1972 - THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 18 - Which album from this list of 1972 releases do you consider to be the best?

treeduck

1972 THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 18  

26 members have voted

1. 1. (for the 3rd time) Which 1972 platter is the plateau for you from this list of albums from that year?

• Deep Purple - Machine Head
    • Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
    • Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
    • Yes - Close to the Edge
    • David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    • The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
    • Genesis - Foxtrot
    • Gentle Giant - Octopus
    • Alice Cooper - School's Out
    • Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
    • Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees
    • Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
    • Gentle Giant - Three Friends
    • Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
    • Budgie - Squawk
    • ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud
    • Chick Corea - Return to Forever
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
    • Humble Pie - Smokin'
    • Status Quo - Piledriver
    • Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
    • Slade - Slayed?
    • Joe Walsh - Barnstorm
    • Weather Report - I Sing the Body Electric
    • Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday
    • Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
    • Chicago - Chicago V
    • Elton John - Honky Château
    • Amon Düül II - Wolf City
    • The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
    • Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido
    • Santana - Caravanserai
    • Roxy Music - Roxy Music
    • The Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach
    • Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
    • Wishbone Ash - Argus
    • T. Rex - The Slider
    • Miles Davis - On the Corner
    • Lou Reed - Transformer
    • Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond

Another year another thread...another new slightly different-worded poll question...

Let me just stop right there...I've typed that first line three times now after two aborted attempts at this thread. I'm starting to think it's cursed. I get halfway through and somehow I click something wrong and my poll gets wiped out completely. I hope it doesn't happen again because I'm getting pissed off now! If I have to type all these albums out again I may never listen to them the same way ever again!

OK 1972 take 3...lets see if I can get beyond Captain Beyond this time...

I made it...

• Like 1

I abstain from voting in any of these polls for the years 1971-1974. I may have to abstain from 1976-1978 as well. As for 75, well that'll be Queen A Night At The Opera, the only year of this decade where I'm positively certain what my favorite non-Rush album is.
  • Like 1

I abstain from voting in any of these polls for the years 1971-1974. I may have to abstain from 1976-1978 as well. As for 75, well that'll be Queen A Night At The Opera, the only year of this decade where I'm positively certain what my favorite non-Rush album is.

What about all the Queen albums??

• Like 1

What about all the Queen albums??

Queen I came out in 73, the same year as Quadrophenia and Dark Side Of The Moon, neither of which I can honestly say for certain I like less than each other or Queen I.

Queen II (which I prefer marginally to Sheer Hear Attack) came out in 74, the same year as The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Red, which leads to the same impasse as above

A Day At The Races came out in 76, same year as Station To Station and A Trick Of The Tail, just to name a couple huge favorites

News Of The World in 77, same year as Animals. My favorite Floyd album (which is one of my favorite prog albums) vs. my 3rd favorite Queen album...how can I decide?

Jazz came out in 78, same year as Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Stained Class, both of which I prefer to Jazz but neither of which I'm sure I could rank over the other

If it weren't for ANATO being my number 1 album of all time, I'm sure 75 would be impossible for my to rank as well. For the most part the 70s are just too good. I want it all.

• Like 2

Platter for the Plateau is all about PROG for me in 72...

Masterpieces from Yes, Tull, ELP, Gentle Giant, Genesis... (and excellent releases from Deep Purple and Allmans)

Close to the Edge!

Yeah.

I went with Ziggy because I saw Bowie perform Ziggy at Radio City Feb 1973

I went with Vol 4 because I saw Balck Sabbath tour supporting Vol4 at Asbury Park Convention Center July 1972

I went with Thick as a Brick because I saw Jethro Tull perform Thick at MSG Nov 1972

I went with Mott the Hopple because I saw Mott at Radio City Oct 1973

I went with Close to the Edge because I would listen to side 1 while going to sleep.

I went with Exile because it's a masterpiece of music

• Like 3