By my count there is audio evidence of 137 different songs played live from 1974-2015. In that count I include Wipe Out and Paint It Black but not that little country ditty that Alex would play occasionally through the years. This does not include I Think I'm Going Bald or any parts of TFOL. Those were likely played but there is no circulating recordings that I'm aware of, only a pretty bogus rumour of a January 1976 Massey Hall recording containing parts of TFOL and Making Memories.

I suppose it's also possible that Take A Friend/Can't Fight It and Not Fade Away were also played live but again, no evidence.

Not Fade Away and Can’t Fight It WERE definitely played live, I think Alex said so in an interview.

Ok, so should I just list COS as “Every song from this album has been played live”? Does anyone know If “Take A Friend” Was ever played?

There is no hard evidence that any parts of "The Fountain" were ever played. In the book, no one knew definitively but everyone in the crew said it was unlikely.

• Like 1

Ok, so should I just list COS as “Every song from this album has been played live”? Does anyone know If “Take A Friend” Was ever played?

There is no hard evidence that any parts of "The Fountain" were ever played. In the book, no one knew definitively but everyone in the crew said it was unlikely.

Alright. So I’ll just take off ITIGB.

Edited by LerxstDash2112

Is broons bane the only original song they played that was never recorded in a studio?

I consider it a song maybe no one else does though???

It is totally a song.

I remember reading that this song was recorded in the studio - it could very well be the version on ESL. But I need to find that blurb first. Anyone else read that???

• Like 1

The Loser

I've Been Running

Garden Road

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road and Fancy Dancer were definitely played live.

I'd argue that The Loser and I've Been Running also. Early on before the band recorded anything, if they had the songs they must've been played live. Can't prove it though.

AHA!

The live album Exit…Stage Left includes “Broon’s Bane,” which serves as an intro to “The Trees.” Where did that come from?

I wrote that when I was practicing classical guitar during the year I was studying, so there are a lot of influences from the lute pieces that I learned. I even copped some of the phrasing from traditional classical pieces. It was a good exercise for me, because it was a real stretch and demanding to play. You’ve got to push yourself. I think I recorded it in a studio at some point, so “Broon’s Bane” might exist on a quarter-inch tape somewhere. We incorporated it into the set to give Neil a bit of a break.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/alex-lifeson-acoustic-chronicles

• Like 3

AHA!

The live album Exit…Stage Left includes “Broon’s Bane,” which serves as an intro to “The Trees.” Where did that come from?

I wrote that when I was practicing classical guitar during the year I was studying, so there are a lot of influences from the lute pieces that I learned. I even copped some of the phrasing from traditional classical pieces. It was a good exercise for me, because it was a real stretch and demanding to play. You’ve got to push yourself. I think I recorded it in a studio at some point, so “Broon’s Bane” might exist on a quarter-inch tape somewhere. We incorporated it into the set to give Neil a bit of a break.

https://www.guitarpl...stic-chronicles

thanks for looking that up. i was thinking more along the lines of recorded in a studio and released. cool to read alexs perspective though.

• Like 1

but there was a poster here that has seen every tour since the beginning and he says that parts of Lamneth were played - not all together but seperate tracks.

I also posted an old article from a Michigan paper article from November '75 - and it suggested Panacea and No one at the Bridge iirc, were played that night. No evidence but my money is that parts of Lamneth were played. Sorry I can't recall the posters name.

• Like 1

I can't believe that Different Strings was never played live.

I've been playing that piece on guitar for twenty years, and it's beautiful. Alex himself said that he loves playing it, so I assumed it was in a setlist at some point.

The Loser

I've Been Running

Garden Road

Fancy Dancer

Garden Road and Fancy Dancer were definitely played live.

I'd argue that The Loser and I've Been Running also. Early on before the band recorded anything, if they had the songs they must've been played live. Can't prove it though.

I'm pretty sure that list was in response to the following question, "Is broons bane the only original song they played that was never recorded in a studio?"

Is there any reason they chose Faithless over Bravest Face or Good News First? Because of those 3 I like Faithless the least

That's why they chose it.

• Like 1

Is there any reason they chose Faithless over Bravest Face or Good News First? Because of those 3 I like Faithless the least

They are seriously all the same song.

Sounds like you need to listen to Snakes more.

• Like 3

Gonna take you up on that right --now.

It is my least favorite Rush album, but keep in mind there is no such thing as a bad Rush album. (I'm not a big fan of instrumentals)

• Like 1

It is my least favorite Rush album, but keep in mind there is no such thing as a bad Rush album. (I'm not a big fan of instrumentals)

There are sparks of brilliance - but I think the instrumentals give the record a much needed lift out of the doldrums. My god the tempos just slog and slog on so many songs.

Listening to Faithless now. Just 10 bpm faster wouldve done wonders.

• Like 1

A long time ago I went through all the known tour lists and made a list of my own. It was of the songs that were played live but have never been released on a live album.

I don't know when Rush started recording all their live shows, but in what they do have recorded, there has to be a number of songs which have never been on a live album. I sure wish someone with Rush would start going through all those recordings and that Rush would release an official album of all those songs.

On the 2112 special release, a live version of "Twilight Zone" was included. Unfortunately, that recording plays just a notch too fast. It makes Geddy's high-pitch of 1976/77 sound all the higher. To me, that recording is bad. But it's existence tells me that "Twilight Zone" always existed live, so there's got to be a lot more.

So would you all buy an album of live previously unreleased songs that aren't exactly the big hits? I know there are some of these songs on bootlegs, but those aren't official, well-produced releases.

• Like 2

A long time ago I went through all the known tour lists and made a list of my own. It was of the songs that were played live but have never been released on a live album.

I don't know when Rush started recording all their live shows, but in what they do have recorded, there has to be a number of songs which have never been on a live album. I sure wish someone with Rush would start going through all those recordings and that Rush would release an official album of all those songs.

On the 2112 special release, a live version of "Twilight Zone" was included. Unfortunately, that recording plays just a notch too fast. It makes Geddy's high-pitch of 1976/77 sound all the higher. To me, that recording is bad. But it's existence tells me that "Twilight Zone" always existed live, so there's got to be a lot more.

So would you all buy an album of live previously unreleased songs that aren't exactly the big hits? I know there are some of these songs on bootlegs, but those aren't official, well-produced releases.

for sure.

even before they called it quits i would of been down for a release like that.

• Like 1

I would, I want these things so much that I will them into existence. I created my own "Rush Through Time" that I think makes the perfect accompaniment for "Wandering the Face of the Earth". It just exists on my hd but it would be the equivalent of 11 cds, contains 135 different songs and it runs about 14 hours long and I listen to it a lot.

• Like 1

BU2B must be an outlier as a song played live before it was released on an album, but not after.

Correct, BU2B was only played before the album came out (or at least it was only recorded then, it couldve been played a few more times after)

I always found it interesting that it's the only song from the album (excluding BU2B2) that wasn't played live after the Album's Release.