Led Zeppelin vs Pink Floyd

treeduck

Led Zeppelin vs Pink Floyd  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd?

• Led Zeppelin
    • Pink Floyd
    • I don't like either band

Zep's overall body of work is more enjoyable to me, but when Floyd clicks with me, it's amazing. Animals, Dark Side, the Wall, half of Wish...just amazing stuff that Zep doesn't quite approach.

Still, Zep gets the nod, because of the volume of work...in both senses of the word.

• Like 2

Zep

Floyd bore the shit out of me, and sometimes I think they are outright dreadful.

Give me Yes instead.

• Like 2

Zeppelin. I like the Floyd run from Dark Side to the Wall a lot, but Zeppelin as a whole does more for me.

I love "Obscured by Clouds". Always felt it deserved to be included in Floyd's run of great albums. Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 2

Zeppelin. I like the Floyd run from Dark Side to the Wall a lot, but Zeppelin as a whole does more for me.

I love "Obscured by Clouds". Always felt it deserved to be included in Floyd's run of great albums.

Just once I'd like to see an early Floyd album on sale so I could get some of that material into my collection. I'm really curious about it.

I love "Obscured by Clouds". Always felt it deserved to be included in Floyd's run of great albums.

Just once I'd like to see an early Floyd album on sale so I could get some of that material into my collection. I'm really curious about it.

Just listen to that music on YouTube

It's a mood thing.

I grew up when both bands were at their peak and was fortunate to see them in concert many times.

Both bands are magical and still give me goosebumps when I hear certain songs.

Not voting.

• Like 1

Not voting. Both bands too close to my heart.

This, exactly.

I’m going to go off on a rather big tangent right now, so proceed at your own discretion. Sue me, I feel like talking.

I went through a period in the late 1980s when Zeppelin was my outright favorite band; I first got into them in 1986 or ‘87, literally just a half dozen years after Bonham died and the band folded (and as utterly past-tense as a half dozen years seemed at the time, I can now remember a half dozen years ago as if it was last week. But I digress)...as a young drummer, I played along to most of their albums for countless hours, too. Even when I’ve gone for long stretches without listening to them, they are forever ingrained in my conscience.

Pink Floyd is a totally different feel, of course...I’ve loved Dark Side and Wish You Were Here (and Meddle) for ages, and got into most all the rest of their discography since...I have memories, again from my teen years, of opening my step-father’s Dark Side LP and marveling at the poster inside. And as obvious a choice as Dark Side is, as being the best album they ever recorded- I also have some sentimental reasons for loving it now, just in this past year, more than I ever have. My son’s high school marching band’s show this past year was a combination of music from Dark Side and The Wizard of Oz. It was a tremendous show...and unfortunately, at the largest competition of the season, the Buckeye Invitational, my son suffered a horrific knee injury- he fell, but got right back up and continues marching, limping, and playing the whole way through, about a ten-minute set, on a dislocated kneecap, torn ligament, and loose cartilage...needless to say, his marching season was over after that, after he learned the extent of the injury and that he was going to need surgery (and needed four months to recover from it). It was a lot for a 15 year old to have to go through, but he did it with heart, and courage, and aplomb. And he’s doing just fine now.

But I digress, again- the point is, I can’t listen to the stretch from Breathe through The Great Gig in the Sky without getting really emotional. But it’s emotional in a good way.

Those were the songs the marching band played large segments of during their show...imagine hearing those songs played by a 303-piece band! It was really incredible.

As an aside- this was their tour shirt:

Front

73702938-4-F40-45-A2-83-B8-27-E1-F8-E8-CF62.jpg

Back

B35-D565-D-3538-4448-8627-EFE506-E8-C7-BA.jpg

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 6

Floyd bore the shit out of me, and sometimes I think they are outright dreadful.

Yep

And here I was thinking I was alone!

• Like 1

There's one aspect that hasn't been discussed yet about why Led Zep are winning this poll, they're more heavy metal than Floyd. :haz:

Iirc Interstellar Overdrive is pretty metal.

• Like 1

There's one aspect that hasn't been discussed yet about why Led Zep are winning this poll, they're more heavy metal than Floyd. :haz:

Not metal enough...

Not metal enough...

How about One Of These Days?

Not metal enough...

:no:

Not metal enough...

In The Flesh?

Not metal enough...

In The Flesh?

Pink Floyd are a mellow, thoughtful rock band. That's it.

Not metal enough...

In The Flesh?

Fair enough!

Not metal enough...

In The Flesh?

Fair enough!

How about "The Nile Song"?

Led Zeppelin is the epitome of what would become rock and roll and metal to some extent. They were straight forward in your face, but had the soft side of beautiful ballads too.

Pink Floyd were masters of going down different musical rabbit holes where you didn't know where you'd come out. The Sid Barret tragedy affected them down the road.

Styles are distinctively different. Both musical geniuses.

I go with Led Zeppelin cause they were true to each other and never reformed, Meanwhile PF split up.