treeduck

Fat Free Fudge Pops Dipped In URANUS! NO CHARGE!

"The Universal Dream....."

zFCwtHV.jpg

LOL!

What's the most unusual coloured shirt or pants you own Earl?

Nothing unusual in the jeans and slacks department. I do have a lot of wild and colorful long sleeved shirts. Paisley too. You?

Nah everything I wear is black!

You are the UK Johnny Cash!

"Always bet on black" Pat.

Signed,

Wesley Snipes

Great line in a b movie.

Am I allowed to type stuff like that anymore?

Our Freedom of Speech is gone "FOREVER!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER!

If you mention Wesley Snipes you have to take a knee!

The number of positive tests in La Crosse County (WI) has increased 600% in the last 5 weeks.

It's gone from 35 total cases on May 12th to 195 today. Over 60 new cases in the last 3 days - all young adults.

Taverns, beaches, and other public places are being shut down again. :o

Looking at your state, your deaths are going down:

So what could possibly be going on in 5 weeks that would cause say 5 times the number of cases (in your county anyway) in a 5 weeks period?

Maybe doing 5 times the amount of daily tests compared to 5 weeks ago?

Crazy, but seems like the more people we test the more "positive cases" we find. You are doing almost exactly 5x the amount of tests from 5 weeks ago. (2,000 daily tests 5 weeks ago, almost 10,000 now).

I was just stating the facts about my county. We've been very fortunate to have no deaths from covid-19. I also know that our good fortune could change at any time.

Yes, we've been testing more people, which is always a good thing. We're discovering how widespread the virus is. Our #1 concern in La Crosse County is irresponsible people going out and about (taverns, beaches, fest grounds, etc.), contracting the virus, and spreading it to more and more people. When that happens, the likelihood of people dying from the virus will increase.

I'm 58 years old and I live with and take care of my mother, who is 80 years old and has several major health issues, such as diabetes and heart/lung issues. If some young and irresponsible person happens to infect me at a grocery store, or at my place of employment, what should I do? Should I go live in a motel until I test negative...assuming that I don't die? Should I tell my mother, "Hey, Ma, we don't matter, because the economy is far more important than our lives."?? Shall I tell her that we're part of the "Acceptable Losses" statistic?

Yes. Sorry.

There are dangers in the world and quite frankly your mother probably has a much bigger chance of dying from something else.

We don't shut down the world because someone might get sick.

You have 118,000 people in La Crosse County. You have had 195 "confirmed" cases and 0 deaths. Seriously, think about that for a minute. Is that really something to be worried about on the level you seem to be?

Because your mother is elderly and has health issues you should be careful, just as you should during the flu season.

Wow, what a heartless comment. Bet your point of view would alter significantly if someone you know gets COVID 19. It just saddens me that so many think they have the right to endanger others lives with such arrogance. Yes people die every day but purposefully telling some one tough sh*t you weren't lucky is clueless. :eyeroll:

• Like 2

The number of positive tests in La Crosse County (WI) has increased 600% in the last 5 weeks.

It's gone from 35 total cases on May 12th to 195 today. Over 60 new cases in the last 3 days - all young adults.

So what could possibly be going on in 5 weeks that would cause say 5 times the number of cases (in your county anyway) in a 5 weeks period?

Crazy, but seems like the more people we test the more "positive cases" we find. You are doing almost exactly 5x the amount of tests from 5 weeks ago. (2,000 daily tests 5 weeks ago, almost 10,000 now).

I was just stating the facts about my county. We've been very fortunate to have no deaths from covid-19. I also know that our good fortune could change at any time.

Yes, we've been testing more people, which is always a good thing. We're discovering how widespread the virus is. Our #1 concern in La Crosse County is irresponsible people going out and about (taverns, beaches, fest grounds, etc.), contracting the virus, and spreading it to more and more people. When that happens, the likelihood of people dying from the virus will increase.

I'm 58 years old and I live with and take care of my mother, who is 80 years old and has several major health issues, such as diabetes and heart/lung issues. If some young and irresponsible person happens to infect me at a grocery store, or at my place of employment, what should I do? Should I go live in a motel until I test negative...assuming that I don't die? Should I tell my mother, "Hey, Ma, we don't matter, because the economy is far more important than our lives."?? Shall I tell her that we're part of the "Acceptable Losses" statistic?

Yes. Sorry.

There are dangers in the world and quite frankly your mother probably has a much bigger chance of dying from something else.

You have 118,000 people in La Crosse County. You have had 195 "confirmed" cases and 0 deaths. Seriously, think about that for a minute. Is that really something to be worried about on the level you seem to be?

Because your mother is elderly and has health issues you should be careful, just as you should during the flu season.

Wow, what a heartless comment. Bet your point of view would alter significantly if someone you know gets COVID 19. It just saddens me that so many think they have the right to endanger others lives with such arrogance. Yes people die every day but purposefully telling some one tough sh*t you weren't lucky is clueless. :eyeroll:

Quoted for truth.

• Like 1

Yes. Sorry.

Wow how disingenuous. Could you please point to where I said "tough shit you weren't lucky"? Nope. Principled man expressed such concern of what he calls "a 600% increase in confirmed cases in 5 weeks" (!!!!). Which, when presented as number instead of a percentage designed to make it look worse than it is, is actually only an additional 150 people or so. I presented fact with graphs and links showing that while the number of cases in 5 weeks increased, the number of tests also increased almost exactly the same amount - 5 times, from 2,000 to 10,000 tests daily. And his response is some post about his mother being 80 and might get sick??? WTF?? How about he be happy that his fear is once again unjustified since he is concerned about his mother.

Funny, I see people like you as the heartless people.

You don't care that more than 21 million people are now suddenly unemployed, unable to feed their families, unable to pay their rent or mortgage, an increase in unemployment rate and soon to be poverty rate unseen since the great depression.

You don't care about people like my wife who still cannot get scheduled for annual mammogram, who is high risk of cancer.

You don't care about people's delayed cancer screenings, With 1.8 million people in the US alone diagnosed with cancer, how many will be diagnosed later now due to 2-3 months of no screenings ("non essential", remember?) and already be beyond help/medical treatment?

You don't care about the suicide rate increasing due to unemployment and increased poverty, expected to increase by 20,000 from the 48,000 annual average.

You don't care about the effects of new alcohol and drug addictions already being directly associated with the "lockdown"

Were you this concerned a couple years ago when 60,000 - -80,000 in the US alone died from the flu? No, of course you weren't. Why not? Do you only start caring when the media shoves it down your throat and gives you a daily count in number of deaths? Were you concerned in 2009-2010 when 15,000 - 20,000 died from the N1H1 virus? Nope, I bet you weren't. And I bet you weren't demanding people stay home, shut down their businesses and go broke losing everything they have worked for their entire life.

Take a good look in the mirror before you say I'm being heartless, you f***ing asshole. The effects of your desired shutdown are far worse than this virus.

• Like 1

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the side of your head. You came in here harassing a good standing member, Narps, all over this place, spewing absolute false information - absolute complete lies - saying how the r0 factor was as high as 5, exaggerating every single number you spewed out to create some scare or panic. I presented you with facts and instead of discussing them or debating them, you ran away. Quoted for truth? LMAO. You are pathetic.

And for the record, my parents are in their 80s, my father is in horrible health and their opinion is that living under some ridiculous lockdown isn't living, even if it was as bad as they thought this was going to be 4 months ago (and it ended up NOT being as bad as they thought), They would rather be dead than to not be able to see family, friends, go out and enjoy their life.
  • Like 1

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the side of your head. You came in here harassing a good standing member, Narps, all over this place, spewing absolute false information - absolute complete lies - saying how the r0 factor was as high as 5, exaggerating every single number you spewed out to create some scare or panic. I presented you with facts and instead of discussing them or debating them, you ran away. Quoted for truth? LMAO. You are pathetic.

r0 can be as high as 5. They just don't know yet. But ...that's a lie.

120,000 dead in 4 months, cases are spiking after the re-openings. Yet I've been full of shit.

Anyway, I'm still here. Just letting you rant and rave.

Call me some more names. Come on - I want you to. 'Pathetic' isn't nasty enough. Let it all out.

Edited by grep

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

I'm still here. Just letting you rant and rave.

Call me some more names. Come on - I want you to. 'Pathetic' isn't nasty enough. Let it all out

Yet I have proven to you that it is not 5.0 (or 5.6 which you claimed). It isn't 5.0 or 5.6 or anything close to that. I have proven that to you in link after link. Mathematically it isn't even possible at this point. How can you even claim that still?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/109300-who-has-the-virus-tell-us-when-you-get-it/page__st__800#entry4769342

Current chart of U.S. deaths from Covid (even as we already KNOW that this number is inflated as I have pointed out in articles such as the guy in Colorado who died with a BAC of .45 yet was labeled as a covid death):

Screenshot-2020-06-22-United-States-Coronavirus-2-357-323-Cases-and-122-259-Deaths-Worldometer.png

We should be happy to see that people like grep have been wrong since day one. We should be celebrating it. Yet some of you almost seem disappointed. Weird.

• Like 2

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

120,000 dead in 4 months, cases are spiking after the re-openings. Yet I've been full of shit.

Anyway, I'm still here. Just letting you rant and rave.

Call me some more names. Come on - I want you to. 'Pathetic' isn't nasty enough. Let it all out.

Why do you keep editing your post? Now 4 times you have edited it.

So grep, how do you explain that the number of "confirmed cases" is going up yet the deaths are clearly going down?

(Hint: testing)

Plus, you don't have assholes like the governor of NY (whose hagiography was shown on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday) requiring nursing homes accept those who tested positive for COVID doing stupid shi t like that any more.

It would be interesting to see if the demographic makeup of those who test positive has changed; anecdotally, it seemed it has, but it would be helpful to see the numbers. The death rate for LSU football players is likely to be orders of magnitude different than for nursing home residents.

• Like 2

I spend a lot of time in SOCN, so I haven't seen this thread until recently.

I haven't read a lot of it but I thought I would repeat a post I made in SOCN.

When this whole thing started I pointed out that we have to go through this, one way or the other. Back then I asked the question, what happens when we open up the economy and the pandemic continues where it left off? We would have achieved nothing, I argued, but to trash the economy along with the COIVD pandemic. The response to this concern was that we're only trying to "flatten the curve" to avoid overtaxing our hospitals. I can see the logic in this and I agree with it.

We weren't trying to stop the pandemic, but to make it more survivable. It seems that most people have either forgotten that this was the goal of shutting down the economy and social distancing or never knew about it. That goal has been achieved so far. We have flattened the curve, but we're still in the middle of this thing. We aren't going to make the pandemic go away by acting like shut-ins, and even if we did, it would come right back again as soon as we resume even semi-normal economic and social activity. The best we can do is to moderate the damage to the economy while maintaining the ability to keep our hospitals functioning. And we're doing this.

But I think we should remember what we're trying to do here. The pandemic will go on until there are enough recovered people to create herd immunity or we develop and implement a working vaccine. The latter won't happen fast enough to prevent the former IMO.

• Like 1

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

Call me some more names. Come on - I want you to. 'Pathetic' isn't nasty enough. Let it all out

Yet I have proven to you that it is not 5.0 (or 5.6 which you claimed). It isn't 5.0 or 5.6 or anything close to that. I have proven that to you in link after link. Mathematically it isn't even possible at this point. How can you even claim that still?

http://www.therushfo...00#entry4769342

Good. If I was wrong about that, then I was wrong.

I see reopenings, I see 49 people turning up positive after one night in a bar... Even though some may have been infected, before going in - it's still a high number. So how fast can the thing really spread?

I accepted pessimistic estimates early on in the lifecycle, and had a hard time with the perception that some couldn't take the situation as seriously as I felt appropriate. Fear.

Frankly, I'm still afraid. Those ICU and morgue videos I saw aren't out of my memory just yet. With the more recent news that even younger people have serious complications, (Decreased lung capacity, athletes now needing dialysis as examples) I till think we need to tread very carefully and take the thing seriously. Even if it 'may not' be killing as many people as the numbers indicate - this thing still isn't your garden variety flu.

There you go. Explanations, and no edits.

• Like 1

So grep, how do you explain that the number of "confirmed cases" is going up yet the deaths are clearly going down?

(Hint: testing)

Plus, you don't have assholes like the governor of NY (whose hagiography was shown on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday) requiring nursing homes accept those who tested positive for COVID doing stupid shi t like that any more.

It would be interesting to see if the demographic makeup of those who test positive has changed; anecdotally, it seemed it has, but it would be helpful to see the numbers. The death rate for LSU football players is likely to be orders of magnitude different than for nursing home residents.

I'd submit that we're not just talking about deaths any more. Long term effects of having the thing, even among the young. What does that look like? I'm trying not be as 'sensationalist' as I was in earlier posts..... but some of what we're seeing is scary. I mentioned reduced lung capacity, dialysis in my last post. It attacks the lungs, the blood, the kidneys. (Liver?) What else, and what are the numbers around all that? That would be good to know too...

• Like 1

Yes. Sorry.

Quoted for truth.

http://www.therushfo...00#entry4769342

Good. If I was wrong about that, then I was wrong.

I see reopenings, I see 49 people turning up positive after one night in a bar... Even though some may have been infected, before going in - it's still a high number. So how fast can the thing really spread?

I accepted pessimistic estimates early on in the lifecycle, and had a hard time with the perception that some couldn't take the situation as seriously as I felt appropriate. Fear.

Frankly, I'm still afraid. Those ICU and morgue videos I saw aren't out of my memory just yet. With the more recent news that even younger people have serious complications, (Decreased lung capacity, athletes now needing dialysis as examples) I till think we need to tread very carefully and take the thing seriously. Even if it 'may not' be killing as many people as the numbers indicate - this thing still isn't your garden variety flu.

There you go. Explanations, and no edits.

That's fine, but that returns to a point I made a while back. Surely you must agree then that the protests in the wake of George Floyd's death were incredibly irresponsible and dangerous, right? Why did public health officials, not just politicians, either a) disappear from public discourse or b) suggest that "systemic racism," was a health crisis too so the risk of spreading the virus was worth accepting to protest?

• Like 3

Current chart of U.S. deaths from Covid (even as we already KNOW that this number is inflated as I have pointed out in articles such as the guy in Colorado who died with a BAC of .45 yet was labeled as a covid death):

Screenshot-2020-06-22-United-States-Coronavirus-2-357-323-Cases-and-122-259-Deaths-Worldometer.png

We should be happy to see that people like grep have been wrong since day one. We should be celebrating it. Yet some of you almost seem disappointed. Weird.

The Washington Post used to publish this graph on their website and mobile app all day, every day. That is, the published it until recently, as the daily numbers continued their distinctive pattern of decline. Now, they have replaced it with a graph showing the states with the largest case increases over the last week, which shows that number in the U.S. as a whole, and five other states.

So over the past week, the U.S has had an increase in cases at a rate of 8 per 100,000.

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

This is all per 100,000 people.

It seems we've switched from reporting on the number of deaths (because it, thankfully, keeps declining) to the number of new cases, because that has shown an increase.

• Like 3

The Washington Post used to publish this graph on their website and mobile app all day, every day. That is, the published it until recently, as the daily numbers continued their distinctive pattern of decline. Now, they have replaced it with a graph showing the states with the largest case increases over the last week, which shows that number in the U.S. as a whole, and five other states.

So over the past week, the U.S has had an increase in cases at a rate of 8 per 100,000.

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

It seems we've switched from reporting on the number of deaths (because it, thankfully, keeps declining) to the number of new cases, because that has shown an increase.

Those five states were totally chosen at random, of course.

• Like 3

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

Which is actually good news, if the number of deaths don't go up. That means the mortality rate is going down. The deaths number lags behind the new cases numbers though, which lag two to three weeks behind contracting the virus. What happened two to three weeks ago that could have caused the new cases numbers to spike?

I hope the number of deaths, and thus the mortality rate continues to decline.

• Like 3

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

Those five states were totally chosen at random, of course.

I keep having to remind myself of where we are. I don't want to get in trouble, or get the thread moved.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Good news doesn't sell their rag so they needed to look at the numbers differently.

• Like 2

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

Which is actually good news, if the number of deaths don't go up. That means the mortality rate is going down. The deaths number lags behind the new cases numbers though, which lag two to three weeks behind contracting the virus. What happened two to three weeks ago that could have caused the new cases numbers to spike?

The rate of deaths is going down. Great news!

The rate of hospitalization is a mixed bag, depending on the state, apparently. But it is not exploding or rising across the board. This is also good news.

• Like 1

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

According to this, hospital resource use, which is a closer leading indicator of deaths, is still flat to decreasing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

• Like 3

Arizona 34

South Carolina 17

Florida 15

Texas 12

Oklahoma 8

The rate of deaths is going down. Great news!

The rate of hospitalization is a mixed bag, depending on the state, apparently. But it is not exploding or rising across the board. This is also good news.

Yes it is. But I was specifically talking about the combination of an increased number of new cases coupled with a decreased death rate. Like I say though, it may be too soon to celebrate that because the deaths and hospitalizations could still increase. My gut feeling is that the mortality number is going down though as we learn to deal with it.

• Like 1