choose one  

19 members have voted

1. 1. band

• Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    • REO Speedwagon
  2. 2. definitive album

3. 3. The second one

I'm going straight ticket REO here. BTO may be more technically skilled or something like that, but REO Speedwagon's brand of AOR (and their murky precursors to the style) is candy to my ears.
  • Like 3

Count me among those who love REO. Good straight forward, no frills rock. Gary Richrath was an underappreciated guitarist with great tone. Kevin Cronin had a knack for writing the best songs to capture how it feels when a relationship goes downhill. Time For Me to Fly will always remind me of a particular girl from my late teens-early 20s.

I'm tired of holdin' on, to a feelin' I KNOW is gone, I do believe that I've had enough.

Oh and Hi InFIdelity is phenomenal.

• Like 3

I've never owned an album from either band. I know, from radio play, BTO so I can name a few songs from them.

I couldn't name a single REO.

I like REO up through Hi Infidelity. Got way too schmaltzy after that. Richrath was a killer guitarist. I like almost all of BTO. Think R.E.O.T.W.O. is a really underappreciated album.

I can't choose one or the other.

Saw REO on the Hi Infidelity tour and then again about 5 years ago and BTO in '75 and '77 iirc.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

Bachman and Turner are real men, macho men, manly men. They sing about truckin', sledgehammers, and other manly things.

Kevin Cronin is not. He sings about feelings, love and other sissy things.

BTO wins in a landslide.

;) ;)

• Like 7

Randy Bachman bailed out of the Guess Who in 1970 to live a healthier lifestyle and started a new band entitled Brave Belt. That band morphed into BTO by 1973 and enjoyed a kick ass sophomore album with Not Fragile which was the first 33.3 rpm vinyl album I bought. Age 14. I still enjoy that album with Fred's driving vocals and the great dual lead guitars in several songs.

I never did buy an REO album even though they were popular here. I actually prefer REM tbh lol.

Edited by Tinwoodsman
  • Like 4

Randy Bachman bailed out of the Guess Who in 1970 to live a healthier lifestyle and started a new band entitled Brave Belt. That band morphed into BTO by 1973 and enjoyed a kick ass sophomore album with Not Fragile which was the first 33.3 rpm vinyl album I bought. Age 14. I still enjoy that album with Fred's driving vocals and the great dual lead guitars in several songs.

I never did buy an REO album even though they were popular here. I actually prefer REM tbh lol.

the guess who are far better than bto or reo in my eyes.

• Like 4

Randy Bachman bailed out of the Guess Who in 1970 to live a healthier lifestyle....

.... and then became such a control freak over the band that his brother, guitarist Tim Bachman, quit the band.

No premarital sex, drugs or alcohol while on tour? Come ON, Randy....

• Like 1

It took Randy Bachman a total of nearly 9 years (beginning as a member of Chad Allan and the Reflections in 1961 releasing their first minor single to the metamorphosis of The Guess Who featuring Burton Cummings) to achieve massive global success with 'American Woman' single and album in 1970.

It took REO Speedwagon a total of 9 years (beginning at a group forming in 1967 and releasing their first album in 1971), to achieve massive global success in 1980 with Hi Infidelity in 1980. See article here and here.

It was a long road to success with both acts.

Then again with Bachman-Turner Overdrive, success didn't take years this time. However like RUSH, BTO toured over 300 dates a year. See article here.

On a global scale, BTO is known for Not Fragile and REO Speedwagon for Hi Infidelity.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

the guess who are far better than bto or reo in my eyes.

That's a new poll for a new day ... before the C word reared its ugly head, Randy, Burton and Fred had a new Canadian tour lined up for 2020. Burton's voice is shot and has been for 30 years.

• Like 1

That's a new poll for a new day ... before the C word reared its ugly head, Randy, Burton and Fred had a new Canadian tour lined up for 2020. Burton's voice is shot and has been for 30 years.

It would've been a Bachman-Cummings tour for 2020. Fred Turner retired in 2014.

Bachman and Turner are real men, macho men, manly men. They sing about truckin', sledgehammers, and other manly things.

BTO wins in a landslide.

;) ;)

manly indeed

i assume not fragile came out after fragile ( by yes )?

I know, from radio play, BTO so I can name a few songs from them.

I couldn't name a single REO.

Are you sure you don't have them reversed? Commercially (including radio/airplay) REO was a much larger success, both in overall album sales and singles for the same duration of time in the 70s.

That said, BTO would be considered more in line with classic rock and REO by today's standards would be leaning more towards soft rock, at least several of their biggest hits. So depending on what radio station you were listening and in what era, you may have rarely heard one or the other band. In the 1980s they were still being lumped together on most rock radio stations, but at some point I seem to recall hearing REO on easy listening (soft rock) stations as well and overall I don't hear REO that very often anymore because if I listen to music of that era streaming it's usually more geared toward "classic" rock. Also, BTO are southern rock so that's another way in which you could be more familiar with them [Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, Allman Bros, etc]

Edited by stoopid

I voted REO but it's very close for me. My college roommate was a huge REO fan of everything before Hi Infidelity and that influenced me a lot. I still think of them as the band that did Riding the Storm Out and Roll With The Changes rather than the later stuff. (They had an excellent 70's album called You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tune a Fish. :LOL: ). I love their early sound.

I love the sound of BTO also, though; it's weird because they had mad skillz in the Guess Who but I think of BTO as basically garage rock. Great garage rock, though, right up there with Grand Funk! :heart: :heart: :heart: Let It Roll!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

BTO wins in a landslide.

;) ;)

manly indeed

Indeed! Bachman said he thought Fragile was an ironic name for a rock album, and said he felt his own bands music could be drop-kicked without breaking.

• Like 2

BTO wins in a landslide.

;) ;)

manly indeed

Indeed! Bachman said he thought Fragile was an ironic name for a rock album, and said he felt his own bands music could be drop-kicked without breaking.

nice

when i was kid, i lived in buffalo ny and being so close to canada, i think ( or really guess ) the radio stations there in the 70s played more canadian music than those further to the south?? guess who, bto, gordon lightfoot etc probably why i am such a rush fanboi