Last Concert Video/Movie Watched.

pjbear05

We just saw a really good one tonight, called Summer Of Soul. It's a new movie on Hulu.

It's a documentary about a series of summer concerts in Harlem in 1969. The performances they feature are high energy and very entertaining. Some of the artists are Stevie Wonder, Mavis Staples, Gladys Knight and the Pips and Sly and the Family Stone and they are jammin :) If you have any interest in soul/funk this is a good one.

It's also on in some theaters here and I really want to see it. Only problem is I'm leaving town Monday and won't be back for 9 days. Hoping it's still showing when I return. If not I'll eventually buy it on PPV.

• Like 1

We just saw a really good one tonight, called Summer Of Soul. It's a new movie on Hulu.

It's a documentary about a series of summer concerts in Harlem in 1969. The performances they feature are high energy and very entertaining. Some of the artists are Stevie Wonder, Mavis Staples, Gladys Knight and the Pips and Sly and the Family Stone and they are jammin :) If you have any interest in soul/funk this is a good one.

Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson won two top prizes at Sundance Film Festival for Summer of Soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8etsSGsTRc

• Like 2

Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson won two top prizes at Sundance Film Festival for Summer of Soul.

Cool! I didn't know that. He had a very good eye for finding the interesting performances of the festival and making those the center of the film.

• Like 1

Yesterday I attended a local farmers market event, which occurs every Friday evening (5-8pm) from May to Sept in my hometown.

There's a MCC Thrift Shop nearby, which is also open in the evening for people to shop at.

I look around and there's a used DVD copy of Almost Famous in immaculate condition that I bought.

I missed seeing the film initially when it was released over 20 years ago.

However I've read various pieces about it before, including a couple of career interviews with Cameron Crowe, where it's mentioned.

Needless to say it was a great film to see last night.

I'll add the following to this post as well.

Rolling Stone magazine recently did an Almost Famous 20th Anniversary series on the film with interview articles and podcasts, which can be heard and viewed here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

David Bowie - Glass Spider, and A Reality Tour
  • Like 2

The last concert video I watched was the Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense. Edited by Krystal
  • Like 4

David Bowie - Glastonbury 2000
  • Like 1

Cool! I didn't know that. He had a very good eye for finding the interesting performances of the festival and making those the center of the film.

This. Not just an amazing "concert film"...but a really great film about that moment in time. Questlove does a really good job of contextualizing that concert in a sociological way. It's the best film I've seen this year. There was one moment where Chris Rock was inexplicably interviewed to talk about Stevie Wonder....and it was the kind of "celeb" moment that I feared the film would be full of...but fortunately that was pretty much the only strike against it (for me).

• Like 2

I finally viewed 'Summer of Soul' at a friend's house today.

Today was her 32nd birthday, so we watched the film, along with her mother.

It was fantastic.

• Like 2

It was fantastic.

Glad you liked it! Yeah, there were some cool groups in that festival. We really enjoyed the movie. :)

• Like 1

It was fantastic.

Glad you liked it! Yeah, there were some cool groups in that festival. We really enjoyed the movie. :)

It was in small theaters here in early July but was gone by the time I got back from vacation. MUST find and watch (I don't have Hulu).

• Like 1