Isolated Alex guitar.... absolutely fantastic insight into his skill

Huge Ackman

I think I captured this link from BookFace but apologize if it has been posted here.

The vid descsription tells it all.... Isolated Alex guitar scanned from the wireless amp signal at a live show.... gives me goosebumps to listen to this; so simplified and pure but no less exciting and entertaining, at least that's how I feel.... Rock on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTIfYDto3nc

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 2

I think I captured this link from BookFace but apologize if it has been posted here.

The vid descsription tells it all.... Isolated Alex guitar scanned from the wireless amp signal at a live show.... gives me goosebumps to listen to this; so simplified and pure but no less exciting and entertaining, at least that's how I feel.... Rock on!

http://www.youtube....h?v=DTIfYDto3nc

EDIT:

Never mind! One letter extra.... NO "s" behind http

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 2

Yeah it seems the main talent he has, the one that makes him the great Alex Lifeson of Rush, is in the choosing of the sound he gets when it been processed through the machines

Like theres not many who can get such a variation of unique sounds, Hemispheres Permanent waves etc every album a distinct and truly Rush noise, can imagine is first thing he does really, establishes the sound first then the actual music just trips off his fingers

Nice post, i recall hearing something similar for La Villa, like it seemed a bit of a mess and nothing too special if you didnt know what it was but, through the machine we know how majestic it is

I'm skeptical.

Limelight is totally out of tune. The low E and I think the G are out. Alex's guitar tech wouldn't have ever handed that instrument to him like that.

Also, the playing is sloppy. Lots of slipped strings, pacing issues.

Verdict: I say hoax.

(But I didn't listen to the whole recording.)

I hope I'm right.

• Like 1

Doesn't sound horrifically out of tune to me. Once the effects and volume are added you'd never tell.

Alex playing in concert was always gloriously sloppy to my ears. Added a bit more humanity to the sound when the other two could be unerringly precise.

Also the recording is probably from a rough tape that's nearly 30 years old, so unlikely to sound pristine.

Edited by Lurkst

I'm skeptical.

Limelight is totally out of tune. The low E and I think the G are out. Alex's guitar tech wouldn't have ever handed that instrument to him like that.

Also, the playing is sloppy. Lots of slipped strings, pacing issues.

Verdict: I say hoax.

(But I didn't listen to the whole recording.)

I hope I'm right.

Me too, but I don't think you are.

Cool nice find!! :)

I have heard a few of these from MitA's page and Big Al at times does sound a bit warbly, but I think he just grabs the guitar neck so hard that he temporarily de-tunes a string or two....

But yeah, add lot's of machines and effects - voila!

:D

• Like 2

Doesn't sound horrifically out of tune to me. Once the effects and volume are added you'd never tell.

Alex playing in concert was always gloriously sloppy to my ears. Added a bit more humanity to the sound when the other two could be unerringly precise.

Also the recording is probably from a rough tape that's nearly 30 years old, so unlikely to sound pristine.

Also, sometimes Lerxst would "f**k up" on purpose. Wrong chords, slurred notes, But it would still fit the song and sound good.

This has to be legit. From the Limelight solo into Freewill, it sounds on point.

Could be that he was having a bad night, getting started with the first half of Limelight.

I tried yesterday to grab the audio so that I could process it with Amplitube, but no matter what "convert youtube video to mp3" site I used, they all timed-out.

Alex has a series of "how to play" videos on YouTube in which he teaches certain songs (Spirit, Limelight and Tom Sawyer that I know of) by using a clean sound for the instruction. Based on those videos (and he has sloppy bits in those that would be masked with distortion), this certainly sounds like him playing.

Okay, it's not a hoax.

I listened to Xanadu and Tom Sawyer and the freaky phrasing in the solo of the latter is definitely Alex. Not many people can play like that.

I withdraw my earlier comment.

(bows, leaves room quietly)

• Like 3

Okay, it's not a hoax.

I listened to Xanadu and Tom Sawyer and the freaky phrasing in the solo of the latter is definitely Alex. Not many people can play like that.

I withdraw my earlier comment.

(bows, leaves room quietly)

Rush07Shoreline003.jpg

He may be resting his hand on the bridge of the guitar a little too heavily to mute strings at times (assuming it's a floating bridge he's using). That would make the guitar sound like it's out of tune when it's not.

Also...the locking nut doesn't guarantee that the guitar won't go out of tune if he's using his tremelo arm heavily. It may be some of that also.

It's funny, but I mention above that Alex has a video in which he teaches how to play Limelight and he does so with a relatively clean sound. When he's finished teaching the song, he says (tongue in cheek) "now immediately go re-tune your guitar".

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTIfYDto3nc

Sounds like Rush Shreds. StSanders, you devil, you!