1987 - THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 8 - Which album from this list of 1987 releases do you consider to be the best?

treeduck

1987 THE YEAR - Part 8  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these 1987 albums is the best for you out of this list of 40?

• Overkill - Taking Over
    • Def Leppard - Hysteria
    • Dokken - Back For the Attack
    • Triumph - Surveillance
    • KISS - Crazy Nights
    • Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave
    • Dio - Dream Evil
    • Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol
    • Yes - Big Generator
    • Deep Purple - The House of Blue Light
    • Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
    • Motorhead - Rock 'N' Roll
    • Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
    • U2 - The Joshua Tree
    • King Diamond - Abigail
    • Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    • Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
    • Testament - The Legacy
    • Marillion - Clutching at Straws
    • Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    • Anthrax - Among the Living
    • Voivod - Killing Technology
    • Racer X - Second Heat
    • Death - Scream Bloody Gore
    • Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
    • Motley Crue - Girls, Girls, Girls
    • Pat Metheny Group - Still Life Talking
    • Allan Holdsworth - Sand
    • Whitesnake - 1987
    • Tony MacAlpine - Maximum Security
    • Gary Moore - Wild Frontier
    • Public Image Ltd - Happy
    • Night Ranger - Big Life
    • Ace Frehley - Frehley's Comet
    • TNT - Tell No Tales
    • Malice - License to Kill
    • Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech - Dr. Hee
    • Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
    • Heart - Bad Animals
    • Al Di Meola Project - Tirami Su

Appetite is/was one of the most important albums of the entire decade, setting the tone for 'acceptable' radio for decades that followed. Truly revolutionary album for the music industry.

There's a lot of awesome albums on this list. Maybe the hardest year of the decade.

• Like 1

Finally, we`re getting to the years that I started to buy some of these records around the time they were released :dweez: Has to be Surfing With The Alien! Still blowing my mind after 33 years. Appetite isn`t my favourite GNR record but sure, it made it big impact then and it`s still great today.

So many really great records here (Triumph, Motorhead, Gary Moore, Anthrax!), but while I might wish I had some well-considered contrarian view, it's got to be Appetite for Destruction.

GnR gets downgraded in my recollection because of what an asshat Axl turned out to be, but that album is everything you want in hard rock.

Between Anthrax and U2 for me. Seeing as Anthrax are consistently underrated, I gave it to them.
  • Like 1

In 1987, I saw Rush 4 times, Pink Floyd, Yes, Aerosmith (front row), Guns and Roses (front row; featuring a near riot and the worst. live. sound. ever. Axl sounded like a frog!) Whitesnake twice, Heart (front row), Robert Plant (front row), Def Leppard (front row) among many others - my girlfriend's grandmother was a sponsor for a large concert venue near my hometown (Saratoga Perf Art Center) and we got comped front row seats for any show she didn't want (in other words, every rock show!)

As for the albums - lots of those I would have picked at the time, but didn't age well for me or weren't my favorites by those artists, so they may have been good, but a bit of a letdown (Pink Fraud!) No denying Appetite - huge influence, packed with good songs. However, I was well on my way to prog-snobdom - firmly immersed in classic Yes, Crimson, Kansas, Rush, Genesis. I was beginning to move out of my metal-phase of Maiden, Metallica, etc. So, my personal favorite from this year would be Marillion Clutching at Straws.

Whitesnake in a landslide for me.

That album is a monster to this day.

I loved The Joshua Tree as well.....great record (but not my fav from them.....that came in 1991).

Lot’s of good music here. GNR, Def Leppard makes their triumphant return. But Whitesnake's record is so freaking good. Just so damn good to this very day.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

After a dismal '85 and '86, '87 saw rock come back with a vengeance.

Joshua Tree, Hysteria, Girls Girls Girls...great comeback album like Permanent Vacation, Crest of a Knave, Whitesnake.

But Appetite for Destruction changed everything. It put a stake in the heart of the 80s glam-metal vampire and brought straight ahead heavy guitar tone back to the mainstream. Fashion-wise, it opened the door for Grunge.

The easy winner, and I don't even like GnR.

• Like 4