Rolling Stones fans: Rank the albums in order of kick assness

treeduck

Looks like I became the World's Newest Stones fan just at the right time... :D-13:

It's always the right time to dig into their discography. A podcast I enjoy, called Political Beats, did a deep dive into their discography a couple months ago. It was 2 episodes. You might enjoy it if you're just starting to explore their lesser known material (I assume like most people you know at least some of their music).

Oh yeah I've quasi-followed their career over the years without really trying because they're so big. Not in any kind of depth though of course purely in a casual music fan kind of way. So I know all their big hits and most of their famous album cuts.

While I'm a frequent critic of the "real fan," tendency to tout the value of more obscure material, with the Stones there are some real gems that you don't hear on the radio. Most of Exile, other than Happy and Tumblin' Dice, and what was once side 2 of Tattoo You, other than Waiting on a Friend, for example. What I love about the Stones is that when I got the Deluxe Editions of Exile and Some Girls, with the unreleased tracks, you realize how great they are. The songs that didn't make it to any albums are better than most bands' greatest hits.

I also recommend you check out Jagger's Wandering Spirit album, and Keith's Talk is Cheap.

Real Stones Fan alert.

;)

To be a true “real fan,” I’d need to also say I DON’T like Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

Peter Frampton did a better version.

If you're considering getting live albums, I suggest staying away from most of the "official" ones and getting the "From the Vault," releases instead. Except Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

If you're considering getting live albums, I suggest staying away from most of the "official" ones and getting the "From the Vault," releases instead. Except Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

What about Some Girls Live in Texas '78?

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

Disclosure, the Stones are in the running for my favorite band of all time. So I can find something to like in all of their albums. But Flashpoint is an example of what I was saying about the "From the Vault" series. Flashpoint is from the Steel Wheels tour (the first tour I saw them on, in Foxboro). I much prefer Live at the Tokyo Dome, which is the From the Vault release for that tour.

What about the From the Vault Hampton Coliseum 1981?

Similarly, better than the official release, Still Life.

I'll tell you what name me your top 5 Stones live albums.

The Brussels Affair

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

The Marquee Club

LA Forum

Hampton Coliseum

• Like 1

I just had a thought.

What's bothered me over the years is that when The Beatles and The Rolling Stones released singles in the 60's, they weren't available on studio albums.

An individual had to buy The Beatles /1962–1966 (Red Album) and The Beatles / 1967–1970 (Blue Album) and/or The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964–1971 and More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies).

I wish they would've included the singles on the albums that were recorded around the same time.

Nowadays, a consumer has the option to buy two versions on album by a musical acts.

The first is the album with the songs that were intended to be released.

The second is the deluxe version album with additional songs.

Here's an irony. Tom Petty has mentioned in interviews about not being a fan of 'greatest hits' albums. His take was why would anyone want to bother including an unreleased new song with ones that people are already familiar with?

Yet his Greatest Hits album is the biggest selling recording of his discography.

Edited by RushFanForever

The-Rolling-Stones-in-Mono.jpg

Working my way through the beautiful sounding, "The Rolling Stones in Mono" box set.

The set covers the period of 1963 - 1969 and it is an impressive 15 disc set.

I'm really taking my time and absorbing it with no other distractions.

• Like 3

Rolling Stones Slane Castle Ireland 2007...

Flew from NYC to IRE to see The Mighty Rolling Stones at Slane Castle

I was up front and personal with Mick and Keith

I saw The Stones 13 shows on the A Bigger Bang tour 2005-7

49819497406_75a2c4f43d_z.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

Which is the best Stones concert you've ever been to?

• Like 1

Which is the best Stones concert you've ever been to?

Some Girls tour 1978 at a small venue in NJ ( Capitol Theatre ). My buddy won tickets from at NY radio show and asked me to go. KICK ASS show.

Bridges to Babylon tour 1997 ( The Pretenders opened ) at Giants Stadium, NJ. I got home the next day at 7am.

• Like 2

I watched an interview with Mick about the new song with this Aussie guy and it was interesting. He talked about the The Beatles, touring and mentioned Led Zep and Pink Floyd. He also talked about writing the new song and also mentioned that they've written some other new songs and have "some good new stuff". As far as a new album he said it's been so long since the last one that it has to be good, in fact not just a good album but a great one but "don't hold your breath".
  • Like 1

I watched an interview with Mick about the new song with this Aussie guy and it was interesting. He talked about the The Beatles, touring and mentioned Led Zep and Pink Floyd. He also talked about writing the new song and also mentioned that they've written some other new songs and have "some good new stuff". As far as a new album he said it's been so long since the last one that it has to be good, in fact not just a good album but a great one but "don't hold your breath".

I just watched this interview. Jagger makes a very good point regarding the "Beatles vs. Stones debate." Anyway, it's all great music, lucky us.

• Like 3

Some Girls tour 1978 at a small venue in NJ ( Capitol Theatre ). My buddy won tickets from at NY radio show and asked me to go. KICK ASS show.

I have a great sounding soundboard boot from that show.

I just found a boot from the 1981 show I saw in Syracuse.

• Like 2

I just watched this interview. Jagger makes a very good point regarding the "Beatles vs. Stones debate." Anyway, it's all great music, lucky us.

Yeah it's pretty obvious and true. And yes lucky us.

• Like 1

Just gave Get Your Ya Ya's Out another spin. It is hands down one of the best live albums ever - by anyone. Captures the Stones at their best. As someone mentioned earlier, Midnight Rambler is legendary on this lp. The new song and video are great. I mean come on these guys are approaching 80! Unbelievable.
  • Like 2

Just gave Get Your Ya Ya's Out another spin. It is hands down one of the best live albums ever - by anyone. Captures the Stones at their best. As someone mentioned earlier, Midnight Rambler is legendary on this lp. The new song and video are great. I mean come on these guys are approaching 80! Unbelievable.

Close. They're right before their prime. The Brussels Affair, from the Goats Head Soup tour, is the Stones with their best material available to them.

It is a great live album though.

• Like 1

Here's some Stones trivia, which this may have gotten mentioned already on here.

Regarding the song 'Anybody Seen My Baby'; one of Keith Richard's daughters' noticed that the chorus melody was similar to 'Constant Craving' by k.d. lang. This was around the time of being released.

To avoid a possible plagiarism lawsuit, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards provided co-writing credits to k.d. lang and Ben Mink (yes the same individual that did the violin solo on 'Losing It').

The above is mentioned here and here in the last paragraph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXqPjx94YMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BinwuzZVjnE

Edited by RushFanForever