treeduck

Flu season 2017/18 in Germany. 25,100 dead people! Nobody cared, many cried!

Corona virus 2020 in Germany. 1,861 dead people! Everybody cares, scared, few still cry!

Feels like being in a movie, shot by Terry Gilliam. Maybe a remake of 1984, mixed with some elements of 12 Monkeys and Brazil! Totally unreal here!

• Like 2

As far as testing goes...where's the incentive for the patient to test unless the symptoms get worse or they get to the point of needing hospitalization?

Do they get additional treatment? No

Do they have the same self-isolation regimen at home? yes

Even the Doctor my wife saw said the tests were inaccurate and highly variable based on the stage of disease. I suppose it would help verify it for the contacts that are around the ineffected person, but symptoms should be enough of a warning. At this point, testing just feels like they're collecting another useless data point.

P.S. I used to be the computer guy at a health department, so I'm well aware of their cravings for useless data points.

Edited by HemiBeers

On the plus side, I learned how to use Instacart for our local grocery stores and the no contact delivery went well!

On the minus side, the hot water heater is suddenly making thunking and bubbling noises. :o Apparently it means a lot of sediment in the bottom? We tried to drain it ourselves one time in the past and accidentally flooded the garage. :LOL: :LOL: so I'm not sure that's the answer. Crossing my fingers the heater holds out until the end of the month when we can call a plumber more easily.

• Like 2

My coworker was finally able to go home after a week in the hospital. Still at least a week before she can come back to work. No news on the other 4 positives. 1 quarantined guy back to work, 6 still out. Starting tomorrow they'll be taking our temp as we enter the building. 100.1 or higher gets you a 3-day vacation.

Have you been exposed yet? All your co-workers seems to have it.

According to what's considered "close contact" (within 6 feet for 10 to 30 minutes), I have not been exposed. The 2 night agents and night supervisor are folks I'm only near (6 feet) for about 30 seconds at night when I'm checking out. Same with the manager and morning supervisor. They may walk by during the sort, but they don't linger by the truck. It's been 12 days since the girl was at work, 8 days for the night agent and 6 and 7 days respectively for the supervisors. I've felt fine so far. A bit of a headache tonight though.

Some could be asymptomatic and still shedding the virus, are any of you wearing masks? There are some estimates that many more people have it but not showing symptoms. Take Care.

• Like 1

"they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby"

I sympathize with your post and there is no doubt there are a lot of lousy bosses out there, including some that will take advantage of this pandemic. But, I take a little exception to the above part of your post. These cash flow issues with thousands of businesses are real. Our business is down 50% minimum since this started. I was forced to lay off a few people and reduce salaries. We are trying to keep what was a booming business one month ago, alive through the course of this pandemic. I hope we do, and I don't like the actions we have taken with our employees, but it was necessary.

Fair point and I apologize. My comment was referring to my wife's employer and not a general statement. I have great sympathy for all the businesses, especially small, that are struggling even before this started. In my wife's situation, this railroading of my wife didn't start until the sales part of the dealership got shut down. The owner has had the business for 20 years, so if he's running that tight on cash after a bad month or two that's on him. I even question his 'cash flow problem' claim because they were doing gangbusters before this hit. I get a little touchy when someone tries to screw over my wife.

I knew it was personal for you, but just wanted to clear that up from the business owner standpoint. My issue now is the FREAKING lawyers. This is the greatest thing that ever happened for them. They are all over the layoffs and salary reductions. By the letter of the law, employees have a case in certain circumstances to call it constructive dismissal, and thereby sue for compensation. The fact that people would do that in these circumstances is unbelievable. We are dealing with two employees that are obviously getting legal advice. They both were among the highest paid and had their salaries cut - not laid off. Now among everything else we are facing we have to deal with this.

• Like 1

My coworker was finally able to go home after a week in the hospital. Still at least a week before she can come back to work. No news on the other 4 positives. 1 quarantined guy back to work, 6 still out. Starting tomorrow they'll be taking our temp as we enter the building. 100.1 or higher gets you a 3-day vacation.

According to what's considered "close contact" (within 6 feet for 10 to 30 minutes), I have not been exposed. The 2 night agents and night supervisor are folks I'm only near (6 feet) for about 30 seconds at night when I'm checking out. Same with the manager and morning supervisor. They may walk by during the sort, but they don't linger by the truck. It's been 12 days since the girl was at work, 8 days for the night agent and 6 and 7 days respectively for the supervisors. I've felt fine so far. A bit of a headache tonight though.

Some could be asymptomatic and still shedding the virus, are any of you wearing masks? There are some estimates that many more people have it but not showing symptoms. Take Care.

I wear a cloth mask that someone in my town made for me whenever I am in the building. Out on the road I am not getting close enough to anybody to have to deal with them.

• Like 1

I wear a cloth mask that someone in my town made for me whenever I am in the building. Out on the road I am not getting close enough to anybody to have to deal with them.

How do you know they've not got it?? (the mask maker)

As long as you wash it each time after you wear it (which you can with a cloth mask) you should be safe.

• Like 2

As long as you wash it each time after you wear it (which you can with a cloth mask) you should be safe.

Do you regularly get the flu?

3 weeks and counting so far. I'm guessing she was OK. And no, I very rarely get the flu. I've never actually used a sick day because I was sick.

Why do I have the feeling that this homemade mask stuff is sort of like the 'duck and cover' advice for nuclear blasts in the 50s?

• Like 1

"they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby"

I sympathize with your post and there is no doubt there are a lot of lousy bosses out there, including some that will take advantage of this pandemic. But, I take a little exception to the above part of your post. These cash flow issues with thousands of businesses are real. Our business is down 50% minimum since this started. I was forced to lay off a few people and reduce salaries. We are trying to keep what was a booming business one month ago, alive through the course of this pandemic. I hope we do, and I don't like the actions we have taken with our employees, but it was necessary.

Fair point and I apologize. My comment was referring to my wife's employer and not a general statement. I have great sympathy for all the businesses, especially small, that are struggling even before this started. In my wife's situation, this railroading of my wife didn't start until the sales part of the dealership got shut down. The owner has had the business for 20 years, so if he's running that tight on cash after a bad month or two that's on him. I even question his 'cash flow problem' claim because they were doing gangbusters before this hit. I get a little touchy when someone tries to screw over my wife.

I knew it was personal for you, but just wanted to clear that up from the business owner standpoint. My issue now is the FREAKING lawyers. This is the greatest thing that ever happened for them. They are all over the layoffs and salary reductions. By the letter of the law, employees have a case in certain circumstances to call it constructive dismissal, and thereby sue for compensation. The fact that people would do that in these circumstances is unbelievable. We are dealing with two employees that are obviously getting legal advice. They both were among the highest paid and had their salaries cut - not laid off. Now among everything else we are facing we have to deal with this.

Your in Canada with different employer rules. In the states, or at least our state, nearly everyone is 'at will', which means you can be fired anytime, for no reason at all. Thankfully, they've beefed up the laws during this outbreak to give employees rights to keep their jobs for covid related reasons. I'm totally fine if they want to let my wife go for business reasons and no fault of her own. But her boss is coming up with bullshit reasons for 'misconduct' so they can fire her and deny her unemployment (or coerce her to quit and she doesn't get unemployment). That''s downright psychopathic. Also an 'at will' state an employee can't sue for wrongful termination.

The latest law in Michigan says the employer can't fire or retaliate for an employee reporting Covid symptoms. So her current health issues give her some level of coverage, but she'll still eventually go back to a shit-storm.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Why do I have the feeling that this homemade mask stuff is sort of like the 'duck and cover' advice for nuclear blasts in the 50s?

I figure it’s more a matter of how people actually handle the mask and accidentally contaminate it.

• Like 1

I figure it’s more a matter of how people actually handle the mask and accidentally contaminate it.

I found a small supply of cheap paper masks that I was using in the attic around insulation last year. Guess that will suffice for now.

• Like 1

What about a Spidey mask?

As long as the mouth and nose areas are covered and are thick enough yet breathable, it’d work

• Like 1

As long as the mouth and nose areas are covered and are thick enough yet breathable, it’d work

What about a Deadpool mask??

• Like 1

Dumb character so he’s undeserving of any free advertisement

• Like 2

Dumb character so he’s undeserving of any free advertisement

And you'd deserve to die of the virus if you wore it!

It's more about protecting those around you and vice versa. If you are asymptomatic you can shed the virus so your mask will catch the droplets and other's masks do the same. I posted a PSA earlier in the thread that talks about this effect. Countries that used the masks early in the outbreak have less cases.

• Like 1

One of my clients lost their mother and two childhood friends back in the NYC area in the past 2-3 weeks. :-/

So sorry to hear this :(

• Like 1

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Overreacting is putting it mildly...

That's the mindset that will get people killed. The time to react is a month ago. We should have been hunkering down then. If we all did, then this thing would have had a fair chance of dying out by now. Instead we are at least one order of magnitude worse off (amount of spread) than we were. It will keep spreading unchecked unless we limit humans contact with each other.

I cannot conceive of people's inability to understand these simple concepts.

Let's come back to this post in a month. We'll see who's right.

Almost 2 weeks. How are we doing?

1 week short of a month. How are we doing? Still overreacting?

Edited by grep