What are you doing to stay sane during this quarantine?

lemonycake

Haven't been on this board in a while! :hi: I am trapped in a tiny room during the shutdown and am going stir-crazy with hundreds of thoughts and questions running through my head, and I realized just how important regular human interaction is for my mental health. I swear as soon as this is over, I am never blowing off any invitations to see people again.

A few observations during quarantine:

-I am still coming to terms with the gravity of the situation. This is the first time I've experienced a crisis warranting a global shutdown for an indefinite period of time, and I've been feeling a fair amount of anxiety on how long this is going to last and how things will return to normal.

-I was really looking forward to my summer courses, but they've been switched to online. I am much more motivated to learn when classes have an interactive element so that I know I am actively absorbing information.

-I miss hanging out in parks and talking to strangers and going to meet-ups and cooking for friends and not having to avoid people :( The latter half of 2019 was blessed--I got to know a lot of smart and awesome people who share my interests. For the first time after my toxic relationship, I could say I was happy and confident again. Then 2020 came and slapped me in the face

I hope everyone is safe and keeping busy with distractions. What do you have planned for the following weeks? For me, this is a good time to get back into reading for pleasure, exercising, leaning new recipes, creative pursuits, and playing Animal Crossing! :yay:

• Like 6

A lot of organizing.

Playing more bass than I have in a long time.

Catching up on organizing old photos, digitizing, etc.

Reading.

I have to admit that the social distancing isn't too much of a stretch for me. I'm a natural introvert - but that doesn't mean that i don't go stir crazy after a while. My wife however is more restless, and social - the distancing is harder for her.

We've been in the bunker since the 2nd week of February. Saw this coming, via Reddit.

Am honestly concerned about catching this thing, even after the stay at home stuff is lifted at some point. I am hoping that the virus mutates into a non-deadly form. Some of the research out of Korea is indicating that it may well do so. Saw a Eurpoean writep along the same lines last week.

Virus' that kill too quick can't spread. Unfortunately, it may take a while as it seems to spread for a long time pre-symptoms. So not as much evolut6ionary pressure to change. We will see.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

Eating lemony cakes!

Well, there's no bread.....

let them eat selling england by the pound cake............

Supper's Ready?

• Like 1

First I listened to all of Led Zeppelin's albums. Now I'm listening to Robert Plant's solo albums and collaborative projects.

I could listen to him moaning all night and never get tired of it. Baby, baby, baby, baby. LOL

• Like 1

Haven't been on this board in a while! :hi: I am trapped in a tiny room during the shutdown and am going stir-crazy with hundreds of thoughts and questions running through my head, and I realized just how important regular human interaction is for my mental health. I swear as soon as this is over, I am never blowing off any invitations to see people again.

-I am still coming to terms with the gravity of the situation. This is the first time I've experienced a crisis warranting a global shutdown for an indefinite period of time, and I've been feeling a fair amount of anxiety on how long this is going to last and how things will return to normal.

-I was really looking forward to my summer courses, but they've been switched to online. I am much more motivated to learn when classes have an interactive element so that I know I am actively absorbing information.

-I miss hanging out in parks and talking to strangers and going to meet-ups and cooking for friends and not having to avoid people :( The latter half of 2019 was blessed--I got to know a lot of smart and awesome people who share my interests. For the first time after my toxic relationship, I could say I was happy and confident again. Then 2020 came and slapped me in the face

I hope everyone is safe and keeping busy with distractions. What do you have planned for the following weeks? For me, this is a good time to get back into reading for pleasure, exercising, leaning new recipes, creative pursuits, and playing Animal Crossing! :yay:

I am taking this as seriously as I need to (which is serious, to be sure, but not getting swept up in all the histrionics and hysteria).

I also can’t imagine how long it’s going to be before we’re back to ‘normal’, or how that normal is even going to be defined. I think the psychological impact of all this is going to be a LOT longer-lasting than the public health concerns involved.

I am fortunate to still be getting a good paycheck through all of this; I go to my office one or two days a week, and the rest of the time I work from home.

I’d love to just be able to take myself out to dinner somewhere. And I’m bummed that there’s been no college basketball tournament. But hey, I’m healthy, and so are all of my loved ones. So any of my complaints about the situation we’re all in are pretty meaningless by comparison.

I’d say it’s optimistic that we might be in a lot better shape by June or so...but that’s what I’m really, really hoping for.

• Like 3

No quarantine at all here. My country of residence is in denial.

School health checks for entering freshmen for the new school year (a usual thing) will kick off this Wednesday. Opening ceremony is this Friday. First day of school classes is April 8th.

So now that the number of reported infections is actually increasing (especially in Tokyo), they’re bringing kids back to school. :wacko:

Eating lemony cakes!

Well, there's no bread.....

let them eat selling england by the pound cake............

Supper's Ready?

served daily at the home by the sea.......

Would that be The Fletcher Memorial Home, then?

• Like 1

I'm mostly working from home, so I get to have more 'guitar breaks' when things get a little slow. My dog is getting very accustomed to lunch time walks.

I do worry about our health professionals and the tipping point where they can no longer treat people and need to be treated themselves. It's starting to happen.

I'm started to think that if or when I get covid, that I won't come near a hospital unless absolutely necessary.

Difficult to keep the mind positive as there is so many problems, real and potential, that this could trigger. My wife is still working like crazy but her dickhead boss keeps giving her shit, probably to punk her into quitting. He's a manipulator and a punk and none of the criticism my wife is getting is justified. She's a auto dealership service manager, so she has lots of public exposure. At a certain point, we wonder if it's worth it right now.

A lot of organizing.

Playing more bass than I have in a long time.

Catching up on organizing old photos, digitizing, etc.

Reading.

I have to admit that the social distancing isn't too much of a stretch for me. I'm a natural introvert - but that doesn't mean that i don't go stir crazy after a while. My wife however is more restless, and social - the distancing is harder for her.

We've been in the bunker since the 2nd week of February. Saw this coming, via Reddit.

Am honestly concerned about catching this thing, even after the stay at home stuff is lifted at some point. I am hoping that the virus mutates into a non-deadly form. Some of the research out of Korea is indicating that it may well do so. Saw a Eurpoean writep along the same lines last week.

Virus' that kill too quick can't spread. Unfortunately, it may take a while as it seems to spread for a long time pre-symptoms. So not as much evolut6ionary pressure to change. We will see.

Get those practise hours in!

Organizing can be a stress killer. I am trying to convince myself that the silver lining of this whole thing might be more time to focus on neglected hobbies.

I am also naturally introverted, but I live alone and need to see at least one human being regularly to function. Your wife must be feeling the effects of social distancing much more :(

Weirdly enough, I was really stressed about the virus when it was nowhere nearby, but I'm not that worried anymore. I was the first in my circle to urge others to stay alert and practise proper hygiene back in January. If I or someone else catches it anyway despite our ongoing efforts, then it just can't be helped. Fingers crossed what you read is correct and we will start to see it die down eventually

• Like 1

MST3K and Rifftraxas well as talk radio on Sirius XM like Michaelangelo Signorile and Stephanie Miller.

I just ordered some lemon juice and orange juice on Instacart through Sprouts since I keep reading lemon helps. I usually got my vitamin C from Vitamin Water on the way to work before so I’m getting it back.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I am taking this as seriously as I need to (which is serious, to be sure, but not getting swept up in all the histrionics and hysteria).

I also can’t imagine how long it’s going to be before we’re back to ‘normal’, or how that normal is even going to be defined. I think the psychological impact of all this is going to be a LOT longer-lasting than the public health concerns involved.

I am fortunate to still be getting a good paycheck through all of this; I go to my office one or two days a week, and the rest of the time I work from home.

I’d love to just be able to take myself out to dinner somewhere. And I’m bummed that there’s been no college basketball tournament. But hey, I’m healthy, and so are all of my loved ones. So any of my complaints about the situation we’re all in are pretty meaningless by comparison.

I’d say it’s optimistic that we might be in a lot better shape by June or so...but that’s what I’m really, really hoping for.

Hi Blue J! I share your exact sentiment. I am limiting my exposure to the news, which has been a barrage of depressing and panic-inducing headlines. I check once a day to stay up to date with new information and guidelines, but stay away from the hysteria and unhinged comments... Honestly, how is that helping the situation? More people will feel compelled to be spiteful to each other. I take the virus very seriously, but even people who take it seriously are getting tired of the constant doom and gloom.

I agree that the psychological aspect of all of this has totally been overlooked so far. No one is prepared to be suddenly isolated and plunged into a depression for an indefinite amount of time. The government should be working on a concrete plan or provide financial aid for those struggling during this time. So far, there has been no mention of aid for college students or people who were unemployed prior to the outbreak.

I'm very happy to hear that you get the chance to work from home and are still getting paid! You and your family's health should definitely come first before anything else, but don't forget that mental health is just as critical. Take a walk outside from time to time, and spend quality time with your loved ones. I too genuinely hope we will emerge from this by June. Where are you located? My area is supposedly 2 or 3 weeks before the peak of the virus.

I just escaped from a 12 month small room sequestration episode myself (no viruses around at that time thankfully). I brought a bunch of musical instruments over from the shop music room and reorganized the living room, set up the audio visual system and started working on the music hobby again. The roomate doesnt mind the music or the entertainment. Spring arrived quickly thank goodness, so I started cleaning the yard and garage.

No bad luck with separation anxiety! It's been lurking in my psyche for the last 3 years now. I hope this pandemic goes away quickly so we can regroup and recapture some of what we might have lost, before it's too late. Freedom and sanity are underated atm.

Edited by Tinwoodsman
  • Like 2

Eating and drinking. Made it out to Total Wine and stocked up on beer, also grabbed some Armagnac as that was also running low. Also hit Whole Foods hard. They are well stocked on the produce and meats. Biggest difference was the no food in the ready-to-eat area, which I understand. Plenty of frozen dishes, so all was good. I'll probably hit them up later in the week.
  • Like 2

First I listened to all of Led Zeppelin's albums. Now I'm listening to Robert Plant's solo albums and collaborative projects.

I could listen to him moaning all night and never get tired of it. Baby, baby, baby, baby. LOL

jBd5eVa.gif

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 2

I missed Elton John's concert. I didn't know he already had it yesterday. Where can I watch it?

Hi Blue J! I share your exact sentiment. I am limiting my exposure to the news, which has been a barrage of depressing and panic-inducing headlines. I check once a day to stay up to date with new information and guidelines, but stay away from the hysteria and unhinged comments... Honestly, how is that helping the situation? More people will feel compelled to be spiteful to each other. I take the virus very seriously, but even people who take it seriously are getting tired of the constant doom and gloom.

I agree that the psychological aspect of all of this has totally been overlooked so far. No one is prepared to be suddenly isolated and plunged into a depression for an indefinite amount of time. The government should be working on a concrete plan or provide financial aid for those struggling during this time. So far, there has been no mention of aid for college students or people who were unemployed prior to the outbreak.

I'm very happy to hear that you get the chance to work from home and are still getting paid! You and your family's health should definitely come first before anything else, but don't forget that mental health is just as critical. Take a walk outside from time to time, and spend quality time with your loved ones. I too genuinely hope we will emerge from this by June. Where are you located? My area is supposedly 2 or 3 weeks before the peak of the virus.

I am in southwest Ohio, about an hour north of Cincinnati by car.

And yes, it seems we see a lot of this the same way...when I referred to the psychological aspect, what I mean is I think it could be for years afterwards that a lot of people will be hesitant to hug, or even reach out and shake hands when meeting someone for the first time. I mean, I’m not one of those people, I’ve been out and about enough and feeling fine, and I’m not unduly spooked by what’s going on. (I mean yes I am, it’s scary as hell, if I think about it too much- but that’s the key, is doing our best not to be obsessed with it all).

But I could see a lot of people thinking twice about even approaching others; this whole thing just teaches us to keep our distance from literally everyone- and that is not psychologically healthy at all, if you ask me (and yes, yes, I know- no one was asking me. But still).

Good on you for having occasion to interact with some good people and get some really positive things out of what’s going on.

Stay well!