Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?

Texas King

Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Song "A Farewell to Kings" - weak, average, good or great?

Amazing album opener for an amazing album. Still trying to learn that intro section.

Rush's Best title track for sure (sorry Fly By Night stans)

• Like 1

It’s going in the right direction - but like with most of AFTK - the execution is a little MEH.

I’ve said it before - NP is going through a musical transition on this record. His playing is a bit all over the place. During the verses, his drumming is pretty awful, sorry to say. I think NP circa 1981 would’ve had a different approach that would’ve worked.

And the overall production needs to be much heavier. It just sounds mid rangey and stale.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Going off topic for a moment, RUSH has A Farewell To Kings and Triumph has The Sport of Kings.

If the cards are stacked against you (referencing the Triumph cover), you may end up falling over to the side on your throne (referencing the RUSH cover).

Here's another thing, Alex Lifeson plays a nylon-string guitar with a classical melody at the beginning of the title track.

Then Rik Emmett is playing this classical influenced melody with a nylon-string guitar (beginning at the 0:42 mark) to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6Cx-mTvL8

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I was between good and great but I graded on a curve.

First album after 2112 success finally gave them a chance to breath and expand (and got the f***ing record company off their backs).

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Rush's Best title track for sure (sorry Fly By Night stans)

2112? Hemispheres? Clockwork Angels?

Clockwork Angels is just a tad too long but pretty equal to AFTK in greatness.

Also I've explained before how 2112 doesn't seem to impress me as much as most people http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/108732-me-2112/

As for Hemispheres, it is the better half of the Cygnus epics, but it's mainly the length. You gotta be in the right mood to make the commitment to listen to a song thats over 10 minutes long. If someone came up to me and gave me a choice only between AFTK and Hemispheres, id choose the former.

Great? More like superb! Excellent! Insanely awesome! Totally wicked!

:haz:

Top ten Rush song for me, but then more than half of AFTK makes my top ten, it's that sick!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

It’s going in the right direction - but like with most of AFTK - the execution is a little MEH.

I’ve said it before - NP is going through a musical transition on this record. His playing is a bit all over the place. During the verses, his drumming is pretty awful, sorry to say. I think NP circa 1981 would’ve had a different approach that would’ve worked.

And the overall production needs to be much heavier. It just sounds mid rangey and stale.

Can't say I hear what you're hearing. To me Neil's best drumming is on the AFTK album. Xanadu! And the production is perfect! Pompous, regal, but controlled, atmospheric, and crushingly heavy when it wants to be! Agree to disagree.

• Like 2

Can't say I hear what you're hearing. To me Neil's best drumming is on the AFTK album. Xanadu! And the production is perfect! Pompous, regal, but controlled, atmospheric, and crushingly heavy when it wants to be! Agree to disagree.

Xanadu is triumphant, no question.

But CTTH? Cinderella Man? His playing is weird - maybe he's just high as f**k on the recording.

But CTTH? Cinderella Man? His playing is weird - maybe he's just high as f**k on the recording.

He gets FUNKY on Cinderella Man, that breakdown is phenomenal! And CTTH, well here's a video of someone pointing out everything I love about that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_nWnyrvjdU

He gets FUNKY on Cinderella Man, that breakdown is phenomenal! And CTTH, well here's a video of someone pointing out everything I love about that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_nWnyrvjdU

I think the live versions of CTTH are so much better. Yet I've always felt that the song felt unfinished.

I think the live versions of CTTH are so much better. Yet I've always felt that the song felt unfinished.

Live versions of Rush songs are usually better, but I've never though it felt unfinished.

I'm in shock!!

I just played my drums to "A Farewell To Kings" two nights ago. It's soooooooooo fun to play along to!!!! WOW!

• Like 2