a jaw that also has palates and teeth cast from polyresin. I have 2 Beaver Valley bears, both signed and numbered limited editions.

Those are my top two favorites - but when you get bit by that bug, it can bite hard! One of our friends had what I call a "Steiff case", Steiff being the German company synonymous with Teddy bears. A display case with some 25 bears, all limited editions, and at the time (early 1990's), none valued at less than $5K each. That value has likely dropped some, but like I said, when you get bit...

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2