Your Favourite Dirty Harry Movie  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favourite Dirty Harry Movie

• Dirty Harry (1971)
    • Magnum Force (1973)
    • The Enforcer (1976)
    • Sudden Impact (1983)
    • The Dead Pool (1988)

The Dead Pool, possibly because it was the first one I saw; possibly because my college roommates and I decided to bet on our own dead pool; I took John Candy, I'm sorry to say.

Anyway, harpoon for the win.

Did you folks know that Frank Sinatra was originally on tap to play Harry Callahan, but he broke his wrist before filming?

The movie posters, etc. were already all set to go before the studios had to find a replacement.

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2011/08/Sinatra.jpg

• Like 1

Dirty Harry movies got progressively worse from Dirty Harry to The Dead Pool. The first one is the best, the second one is the second best, the third one is the third best...

It's true, but the all the first three are great.

Dirty Harry: A+

Magnum Force: B+

The Enforcer: B

Sudden Impact: B-

The Dead Pool: D-

Sudden Impact was the only one I saw in the cinema.

The last one didn't even feel like Dirty Harry. The well was dry.

Trivia: Sudden Impact was #7 on highest grossing films of the year behind notables Return of the Jedi and Terms of Endearment. It was released on the same day as Scarface, Yentl, Terms of Endearment, and Christine.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Trivia: Sudden Impact was #7 on highest grossing films of the year behind notables Return of the Jedi and Terms of Endearment. It was released on the same day as Scarface, Yentl, Terms of Endearment, and Christine.

I'd give a C+ or a D to Sudden Impact.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning before that you didn't like it too much. That movie did have the line "Go ahead, make my day" so it's worth something :LOL:

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember you mentioning before that you didn't like it too much. That movie did have the line "Go ahead, make my day" so it's worth something :LOL:

Yeah that's probably the best bit. The story just doesn't work so well and Sondra Locke doesn't help. There's still a few good Dirty Harry action scenes but it's not enough to save the film for me. By the time we got to The Dead Pool the best they could come up with for a new catchphrase for Harry was "You're shit out of luck." That is weak as f**k. Clint always has good lines in his films but that has to be one of the worst.

Yeah that's probably the best bit. The story just doesn't work so well and Sondra Locke doesn't help. There's still a few good Dirty Harry action scenes but it's not enough to save the film for me. By the time we got to The Dead Pool the best they could come up with for a new catchphrase for Harry was "You're shit out of luck." That is weak as f**k. Clint always has good lines in his films but that has to be one of the worst.

Well, I didn't give The Dead Pool a D- for nothing. I'd give it an F but Clint might track me down and shoot me even though he's now 125 years old.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Well, I didn't give The Dead Pool a D- for nothing. I'd give it an F but Clint might track me down and shoot me even though he's now 125 years old.

As long as he doesn't say You're shit out of luck punk before he blows your head off.

I like “The Gaunlet” and “Tightrope”...and put “The Gaunlet” in fourth place ahead of “Sudden Impact”.

“Tightrope” would be in between “Sudden Impact” and “The Dead Pool”.

One of my favs is “Escape From Alcatraz”.

I quite like “Heartbreak Ridge” as well.

• Like 1

I like “The Gaunlet” and “Tightrope”...and put “The Gaunlet” in fourth place ahead of “Sudden Impact”.

“Tightrope” would be in between “Sudden Impact” and “The Dead Pool”.

One of my favs is “Escape From Alcatraz”.

I quite like “Heartbreak Ridge” as well.

What do you think of Clint's westerns?

I'd put The Gauntlet over all the Dirty Harry movies except the first one.

I'd put Tight Rope over all of them except the first two.

I'd put those behind the first 3 but ahead of the last 2.

It’s pretty close between The Gauntlet and Magnum Force. For sure I’d put The Gauntlet over the last 3 Dirty Harry flicks. And it’s an even tighter one between Tight Rope and The Enforcer.

It’s pretty close between The Gauntlet and Magnum Force. For sure I’d put The Gauntlet over the last 3 Dirty Harry flicks. And it’s an even tighter one between Tight Rope and The Enforcer.

No to me Magnum Force is closer to Dirty Harry than The Gauntlet. The Gauntlet has too much of a slapstick feel with that motorcycle gang who look like they belong in Every Which Way But Loose. Magnum Force has the vibe and atmosphere of the first film, with another great score from Lalo Schifrin. You've got Hal Holbrook as Lt. Briggs, David Soul, Robert Urich, Tim Matheson and Kip Niven who are great as the weird rookie vigilante killers and most all Clint is playing Harry Callahan, and he's not in The Gauntlet. And a big bonus, there's no Sondra Locke!

And I prefer The Enforcer over The Gauntlet too, it's closer though but still a clear win.

No to me Magnum Force is closer to Dirty Harry than The Gauntlet. The Gauntlet has too much of a slapstick feel with that motorcycle gang who look like they belong in Every Which Way But Loose. Magnum Force has the vibe and atmosphere of the first film, with another great score from Lalo Schifrin. You've got Hal Holbrook as Lt. Briggs, David Soul, Robert Urich, Tim Matheson and Kip Niven who are great as the weird rookie vigilante killers and most all Clint is playing Harry Callahan, and he's not in The Gauntlet. And a big bonus, there's no Sondra Locke!

And I prefer The Enforcer over The Gauntlet too, it's closer though but still a clear win.

I see that it’s mainly your hatred of Sondra Locke :LOL: . I’m no fan of hers but she didn’t hinder the goodness of The Gauntlet or the greatness of Outlaw Josey Wales

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I see that it’s mainly your hatred of Sondra Locke :LOL: . I’m no fan of hers but she didn’t hinder the goodness of The Gauntlet or the greatness of Outlaw Josey Wales

Nah she's just an extra reason that it can't match the first three Dirty Harry films. Another thing is when I watch it I do almost think it's a Dirty Harry film, in fact for a few years I thought that this was Sudden Impact, obviously I wasn't paying attention, and I always end up disappointed when the character doesn't act as tough as Harry.

Nah she's just an extra reason that it can't match the first three Dirty Harry films. Another thing is when I watch it I do almost think it's a Dirty Harry film, in fact for a few years I thought that this was Sudden Impact, obviously I wasn't paying attention, and I always end up disappointed when the character doesn't act as tough as Harry.

Both are definitely better than Sudden Impact.

Both are definitely better than Sudden Impact.

Yeah for sure. And so is Tightrope. And ALL of them are better than The Dead Pool, even The Rookie is better than The Dead Pool.