Geddy's all-time favourite albums

Fordgalaxy

This is a decent article except they say Rush was an "experimental" rock band. Just silly.

Read about it here

Geddy Lee, the iconic Canadian musician best known as the lead vocalist and bass player of famed experimental rock band Rush, has created a list of his favourite albums and it makes for one hell of a playlist. With such an influential musician at play, we can expect a truly eclectic choice.

Lee, who joined the band in 1968, has triumphed a unique technique and bass playing style which has inspired a string of musicians from Cliff Burton of Metallica to Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine and everyone in between. The likelihood if your bassist friend has a favourite bassist, then it’s Geddy Lee.

Since releasing their eponymous debut album in 1974, Lee and Rush have gone on to achieve 24 gold records and 14 platinum records with astronomical album sales statistics which place them only third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. When sitting down with The Quietus to detail some of the bands that have inspired him through the years.

Opening up with The Who and their iconic 1971 album Who’s Next?, Lee said: “Many of these records happened to be during the period when I was just beginning to find my way, not just as a musician but beginning to discover what music was all about. Pete Townsend, for me, is arguably the ultimate rock musician.”

He added: “Who’s Next was one of those albums that never left my turntable for years. For me it is the album that shows four great musicians touching their creative peak.”

Lee then divulges some more information on his second pick, the brilliant self-titled debut from Led Zeppelin. It’s largely considered a handsome bronze medal winner for most Zep fans, but for Lee it holds something far dearer, “Led Zeppelin came to Toronto. I remember staying up all night to get tickets. I think I am right in saying that this album had only just been released and we went to see them. We were very young and, as such, a little bit on edge and eager to sample anything. Then I heard ‘Communication Breakdown’ and a trigger went off in my head. That was my punk rock, really. The surge of power was something I had never experienced before.”

Another trip to Toronto would also see the inclusion of Pink Floyd’s Meddle, “That was probably the last Pink Floyd album before they went into their run of classics. Before their really big records. But… again… again… it was their show in Toronto that captivated me and fired the imagination. They opened that show with the whole of Meddle and immediately I could sense the possibilities were immense for this band.”

Quite rightly Joni Mitchell’s legendary record Blue finds a home oin Lee’s list, the musician saying, “Everybody seemed to have this album. It is one of those records that always seemed to hang in the air. The songwriting is sublime and has never dated.”

Including some more predictable great such as Cream and Gensis, Lee did discuss some more recent musicians with Fleet Foxes, Jethro Tull and Radiohead all being name checked. “I love the very approach of Fleet Foxes. They seem to have no desire whatsoever to appear trendy,” he told Quietus. “They are simply natural, organic and are so well rooted in folk and rock that they can take both these extremes anywhere they want.”

• The Who – Who’s Next?
  • Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin
  • Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
  • Genesis – Nursery Crime
  • Jethro Tull – Thick As A Brick
  • Cream – Disraeli Gears
  • Pink Floyd – Meddle
  • Joni Mitchell – Blue
  • Jefferson Airplane – Bless Its Pointed Little Head (Live)
  • Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced?
  • Bjork – Post
  • Yes – The Yes Album
  • Radiohead – OK Computer

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 3

This album list is compiled from the initial 2012 interview Geddy did with The Quietus here.

The difference is that The Quietus interview goes into details as to why each of those albums are favorites of Geddy's from his comments.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

This is a decent article except they say Rush was an "experimental" rock band. Just silly.

Read about it here

Geddy Lee, the iconic Canadian musician best known as the lead vocalist and bass player of famed experimental rock band Rush, has created a list of his favourite albums and it makes for one hell of a playlist. With such an influential musician at play, we can expect a truly eclectic choice.

Lee, who joined the band in 1968, has triumphed a unique technique and bass playing style which has inspired a string of musicians from Cliff Burton of Metallica to Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine and everyone in between. The likelihood if your bassist friend has a favourite bassist, then it’s Geddy Lee.

Since releasing their eponymous debut album in 1974, Lee and Rush have gone on to achieve 24 gold records and 14 platinum records with astronomical album sales statistics which place them only third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. When sitting down with The Quietus to detail some of the bands that have inspired him through the years.

Opening up with The Who and their iconic 1971 album Who’s Next?, Lee said: “Many of these records happened to be during the period when I was just beginning to find my way, not just as a musician but beginning to discover what music was all about. Pete Townsend, for me, is arguably the ultimate rock musician.”

He added: “Who’s Next was one of those albums that never left my turntable for years. For me it is the album that shows four great musicians touching their creative peak.”

Lee then divulges some more information on his second pick, the brilliant self-titled debut from Led Zeppelin. It’s largely considered a handsome bronze medal winner for most Zep fans, but for Lee it holds something far dearer, “Led Zeppelin came to Toronto. I remember staying up all night to get tickets. I think I am right in saying that this album had only just been released and we went to see them. We were very young and, as such, a little bit on edge and eager to sample anything. Then I heard ‘Communication Breakdown’ and a trigger went off in my head. That was my punk rock, really. The surge of power was something I had never experienced before.”

Another trip to Toronto would also see the inclusion of Pink Floyd’s Meddle, “That was probably the last Pink Floyd album before they went into their run of classics. Before their really big records. But… again… again… it was their show in Toronto that captivated me and fired the imagination. They opened that show with the whole of Meddle and immediately I could sense the possibilities were immense for this band.”

Quite rightly Joni Mitchell’s legendary record Blue finds a home oin Lee’s list, the musician saying, “Everybody seemed to have this album. It is one of those records that always seemed to hang in the air. The songwriting is sublime and has never dated.”

Including some more predictable great such as Cream and Gensis, Lee did discuss some more recent musicians with Fleet Foxes, Jethro Tull and Radiohead all being name checked. “I love the very approach of Fleet Foxes. They seem to have no desire whatsoever to appear trendy,” he told Quietus. “They are simply natural, organic and are so well rooted in folk and rock that they can take both these extremes anywhere they want.”

• The Who – Who’s Next?
  • Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin
  • Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
  • Genesis – Nursery Crime
  • Jethro Tull – Thick As A Brick
  • Cream – Disraeli Gears
  • Pink Floyd – Meddle
  • Joni Mitchell – Blue
  • Jefferson Airplane – Bless Its Pointed Little Head (Live)
  • Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced?
  • Bjork – Post
  • Yes – The Yes Album
  • Radiohead – OK Computer

I have almost all of those albums and the two I don't have I have heard. They're each exceptional and I love how wide-ranging Geddy's taste in music is. Everything from Jefferson Airplane to Bjork!

Has Alex ever done one of these? I'd love to see his list! (although i imagine parts of it must be very similar to Geddy's)
  • Like 1

This album list is compiled from the initial 2012 interview Geddy did with The Quietus here.

The difference is that The Quietus interview goes into details as to why each of those albums are favorites of Geddy's from his comments.

2012? What is it with these people republishing the same stuff? Sorry about that.

• Like 1

...Lee did discuss some more recent musicians with Fleet Foxes, Jethro Tull and Radiohead all being name checked....

Umm, what?!

They also said Rush was experimental so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in their reporting.

I love his inclusion of Meddle by Pink Floyd. What a great album.

Alex has referenced David Gilmour's influence a few times. You can hear some of Gilmour's influence in YYZ, especially in the cascading hammer lick that signals the beginning of the spacey Floydian bridge.

• Like 1

Has Alex ever done one of these? I'd love to see his list! (although i imagine parts of it must be very similar to Geddy's)

Alex Lifeson did an interview in the fall of 1996 with Wolf Marshall Guitar One magazine here promoting Test For Echo.

He provides a list of influential albums.

As well, a few years ago Alex did an interview with Music Aficionado here, which is now listed as a member profile.

It has a couple of Alex's recommended album postings (Electric Ladyland and the first Led Zeppelin album) with a story about each.

Edited by RushFanForever