Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary Packages available for order

blueschica

Posted on Rush's Facebook today- apparently preorders will have access to what they are calling "Instant Gratification Tracks" . . .click the links for details . . .

GET INTO THE SPIRIT OF PERMANENT WAVES

On May 29th, Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary will be available in four distinct configurations, including the Super Deluxe Edition, two-CD Deluxe Edition, three-LP Deluxe Edition and Deluxe Digital Edition.

Read all the details here:

https://www.rush.com...th-anniversary/

Pre-order here: https://lnk.to/PermanentWaves40

RushBackstage has new items, bundles and free gift offer:

https://www.rushbackstage.com/store/

O7ong0C.png

sgOlv1Y.png

Megadeth and Metallica guy never fails to disappoint but it's still a pretty bad cover.

Ordered the 2CD awhile back because that's all I need though I'm a bit curious about what the book looks like.

Ordered the Super Deluxe with Hoody and Tee plus a hoody for my son.

My all time favorite Rush Album.

We are heading into the best period of Rush in my book. I look forward to the forth coming Moving Pictures/Signals/Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows/Hold Your Fire Anniversary releases. I guess my hope is we get all those. Remains to be seen if we do. I have to believe we get all those except for HYF. All those records were platinum sales recordings. I expect Roll The Bones to be the only 90’s record to get this type of treatment.

• Like 1

I quite like the cover. Lots of detail, and the guy isn't really that ugly (if thats your concern, hah)

if anything, why not have the GIRL as the reporter???

also the cover looks like it was smashed together in a couple minutes.

next time, maybe for the 80th, get a f***ing camera and take some actual photos.

I quite like the cover. Lots of detail, and the guy isn't really that ugly (if thats your concern, hah)

if anything, why not have the GIRL as the reporter???

also the cover looks like it was smashed together in a couple minutes.

next time, maybe for the 80th, get a f***ing camera and take some actual photos.

Im not one to judge

But its really not that bad

• Like 1

ordered through Amazon - cheaper than Rush Backstage, but still pricey. Nonetheless, I took a pass on the Hemispheres set due to the live tracks not living up to my expectations. This however they did the right thing, I now can cobble together a complete PeW tour set list in presumably very good sound quality. That's all I ever want from these deluxe packages

I've gotten all the 40th boxes from 2112 on so far, but the timing of this one is early enough that it might be sold out by the time Christmas shopping comes along...so we'll see I guess. And as happy as I am with the Hems box (I didn't have Hems on vinyl before so that was a big part of the draw for me), I was disappointed at not getting more of Cygnus Book II on the live discs. Glad to see it made its way onto this one! Also this is probably the best reimagined artwork so far. The 2112 artwork was pretty uninteresting, the AFTK too distant from the original (though I do like it and it's plethora of details), and the Hems too gray for an album cover that had been so colorful. At least the grayness in this one is because the original was gray (or slightly greenish depending on your copy).

I imagine whatever's in the book and essay will be dedicated to Neil, frankly that's a big draw for me as well.

• Like 1

I suppose the question for the die hard Rush nerd is whether all the extra trinkets and things in the super deluxe are worth the extra $110 over the triple LP version. Holy cow that's an expensive lot of stuff!

"I imagine whatever's in the book and essay will be dedicated to Neil..."

I doubt it. The essay had to have been written prior to the news of his passing.

Sure probably, but they had to have known over the prior months that his condition looked pretty grim. And also, even if the essay made no reference or dedication when it was first written, I feel like this being the first major release since his passing they would feel it right to add a dedication. I mean, I as a fan would find it very strange to read a new Rush retrospective or piece of some kind that doesn't even imply his passing.

I've gotten all the 40th boxes from 2112 on so far, but the timing of this one is early enough that it might be sold out by the time Christmas shopping comes along...so we'll see I guess. And as happy as I am with the Hems box (I didn't have Hems on vinyl before so that was a big part of the draw for me), I was disappointed at not getting more of Cygnus Book II on the live discs. Glad to see it made its way onto this one! Also this is probably the best reimagined artwork so far. The 2112 artwork was pretty uninteresting, the AFTK too distant from the original (though I do like it and it's plethora of details), and the Hems too gray for an album cover that had been so colorful. At least the grayness in this one is because the original was gray (or slightly greenish depending on your copy).

I imagine whatever's in the book and essay will be dedicated to Neil, frankly that's a big draw for me as well.

I have bought every box set as well since 2112. I sold the 2112 box set because it was just awful. The bonus songs was the worst bonus songs ever, just a bunch of lousy cover songs, + some live songs in REALLY bad quality! The A Farewell To Kings box set is probably my favorite so far. The whole concert from A Farewell To Kings Tour remixed finally! I wanted to have the whole show ever since I heard Different Stages the first time (The songs from the 3rd disc is from the same concert). The Hemispheres box set is all right, I was a bit disappointed that they picked the concert from the festival, with no real Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres. They could have picked a way better concert! I don't care if they take from a existing bootleg, it still would have been better.

I pre-ordered the super deluxe box set of Permanent Waves + the hoody + the shirt. The bonus stuff seems to be good, but it's hard to know before you have heard it! Tho I wish they could have just picked a whole concert from the Permanent Waves Tour.

• Like 1

I have bought every box set as well since 2112. I sold the 2112 box set because it was just awful. The bonus songs was the worst bonus songs ever, just a bunch of lousy cover songs, + some live songs in REALLY bad quality! The A Farewell To Kings box set is probably my favorite so far. The whole concert from A Farewell To Kings Tour remixed finally! I wanted to have the whole show ever since I heard Different Stages the first time (The songs from the 3rd disc is from the same concert). The Hemispheres box set is all right, I was a bit disappointed that they picked the concert from the festival, with no real Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres. They could have picked a way better concert! I don't care if they take from a existing bootleg, it still would have been better.

I pre-ordered the super deluxe box set of Permanent Waves + the hoody + the shirt. The bonus stuff seems to be good, but it's hard to know before you have heard it! Tho I wish they could have just picked a whole concert from the Permanent Waves Tour.

I was intrigued by the covers n 2112, I think they're alright. I also like the hologram vinyl. But yeah the AFTK one is the best so far (best treatment for imo the best Rush album, happy coincidence!).

when it comes down to it, if the Rush organization wanted to cater to the longtime dedicated fan - these Anniversary boxes shouldn't be issued. They were never the type of band that had extra songs stored away. All most of us really want are complete live shows. That could easily be served up via download subscription and do very limited runs of cd and vinyl version for those fetishists that really love a hard copy. I've purchased 3 out of 4 big box 40th sets plus most of the previous vinyl re-issues but I'm running out of room and my enthusiasm is waning. If there is MP box set, it better deliver and even if it does, it will be my last purchase.

when it comes down to it, if the Rush organization wanted to cater to the longtime dedicated fan - these Anniversary boxes shouldn't be issued. They were never the type of band that had extra songs stored away. All most of us really want are complete live shows. That could easily be served up via download subscription and do very limited runs of cd and vinyl version for those fetishists that really love a hard copy. I've purchased 3 out of 4 big box 40th sets plus most of the previous vinyl re-issues but I'm running out of room and my enthusiasm is waning. If there is MP box set, it better deliver and even if it does, it will be my last purchase.

Hm, well I like them. :huh:

Hm, well I like them. :huh:

well yeah - as stated i've purchased 3 out of 4, doesn't mean I could hope for something better. I like nice packaging but I want different music content. I would rather have that over multiple copies of the same record with just enough breadcrumbs included to get me to purchase the entire package. The Hemisphere box may of had enough breadcrumbs for some but not I. Let's see I have 2 red vinyls of Hemy/1 black vinyl original Anthem, 1 black vinyl with stock blue Anthem label, the 2015 re-issue vinyl, 1 picture disc, 1 original Anthem cd, 1 Anthem re-mastered cd. So I think I'm good for copies of Hemispheres. Too bad they couldn't have dug up a non-circulating board tape from the marathon Hemispheres tour and included that in the box - because I would have gladly bought yet another version of Hemispheres.

I don't have any of the Super Deluxe Boxes. Have originals of a lot of the bonus stuff so I didn't think I needed to pay extra for replicas of what I already have.

That said, I have all of the CD sets because I wanted the 2015 masters on CD and all of the bonus music on them so those are easily worth it for me.

... This however they did the right thing, I now can cobble together a complete PeW tour set list in presumably very good sound quality. That's all I ever want from these deluxe packages

I should probably know this, but ... where does one get the remaining tracks to cobble together a PeW Tour Setlist (along with the live tracks on the new set)?

from poster Tim Sawyer

I'm looking forward to this, having assumed (wrongly) that they would just release the St. Louis radio show again.

Although it's only 80 minutes or so of new music, it will mean we can make up a couple of potentially very cool new compilations:

First, a full 1980 set in official release quality (all tracks from new PeW set except where shown)

1. 2112 - from St. Louis pre-FM

2. Freewill

3. By-Tor & The Snow Dog

4. Xanadu

5. The Spirit of Radio

6. Natural Science

7. A Passage to Bangkok

8. The Trees

9. Cygnus X-1

10. Hemispheres

11. Closer to the Heart

12. Beneath, Between & Behind

13. Jacob's Ladder

14. Archives Medley (Working Man/Finding My Way/Anthem/Bastille Day/Drum Solo) - from St. Louis pre-FM

15. La Villa Strangiato - from St. Louis pre-FM

Secondly, an expanded ESL, which should sound great (and isn't really cheating, as some of the existing ESL tracks are from the 1980 UK tour):

1. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx (Edmonton 1981 from 2112 40th anniversary)

2. Freewill (ESL)

3. Limelight (ESL DVD)

4. Jacob's Ladder (ESL)

5. A Passage to Bangkok (ESL)

6. YYZ (ESL)

7. Broon's Bane (ESL)

8. The Trees (ESL)

9. Xanadu (ESL)

10. The Spirit of Radio (ESL)

11. Red Barchetta (ESL)

12. Cygnus X-1 (PeW 40)

13. Hemispheres (PeW 40)

14. Closer to the Heart (ESL)

15. Beneath, Between & Behind (ESL)

16. Tom Sawyer (ESL)

17. Vital Signs (Live B-Side of New World Man)

18. Natural Science (PeW 40)

19. Medley: By-Tor & The Snow Dog/In The End/In The Mood/2112 Finale (ESL DVD)

20 La Villa Strangiato (ESL)

This set comes in at about 2 hours 15 minutes, and could well be the "full show" that ESL should have been if they'd had CDs back in 1981!

Edited by taurus