The Fountain Of Lamneth is a hotly debated song. A lot of people believe that it was played live, but we just don’t have any conclusive proof. I would like to believe that it was, but we only have one surviving set list and bootleg, and some possible footage and none of them lists the song. Edited by TheGhostRider

The Fountain Of Lamneth is a hotly debated song. A lot of people believe that it was played live, but we just don’t have any conclusive proof. I would like to believe that it was, but we only have one surviving set list and bootleg, and some possible footage and none of them lists the song.

Almost seems like that tour was wiped from the consciousness of most people that were involved.

What's funny is there are a couple of reviews of shows in the book that mention lyrics from "Fountain." But knowing how seriously the press took Rush at the time, it wouldn't shock me if the reviewer just stuck those lyrics/song titles in the article at random and didn't bother to double-check or figure out which songs they did or didn't play at the show.
  • Like 1

Also I just noticed this after coming back to this thread But why is Feedback included? I get it's an album they released but none of those songs are Rush songs. Edited by TheGhostRider

What's funny is there are a couple of reviews of shows in the book that mention lyrics from "Fountain." But knowing how seriously the press took Rush at the time, it wouldn't shock me if the reviewer just stuck those lyrics/song titles in the article at random and didn't bother to double-check or figure out which songs they did or didn't play at the show.

Likely.

RUSH

Take A Friend

FLY BY NIGHT

Making Memories

Rivendell

CARESS OF STEEL

I Think I’m Going Bald

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

Madrigal

HEMISPHERES

Every song from this album has been played live.

PERMANENT WAVES

Different Strings

MOVING PICTURES

Every song from this album has been played live

SIGNALS

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE

POWER WINDOWS

Emotion Detector

HOLD YOUR FIRE

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO

Chain Lightning

Anagram (For Mongo)

Red Tide

Hand Over Fistu

Available Light

ROLL THE BONES

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Neurotica

COUNTERPARTS

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

The Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

TEST FOR ECHO

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOR TRAILS

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

FEEDBACK

For What It’s Worth

Mr. Soul

Seven And Seven Is

Shapes Of Things

SNAKES AND ARROWS

The Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

CLOCKWORK ANGELS

BU2B2

Grand Total: 44

Please let me know if this list must be edited.

It kills me they never played "Alien Shore" live. I did hear a rumor that they played it a few times on the East Coast but then cut it. Probably not true right East Coasters?

• Like 2

Neil said in a pre-tour interview (I think it was the Time Machine tour?) in one of the magazines that he was interested in performing Hand Over Fist live but I guess it didn't make it past rehearsals

I read that too. Might actually have been the R40 tour.

Great song, but I'm not sure how it would have come across live.

Neil said in a pre-tour interview (I think it was the Time Machine tour?) in one of the magazines that he was interested in performing Hand Over Fist live but I guess it didn't make it past rehearsals

I read that too. Might actually have been the R40 tour.

Great song, but I'm not sure how it would have come across live.

Wow! I would have loved watching Neil playing on that song live!

• Like 2

RUSH

Take A Friend

FLY BY NIGHT

Making Memories

Rivendell

CARESS OF STEEL

I Think I’m Going Bald

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

Madrigal

HEMISPHERES

Every song from this album has been played live.

PERMANENT WAVES

Different Strings

MOVING PICTURES

SIGNALS

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE

POWER WINDOWS

Emotion Detector

HOLD YOUR FIRE

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO

Chain Lightning

Anagram (For Mongo)

Red Tide

Hand Over Fistu

Available Light

ROLL THE BONES

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Neurotica

COUNTERPARTS

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

The Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

TEST FOR ECHO

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOR TRAILS

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

FEEDBACK

For What It’s Worth

Mr. Soul

Seven And Seven Is

Shapes Of Things

SNAKES AND ARROWS

The Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

CLOCKWORK ANGELS

BU2B2

Grand Total: 44

Please let me know if this list must be edited.

It kills me they never played "Alien Shore" live. I did hear a rumor that they played it a few times on the East Coast but then cut it. Probably not true right East Coasters?

If they did it was during soundcheck. Saw four shows on that tour and it's not on any of the bootlegs I have from that tour. I believe they opened in Florida that year and it wasn't part of the first few shows.

RUSHHEAD666 "It kills me they never played "Alien Shore" live. I did hear a rumor that they played it a few times on the East Coast but then cut it. Probably not true right East Coasters?

Funny, I saw this and thought "Oh yes they did!" Then looked around and I was thinking of Far Cry. Go figure :codger:

It has been nice to see you posting again on TRF. You were part of the reason I saw a lively community of Rush fanatics and felt at home. You often made me chuckle. I gather after the "News" and your own business issues, you departed. But isn't this the best community to be with? As far as Rush fans go. Hope all is well with you :)

Cheers!

I always wanted "Chain Lightning" and "Available Light" live too.

Impossible to see how Alex would've played the backwards solo on Chain Lightning live.

Even more impossible is the idea of 2010s-era Geddy hitting those high notes in Available Light.

Edited by Weatherman

Impossible to see how Alex would've played the backwards solo on Chain Lightning live.

He did "play" the backwards solo in Mystic Rhythms live.

Edited by Lurkst

He did "play" the backwards solo in Mystic Rhythms live.

:yes:

On 4/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, Claude_verret said:

The Camera Eye was a glaring song that disappeared in their live show for 27 years. I remember reading about and hearing fans wanting Rush to play this song as far back as the RTB tour. I remember also reading that the band was aware of this but they just didn't want to bring it back. No idea of it was all of them or certain individual(s) that kiboshed it over the years until they brought it back for the Time Machine tour.

I always found that strange.  TCE is by far the weakest song on MP, as far as I'm concerned.  (Which isn't saying much, considering how great the rest of the album is.)  It has some great playing in it and some interesting individual parts, but as a whole I find it pretty forgettable.  The synthesizer sounds have aged terribly.  I could never understand why there was so much demand for it to be played live, there are dozens of songs I would rather have heard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I always found that strange. ..  The synthesizer sounds have aged terribly.  

I find this strange. Of all the keyboard  parts Geddy laid down in the 80s I's say the mood-setting Camera Eye synth is among the best-aged

3 hours ago, goose said:

I find this strange. Of all the keyboard  parts Geddy laid down in the 80s I's say the mood-setting Camera Eye synth is among the best-aged

The ascending "weeew, weeew, weeew, weeeeeeeeeeeew" that opens the song always makes me cringe.  It doesn't even sound like it would have been cool in 1981...