Which of your ‘things’ are you so inexplicably attached to?

Blue J

I was thinking about material possessions today, and how I really don’t think of myself as a materially driven or materially-minded person at all (though I do have a small collection of vintage and specialty Martin guitars- but I think about those more from a historical perspective, rather than a material one).

Anyway, I thought this would be a fun/interesting question to get input from other people about...do you have any ‘things’ to which you are especially or inexplicably attached? It can be as special or as mundane as you please.

For me, it’s my Iris Murdoch books. She wrote 26 novels in a roughly 40-year period from the mid to late 20th century; I own all but one or maybe two of them. Every couple of years, I’ll go on a run of her books and pick maybe three or four of them to revisit. (Right now, I am reading one that I haven’t read in about five years).

I think of all the books I own, I could get rid of all of them and just keep hers, and I’d still be just insanely happy with reading in general. I just love her writing.

• Like 4

my Budgie 3-disc set that i bought in Canada

IMG_8012.jpg

• Like 2

My photo albums and computer files. They contain my life. Who I am and nearly everything that I have done are in them.
  • Like 6

My photo albums and computer files. They contain my life. Who I am and nearly everything that I have done are in them.

Same.

I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.

Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Same.

I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.

Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.

I am the same, although not as backed up as you are. One of these days . . .maybe this will encourage me to start sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I'm kind of a pack rat, so I've got books (about 2000), physical cds (over 1000), a box full of my Star Wars figures from my childhood, football cards, a surprising quantity of cassette tapes, etc.

My kids have already told me that when I die, they're just going to burn the house down, rather than try to pack it all up.

More seriously, as I get closer to retirement, my wife and I have mooted downsizing to a small home and buying an RV to travel around in, and I get sweaty and anxious just thinking about having to get rid of stuff I've had for forty years.

• Like 2

Let me just say this if I was an alien observing the Planet Earth preparing a report for my commanders, my final summary in one sentence would be: "Human beings don't care about one another but they care about the money they think they can get from one another."
  • Like 2

My books. Definitely. When we moved, I had boxes and boxes and boxes. The lady who helped me took it upon herself to donate my books. I tracked down some of them, others are lost, and I've replaced many of them, and then some. One of the rooms in our place has four bookcases and four wall-to-wall shelves filled with books.

This is the second time I've had to do this. My mother was the first one to deep six my book collection. Many of those books were out-of-print books that could not be replaced.

One man's treasure is apparently another man's junk.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

My books. Definitely. When we moved, I had boxes and boxes and boxes. The lady who helped me took it upon herself to donate my books. I tracked down some of them, others are lost, and I've replaced many of them, and then some. One of the rooms in our place has four bookcases and four wall-to-wall shelves filled with books.

This is the second time I've had to do this. My mother was the first one to deep six my book collection. Many of those books were out-of-print books that could not be replaced.

One man's treasure is apparently another man's junk.

I can definitely feel that pain...not that I’ve ever had anyone take it upon him- or herself to get rid of any of my books, but through various moves, I’ve lost some things- most important of which to me were a couple of notebooks full of my own writing. I had some things that I was really happy with...just gone forever.

• Like 1

Things are just things to me; I don't keep material possessions. Even photographs are nice, but I still have the memories. I guess the only material item that's followed me through life is my 81 Ibanez Artist guitar, which is the first good guitar that I bought. I'll probably keep that forever, but I rarely play anymore.
  • Like 3

Things are just things to me; I don't keep material possessions. Even photographs are nice, but I still have the memories. I guess the only material item that's followed me through life is my 81 Ibanez Artist guitar, which is the first good guitar that I bought. I'll probably keep that forever, but I rarely play anymore.

That’s exactly the thing- it’s not a matter of it being highly valuable in s material sense, necessarily. Just something that means a lot to you to have.

• Like 2

weird but i have this really old chain. that i've had since i was 11. that i just hold on to. but it's mostly like a weird side affect of my Cerebral Palsy. i need to grip and hold on to something.

and i've seen other people with CP do the same.

Mick

• Like 2

I wouldn't consider myself particularly attached to it, but 30 years after it was released, I still have my copy of "Presto", and that fact makes me wonder if I'm some sort of hoarder.
  • Like 2

That’s exactly the thing- it’s not a matter of it being highly valuable in s material sense, necessarily. Just something that means a lot to you to have.

Although I occasionally think about selling it...it's starting to be considered 'vintage' in some circles. It's worth more than I bought it for, but I don't need the money and it's not so much to make a difference. I'd put it up against any Les Paul of that era, which were crap back in early 80s.

• Like 1

We just received our signed letter from the White House today touting the stimulus check. Some might consider that a valuable possession. I think I'll keep it just in case we run out of toilet paper.
  • Like 4

I wouldn't consider myself particularly attached to it, but 30 years after it was released, I still have my copy of "Presto", and that fact makes me wonder if I'm some sort of hoarder.

:LOL:

Knowing the way I know you feel about that album, I would say that’s slightly more than moderately understated.

• Like 3

Although I occasionally think about selling it...it's starting to be considered 'vintage' in some circles. It's worth more than I bought it for, but I don't need the money and it's not so much to make a difference. I'd put it up against any Les Paul of that era, which were crap back in early 80s.

Absolutely; it’s not about the money that it’s worth, but you just love having it.

The first vintage guitar I ever bought was (is) a 1936 Martin 0-17, one of the all-mahogany models...12 frets clear of the body, slotted headstock...I’ve never seen another one exactly like it, before or since. And the only way I’d ever part with it is if I HAD to have the money that it’s worth (I got it for a ridiculous deal, from a store owner who was a month away from retirement at the time).

I’ve had all of my instruments appraised and insured- but I’m more interested in them as pieces of music history more than anything else.

Well, and they still play and sound great, which doesn’t hurt.

• Like 1

My p-nis just wouldn't be able to part with it...

Wouldn't be able to part with what?

:o ;)

my Budgie 3-disc set that i bought in Canada

IMG_8012.jpg

I just bought this from Amazon. It has the Third, fourth and fifth albums in it. '73-'75.I was introduced to this band by my BFF Dave Plummer. I Never bought Any Albums before though. He also introduced me to Fairport Convention also. Haven't bought that album yet either.

3i9UN2D.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

Same.I have a multi-tiered backup system in place too. Hand written myself, using external drives. If one doesn't have 3 copies of their data, then it doesn't really exist.Haven't done offline yet.... don't want to pay Amazon for it just yet.
I am the same, although not as backed up as you are. One of these days . . .maybe this will encourage me to start sooner rather than later.

It's pretty simple.

Copy 1 is the live data. Files, photos, music. Adding as time goes on.

Copy 2 - weekly rsync backup to an external drive. Mirror copy.

Copy 3 - monthly compressed copy of -2- to another external drive. Takes a while. Result is archives by date.

so:

photos.2019.12.31.tar.gz

photos.2020.01.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.02.29.tar.gz

photos.2020.03.30.tar.gz

photos.2020.04.30.tar.gz

mydocs.2019.12.31.tar.gz....

The script for Copy 3 also has a housekeeping function. It will delete any archives, on that drive, older than 6 months old.

So I'm effectively running a set of 6 month rolling copies to fall back to -3-.A weekly snapshot to recover to quickly -2-,and my live -1-.

Also, between 1 and 2, a daily snapshot of my most critical stuff that can't wait for the weekly backup, to a second /internal/ drive. Photos and key documents. Idea being that if something goes wrong, I can fall back to yesterday instead of last week.

External drives are only turned on when backups are happening. 1x a week or month. So lifespan should be 7-10 years, or if the data sizes out before then.

In my case, my main machine is running Fedora LINUX. So these are all ksh shell scripts. I'm pretty sure something similar can be done on Windows with .bat files.

Hope that helps!

Edited by grep
  • Like 1