The MOST Important Poll You'll Ever Vote In On TRF

Lorraine

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat your pizza crusts?

Most of the time. I suspect those that don't are the same people who had the crust cut off their sandwiches by mommy. :LOLsign:

I grew up next door to someone whose mother cut the crusts off of her bread when she made her a sandwich for lunch. I used to watch in amazement. No one ever cut the crusts off of my bread.

• Like 1

I haven't had a decent pizza since I left the NYC metro area. However, when we moved here, I purchased a frozen pizza and stuck it in the freezer. One Saturday, having exhausted my repertoire of culinary not-so-delights, I decided to make it. I doctored it up a bit - threw on some more cheese and Italian seasoning and salt - and shoved it in the oven. It was actually very good, and the crust is the best part.

It's a Freschetta Four Cheese Self-Rising Pizza.

It could be I've been so long without having had a real pizza that I've forgotten what good pizza tastes like, but I think this Freschetta is pretty darn good. Even the sauce on the pie is good.

:pizza:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I also like the end of the bread - does anyone know it as the " heel" of the bread? Maybe its a family thing.

The heel has more gusto. Even better toasted.

even more weirdness - bagels, italian bread (has to be sesame seeded) - i will peel off the crust and eat that part, and give the rest to the birds.

I know. strange, and wasteful.

• Like 2

I also like the end of the bread - does anyone know it as the " heel" of the bread? Maybe its a family thing.

even more weirdness - bagels, italian bread (has to be sesame seeded) - i will peel off the crust and eat that part, and give the rest to the birds.

Well, it’s not wasteful as long as some creature gets to eat it.

As far as toasting a heel of bread- if you’re talking about a sliced loaf of bread, no, I don’t eat the heel. But on a long baguette, French or Italian bread, anything like that- yes, sign me up!

I haven't had a decent pizza since I left the NYC metro area. However, when we moved here, I purchased a frozen pizza and stuck it in the freezer. One Saturday, having exhausted my repertoire of culinary not-so-delights, I decided to make it. I doctored it up a bit - threw on some more cheese and Italian seasoning and salt - and shoved it in the oven. It was actually very good, and the crust is the best part.

It could be I've been so long without having had a real pizza that I've forgotten what good pizza tastes like, but I think this Freschetta is pretty darn good. Even the sauce on the pie is good.

I prefer thin crust as well. My trick for cheap frozen pizza is a $3 Jacks, drizzle some extra pizza sauce over the top, and cover with italian blend cheese...not too bad for $4-5 or so.

But no crust is better than the high gluten thin crust at a 'real' pizza joint. The thick crust like most of the pan pizzas and chain joints just makes you feel bloated like you ate a loaf of bread.

• Like 1

Yes, I love the heels of bread. Even store-bought bread, I eat the heels.

I grew up calling it that, so that's the only name for it that I know.

• Like 2

I prefer thin crust as well. My trick for cheap frozen pizza is a $3 Jacks, drizzle some extra pizza sauce over the top, and cover with italian blend cheese...not too bad for $4-5 or so.

But no crust is better than the high gluten thin crust at a 'real' pizza joint. The thick crust like most of the pan pizzas and chain joints just makes you feel bloated like you ate a loaf of bread.

I love 'em anyway. The crispier, the better.

The heel is fantastic toasted. My family won't eat them, so they're all mine! Edited by goose
  • Like 3

Pizza is the most overrated food ever.

If you eat the same bland corporate kind, yes, especially since I’m Italian on mom’s side so I’m biased. Local market is the way to go.

I’m alright with Little Caesars, though.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/cat-sloth-animals-pizza-1801584.gif

So if we were in an eaterie in your town and you were ordering pizza, and I said "...whoa no pizza for me..." what are the best alternatives?

I don't like pizza. It's just cheese on crappy pastry crust, with a few vegetables thrown on top. What is the big deal with this? I don't get it.

Now I know what to get you for Christmas.

tenor.gif?itemid=3447481

A pizza hat?

The best pizza place ever was Ray's at the corner of 11th and 6th Avenue in NYC. I believe it's gone now.

Ray must have gone. I wonder if he was buried in a giant pizza box?

I don't know, but I remember reading that people flew in my your neck of the woods just to get the pizza there. There was a newspaper clipping about it on the wall in the place

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray%27s_Pizza

The best pizza place ever was Ray's at the corner of 11th and 6th Avenue in NYC. I believe it's gone now.

I don't know, but I remember reading that people flew in my your neck of the woods just to get the pizza there. There was a newspaper clipping about it on the wall in the place

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Ray's_Pizza

His formula must have died with him. :angel:

https://en.wikipedia...Ray's_Pizza

There was another place in Jersey City - Roma's.

Rays and Roma's are the two best I ever tasted.

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia...Ray's_Pizza

There was another place in Jersey City - Roma's.

Rays and Roma's are the two best I ever tasted.

Which is better though?

Was is this Roma?

• Like 1