Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?

Texas King

Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?

It’s going in the right direction - but like with most of AFTK - the execution is a little MEH.

I’ve said it before - NP is going through a musical transition on this record. His playing is a bit all over the place. During the verses, his drumming is pretty awful, sorry to say. I think NP circa 1981 would’ve had a different approach that would’ve worked.

And the overall production needs to be much heavier. It just sounds mid rangey and stale.

Can't say I hear what you're hearing. To me Neil's best drumming is on the AFTK album. Xanadu! And the production is perfect! Pompous, regal, but controlled, atmospheric, and crushingly heavy when it wants to be! Agree to disagree.

I'm in shock!!

I just played my drums to "A Farewell To Kings" two nights ago. It's soooooooooo fun to play along to!!!! WOW!

I hope you mean the whole album.

I wish I had a drumset to to play this to, but it would run about $3500 and at this point in my life I have other things I can do with it (still have a vague hope of that kit though).

As for the song, I am not sure it is great but it is easily good (hence why I went with good).

I listened to this album every day after school my senior year (I got out early every day). While I haven't listened to it straight through in quite a while, I don't regret listening to it every day back then either. IMHO while 2112 gave them certain liberties they needed, I think AFTK is where the sound of Rush began. What a great album to start off your sound as a band with!

• Like 1