Ultravox - Vienna

Texas King

From Circus Magazine - November 30th, 1982

Rush's Simpler 'Signals'

Rush's last three LP's have gone Top 10, quite a feat for a band whose music is so atypical of most commercial successes. Signals (Mercury), their 10th album overall, should be their biggest yet. On this record, even more so than on last year's Moving Pictures and 1980's Permanent Waves, the music's jagged edges have been softened and the rhythms are less frenzied. Synthesizers replace what normally would be solo space for guitarist Alex Lifeson, who enriches songs like "Losing It" and "Chemistry" with atmospheric sunbursts of color. Why the modification of sound? Lee credits some of the music the band has listened to during the past year, like one of Peart's favorite records, Ultravox's moody, layered *Vienna*.

From Circus Magazine - March 31, 1983

Face To Face With Rush's Geddy Lee

CIRCUS: On Signals, you use synthesizers more than ever before; they fill up spaces that normally would be filled by Alex's guitar. It sounds as if you've been listening to techno-rock groups such as Ultravox.

LEE: Yes, we have been, although not just Ultravox. Alex is in a whole other world; his record collection ranges from Pat Metheny to Martha and the Muffins - pretty broad scope there. I think everybody's tastes are varied. But yes, that style of music certainly influenced us on Signals.

• Like 3

Saw the reunion opening show in the Playhouse Theater in Edinburgh. Killer sound and killer performance! Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

Great and much underrated (even forgotten) band.

How Midge came to fill in when Gary upped-and-offed is one of those events that, to use an awful phrase, "i can't quite get my head around". Total respect to Midge for pulling it off..but why him ?

So I made a ultravox channel on pandora after the last post.

I do like them and will keep listening.

Reap the wild wind is one my faves.

I also watched the conny plank doc on Amazon which has ultravox in it.

The doc is killer. Great story of a huge influnce

• Like 1

From Louder.

Ultravox: more prog than new romantic?

When it comes to a really good prog-related story, Midge Ure's got a corker. “I was once asked to go and meet Rush, with a view to producing them. They were big Ultravox fans. So I flew over to Toronto, and we had a lovely dinner. Then we got round to talking about their album. They asked what my take on it would be, if I were producing. And I said, ‘I would simplify it.’” He laughs heartily. “Suffice to say I was on the plane home the next day! It was fine, though; I had to be honest. They were brilliant players, and we’d have made a great record together…”

From Louder.

When it comes to a really good prog-related story, Midge Ure's got a corker. “I was once asked to go and meet Rush, with a view to producing them. They were big Ultravox fans. So I flew over to Toronto, and we had a lovely dinner. Then we got round to talking about their album. They asked what my take on it would be, if I were producing. And I said, ‘I would simplify it.’” He laughs heartily. “Suffice to say I was on the plane home the next day! It was fine, though; I had to be honest. They were brilliant players, and we’d have made a great record together…”

I've read in a couple of places that early Ultravox fans didn't care for the Midge Ure years. Kind of like early Rush fans that don't care for the post Signals years. It's too bad he didn't get to produce an album with Rush. It might have been interesting.

From Louder.

I've read in a couple of places that early Ultravox fans didn't care for the Midge Ure years. Kind of like early Rush fans that don't care for the post Signals years. It's too bad he didn't get to produce an album with Rush. It might have been interesting.

I wonder what album it was, maybe GUP after Steve Lilywhite blew them out?

John Foxx era Ultravox had more edge but didn't have the hits.

Hard to believe this was Midge just a few years earlier...