Rolling Stones fans: Rank the albums in order of kick assness

treeduck

'Winning Ugly' from Dirty Work was a top 10 hit single in the US, and even in Canada apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJdpheDs4A

I'm sure the hockey teams probably put it to use.

It was? I remember One Hit To The Body and Harlem Shuffle getting some good video and radio rotation. I don't recall that happening with Winning Ugly.

'Winning Ugly' from Dirty Work was a top 10 hit single in the US, and even in Canada apparently.

It was? I remember One Hit To The Body and Harlem Shuffle getting some good video and radio rotation. I don't recall that happening with Winning Ugly.

I think I'm gonna love this album! :haz: :givebeer:

If you look at the album cover and try to read something into it, it appears that Keith is now in control and Mick has been pushed over to the side. Charlie is fed up with the squabbling and doesn't want to get involved, Bill is looking at the camera pleading to be rescued from the situation and Ronnie is oblivious to it all and is just trying to strike a better pose than the last photo session.

I've always liked Dirty Work. The first Stones album I liked in fact

Let's see your rankings Mr. Na...

I'm not the biggest Stones fan in this world, I only know 7 of their albums good enough :)

• Like 1

Mick Jagger had minimal input on Dirty Work.

He was more concerned with establishing himself as a solo artist with promoting his first album She's The Boss the year before.

Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood were the ones who salvaged Dirty Work, which is why Wood has multiple co-writing credits more than usual.

In this interview below to promote the album, they appear disjointed from one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKqjcCP44c

Edited by RushFanForever

My favourite band of all time. I have seen them many times since the mid 70's including the infamous concert for the blind in Oshawa, part of Keith's settlement for heroin possession in Toronto. My favourite album is Exile On Main Street. After that it is tough. So many masterpieces. At the next level I would include: Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll. I am a huge fan of the Mick Taylor era obviously. Plus during this era they were at their height of their performance. From Madison Square Gardens shows captured in one of the best live lp's ever Get Yer Ya ya's Out to the Altamount disaster and the crazy, debauchery of those late 60's / early 70's tours, they epitomized Rock and Roll.

You seem like an expert, this is the list of what I think I'll be getting, but is this enough...?

The Rolling Stones (UK) / England's Newest Hit Makers (US) (1964)

12 X 5 (US) (1964)

The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK) / The Rolling Stones, Now! (US) (1965)

Out of Our Heads (US) / Out of Our Heads (UK) (1965)

December's Children (And Everybody's) (US) (1965)

Aftermath (UK) / Aftermath (US) (1966)

Between the Buttons (UK) / Between the Buttons (US) (1967)

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

Beggars Banquet (1968)

Let It Bleed (1969)

Sticky Fingers (1971)

Exile on Main St. (1972)

Goats Head Soup (1973)

It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)

Black and Blue (1976)

Some Girls (1978)

Emotional Rescue (1980)

Tattoo You (1981)

Undercover (1983)

Dirty Work (1986)

Steel Wheels (1989)

Voodoo Lounge (1994)

Bridges to Babylon (1997)

A Bigger Bang (2005)

Blue & Lonesome (2016)

Flowers (1967)

Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (1969)

Hot Rocks 1964–1971 (1971)

Metamorphosis (1975)

Honk (2019)

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (1970)

Some Girls: Live in Texas '78

Flashpoint - (1991)

That is covering them pretty well I would say!

• Like 1

My favourite band of all time. I have seen them many times since the mid 70's including the infamous concert for the blind in Oshawa, part of Keith's settlement for heroin possession in Toronto. My favourite album is Exile On Main Street. After that it is tough. So many masterpieces. At the next level I would include: Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll. I am a huge fan of the Mick Taylor era obviously. Plus during this era they were at their height of their performance. From Madison Square Gardens shows captured in one of the best live lp's ever Get Yer Ya ya's Out to the Altamount disaster and the crazy, debauchery of those late 60's / early 70's tours, they epitomized Rock and Roll.

You seem like an expert, this is the list of what I think I'll be getting, but is this enough...?

The Rolling Stones (UK) / England's Newest Hit Makers (US) (1964)

12 X 5 (US) (1964)

The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK) / The Rolling Stones, Now! (US) (1965)

Out of Our Heads (US) / Out of Our Heads (UK) (1965)

December's Children (And Everybody's) (US) (1965)

Aftermath (UK) / Aftermath (US) (1966)

Between the Buttons (UK) / Between the Buttons (US) (1967)

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

Beggars Banquet (1968)

Let It Bleed (1969)

Sticky Fingers (1971)

Exile on Main St. (1972)

Goats Head Soup (1973)

It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)

Black and Blue (1976)

Some Girls (1978)

Emotional Rescue (1980)

Tattoo You (1981)

Undercover (1983)

Dirty Work (1986)

Steel Wheels (1989)

Voodoo Lounge (1994)

Bridges to Babylon (1997)

A Bigger Bang (2005)

Blue & Lonesome (2016)

Flowers (1967)

Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (1969)

Hot Rocks 1964–1971 (1971)

Metamorphosis (1975)

Honk (2019)

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (1970)

Some Girls: Live in Texas '78

Flashpoint - (1991)

That is covering them pretty well I would say!

Aye! :goodone:

If you're considering getting live albums, I suggest staying away from most of the "official" ones and getting the "From the Vault," releases instead. Except Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

Ya-Ya's is worth it for 'Midnight Rambler" alone. A live track that puts the studio version to shame.

• Like 3

If you're considering getting live albums, I suggest staying away from most of the "official" ones and getting the "From the Vault," releases instead. Except Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

What about Some Girls Live in Texas '78?

That's a good one.

• Like 1

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

It is good, yes (IMO)...it is from a much later point in time than Ya Ya’s (roughly 20 years later)- but yes, I enjoy it. I think you would too.

That's a good one.

Yes, definitely, absolutely.

I didn’t realize that the Stones’ first eleven albums (everything prior to Beggars Banquet) were all recorded/released in a span of only four years. That’s remarkable.

And only one of them was live.

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

Disclosure, the Stones are in the running for my favorite band of all time. So I can find something to like in all of their albums. But Flashpoint is an example of what I was saying about the "From the Vault" series. Flashpoint is from the Steel Wheels tour (the first tour I saw them on, in Foxboro). I much prefer Live at the Tokyo Dome, which is the From the Vault release for that tour.

• Like 3

My wife and I saw the Stones on the 40 Licks tour at the Garden. We bought floor seats the day of the show, when they release tickets that had been held back. After Ryan Adams' set, they removed two rows right behind us, and put in a small satellite stage on the floor about 20 yards away from us. The Stones played a short acoustic set on that stage. When they left before the encore, the rows right behind us were what they had removed to usher them out. I had my hand outstretched as they went by. My hand was less than a foot from Jagger. He had his arms tucked in tight to his body and security made sure I (or people in my position) couldn't grab him (not that I would have).

I've seen them a few times. Every show was awesome. I was beside myself that I missed the show this past summer in Foxboro.

• Like 2

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

Disclosure, the Stones are in the running for my favorite band of all time. So I can find something to like in all of their albums. But Flashpoint is an example of what I was saying about the "From the Vault" series. Flashpoint is from the Steel Wheels tour (the first tour I saw them on, in Foxboro). I much prefer Live at the Tokyo Dome, which is the From the Vault release for that tour.

My first Stones show was also on the Steel Wheels tour. :cheers:

I will say I don’t imagine I’d pay what I’m sure they’re charging to see them live today.

But I don’t know...maybe.

• Like 2

Is Flashpoint good?

Flashpoint was given two stars out of five on allmusic.com

One of the strangest things on the live album is that when the band finishes performing 'Factory Girl', Keith Richards says 'alright, let's cut out the crap, let's go'. before he starts performing his vocal song 'Can't Be Seen'.

Then at the end of 'Can't Be Seen', Keith says 'what are you doing out here?' to Eric Clapton, who joins the band for 'Little Red Rooster'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhYVj4Qgjio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2x7h0tmxYs

Those strange words from Keith are enough to create a 'flashpoint'.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

That's a good one.

Is Flashpoint good?

What about the From the Vault Hampton Coliseum 1981?