The Official Halloween 1978 Appreciation Thread

The Cat 3

220px-Halloween_%281978%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Boo!

Greetings Net Boys and Net Girls!!!

Here it is, a most deserving thread exploring the 1978 classic.

After all these years, it is still one of my all time favourites.

What are your thoughts, your memories of first seeing it, etc.?

(This thread is dedicated to The Earl of Rush)

young-michael-myers-halloween-ftr.jpg

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 7

I saw it on either HBO or Cinemax when I was maybe 9 back in ‘81. Scared the shit out of me that first time. Even when I’d rewatch it again and again a few years later when I was 12, 13, and further on in my teens, it still made me nervous.

Truly one of the greatest horror films of all time. Easily a Top 5 horror flick

• Like 2

It took me a while to appreciate this one, I wasn't all that big on slasher flicks. Psycho and Halloween and Black Christmas are the best of that sub-genre, although Psycho is much more than a slasher flick.
  • Like 2

Great movie. Actually, I still watch it every Halloween night after the trick-or-treaters are gone.

Love the scene where Michael is standing in the yard in between the laundry.

Great theme song.

• Like 1

Great movie. Actually, I still watch it every Halloween night after the trick-or-treaters are gone.

Great theme song.

With the light behind him, almost like a silhouette?

Very creepy and effective.

• Like 1

Great theme song.

With the light behind him, almost like a silhouette?

Very creepy and effective.

Name your top 20 horror flicks of all time.

If I were doing it I'd have to include Hammer ones, Universal, 70's stuff, 80's stuff, Hitchcock etc.

• Like 1

220px-Halloween_%281978%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Boo!

Greetings Net Boys and Net Girls!!!

Here it is, a most deserving thread exploring the 1978 classic.

After all these years, it is still one of my all time favourites.

What are your thoughts, your memories of first seeing it, etc.?

(This thread is dedicated to The Earl of Rush)

young-michael-myers-halloween-ftr.jpg

Hello my friend! WOW! I AM FLATTERED!!! Thank you for the kind words!!!

I've taken some time off the forum, but I and all of my family are well!

Funny buddy, I just watched "Halloween" last week!

IT IS THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!

As a matter of fact just last night I watched the JOHN CARPENTER LIVE on blu-ray!! Was was lucky enough to see John and his band perform five times over a two year span. Three meet and greets too. He was very grumpy and quiet until I told him in San Francisco that I really loved the Anaheim show.

You should have seen John's face. He was just about to sign my big HALLOWEEN III poster signed by Adkins and Wallace. (yes "Halloween" is my number one film of all time and Halloween III is my second favorite! Glad I am strange!! LOL) But looked at me with a double take... He said..."you are traveling to see us perform?"

He was in shock. I said... "Heck yes John! I was on vacation in San Diego. Drove to see you in Anaheim then came back to the Bay Area where I live to see you here in SF and then tomorrow night in Santa Cruz!" Cody Carpenter gave me a high five and their guitar player smiled and said.... "See you tomorrow night!"

Of course all of you music freaks know that Daniel Davies is the son of Dave Davies. The guitar player from The Kinks!!

John Carpenter is my all time film and soundtrack composer too!! His work with Howarth is also stunning, i.e. HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH!

So I was a young teenager at some BBQ and a bunch of us kids watched the TV version of "Halloween" for the first time. Even though it was the edited version the movie fuckking freaked me out!

I instantly fell in love with the movie.

Then years later I finally saw the R rated version and my mind was BLOWN!!!

The greatest movie ever made!!!

I love that last installment of "Halloween." H40. I hope theaters will be open practicing social distancing by October. I can't wait for "HALLOWEEN KILLS" and then next year "HALLOWEEN ENDS!"

The final TRILOGY!!!!

I might have to watch "The Fog" or "The Thing" tonight!!! Thanks Cat! I am going back into another Carpenter Frenzy!!!! LOL!!!

Hmmmmm....

"They Live" or "Prince Of Darkness" perhaps!!

• Like 2

Halloween and Black Christmas are in my top five horror movies, alongside Carrie, Nightbreed and Event Horizon.
  • Like 2

From a budget of $300,000, the film went on to gross $47 million at the US box office. In 2008, takings that would be the equivalent of $150 million, making 'Halloween' one of the most successful independent films of all time.
  • Like 2

From a budget of $300,000, the film went on to gross $47 million at the US box office. In 2008, takings that would be the equivalent of $150 million, making 'Halloween' one of the most successful independent films of all time.

Much to the dismay of Roger Ebert. :P
  • Like 1