treeduck

my temperature is 100.1 now, i have a splitting headache, ive been coughing, and im short of breath from my chest being tight. im gonna try to make an appointment to get tested tomorrow morning.

It could be just a cold!

Nyet. Colds don't cause a fever.

She doesn't really have a fever....100.1 is upper range of normal and could quite easily have been caused by a cold.

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Most of us do not have to worry but the elderly and sick people do. We have to quarantine ourselves so it does not keep spreading and infecting them. When people first started dying in Seattle they said 24 people had died but 18 of them were from the same Nursing home.

That is what people don't get, anyone can be a carrier without symptoms and then they spread it around to others. The flattening the curve effect is to keep the numbers down so our hospitals won't be overrun. That's why we needed our government to pay attention and not blow if off like it was nothing. We are fighting against a wave that started weeks ago but we just didn't know it because of the lack of testing capability. This isn't something we can just ignore, we are all in it together. This is uncharted territory and we need to work together or we sink together.

As for the comment that Ebola wasn't as bad, that is completely wrong. It killed 50 percent of the people who got it. We also had a Pandemic Task Force that went to West Africa to help fight the disease there.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the West African country of Guinea. Additional cases have since been reported in the countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as Nigeria and Senegal. To date, there have been more than 22,500 reported Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,900 deaths. At home, U.S. medical teams have treated 12 Ebola patients — all but two recovered.

Since the start of the outbreak, the United States has sent more than 3,000 DOD, CDC, USAID, and other U.S. health officials to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea to assist with response efforts, as part of a 10,000-person U.S.-backed civilian response. With their help, the U.S. government has:

• Constructed 15 Ebola treatment units in the region
  • Provided more than 400 metric tons of personal protective equipment and other medical and relief supplies
  • Operated more than 190 burial teams in the region
  • Conducted aggressive contact tracing to identify chains of transmission
  • Trained health care workers and conducted community outreach
  • Worked with international partners to identify travelers who may have Ebola before they leave the region

Thanks to their efforts, and the work of countless others from around the world, the number of people who are contracting Ebola has declined sharply from peak levels.

So what have we done this time? Pretend it doesn't exist, wish it away despite the evidence of massive deaths. Let large numbers of Chinese come to the U.S. BEFORE we closed our borders. By then it was too late. Maybe our Pandemic Task Force could have helped go to China to see what was going on and help but oh yeah someone canned the whole group in 2018. We have been put at risk by bungling and fumbling from the get go. Test kits made here in U.S.were defective, we could have had free tests given to us by the WHO but no we couldn't do that. So they try to get test kits to Americans but it is 3 weeks since they promised 1 Million would be made available. People are dying because of this inept response. People are scared because they can't trust the government to do its job professionally and in a timely manner. So it has been left to the local Mayors, Governors and their health departments to fix it but it is too big for them to do alone. This is why some people are panicking and buying everything in sight, it gives them some sense of control but of course it doesn't really help. People who really need food can't get it because the crazies have bought it all up.

Yes, I am upset and I am doing all I can to be careful and look out for those I can but I don't understand all the denial that this is no big deal, it has the potential to cause millions of deaths. I just hope that is wrong but better to err on the side of caution.

Boy it's obvious where you get your "news" from and worse yet believe it. Enjoy...

Seriously, what is wrong with this info?

Comparing Covid19 to ebola?

I was pointing out the difference in our response to the two diseases. We had a methodical and well planned approach to Ebola and helped lessen its impact and we only had 12 cases here in the US because we were proactive and acted quickly. Our COVID 19 response has been pathetic and is endangering lives. I was also responding to another comment that said Ebola was no big deal, which was not true.

Just hope you realize the differences between the countries and governments involved in the two cases. Apples and oranges of course. H1 N1 might be a more apt comparison. Take a look at that one and the media reaction at the time if you can find any mention of it anywhere...

my temperature is 100.1 now, i have a splitting headache, ive been coughing, and im short of breath from my chest being tight. im gonna try to make an appointment to get tested tomorrow morning.

Jamie - if you are around here today please update us on how you are feeling. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

as of now i feel mildly crappy, thankfully my temperature is normal but i’ve started coughing and my chest feels slightly tighter. i called off of work and i’m on hold trying to make an appointment to see if i need to be tested.

It could be just a cold!

She doesn't really have a fever....100.1 is upper range of normal and could quite easily have been caused by a cold.

99 is low, but 100.1, while not dangerous, is a fever.
  • Like 2

Jamie - if you are around here today please update us on how you are feeling. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

as of now i feel mildly crappy, thankfully my temperature is normal but i’ve started coughing and my chest feels slightly tighter. i called off of work and i’m on hold trying to make an appointment to see if i need to be tested.

Please keep us posted. Glad you are doing relatively OK... Hoping you just have a cold or something.

• Like 1

Please keep us posted. Glad you are doing relatively OK... Hoping you just have a cold or something.

thanks! i finally booked an appointment to be checked by a doctor and they will determine if i need to be tested but it's not until the 30th. even if i feel fine by then, i'll probably still get tested so i can have a confirmation with my job that i can return to work.
  • Like 2

It could be just a cold!

It's actually dependent on what measure you use....I was a medical professional for twenty years so I know this.

In any case, hope this resolves quickly for you and it's probably a good idea to be tested as you have already mentioned....keep an eye on the breathing, that's the important part and if you're struggling seek medical attention asap.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 3

It could be just a cold!

It's actually dependent on what measure you use....I was a medical professional for twenty years so I know this.

In any case, hope this resolves quickly for you and it's probably a good idea to be tested as you have already mentioned....keep an eye on the breathing, that's the important part and if you're struggling seek medical attention asap.

Yeah, from what I have seen, this can quickly take a turn for the worse or just stay with mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. If it starts getting worse, the emergency room is the best bet.
  • Like 3

It could be just a cold!

Yeah, from what I have seen, this can quickly take a turn for the worse or just stay with mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. If it starts getting worse, the emergency room is the best bet.

this virus from what i've read indeed seems to have 3 camps.

1. not THAT bad

2. Asymtomatic

3. severe as hell/life threatening.

that's why those who say oh it's just a more annoying fllu may be in for a surprise.

Mick

• Like 4

It could be just a cold!

1. not THAT bad

2. Asymtomatic

that's why those who say oh it's just a more annoying fllu may be in for a surprise.

Mick

It's a very confusing disease with how it's affecting people. No one should take it lightly because of how unpredictable it seems to be.

• Like 4

It could be just a cold!

1. not THAT bad

2. Asymtomatic

Mick

• Like 2

The numbers are starting to skyrocket in the U.S. now, it looks like it might follow the pattern in Italy. Italy has now passed China in deaths from covid-19.

I do wonder how many of these tests are false positives though? They've had to rush the testing kits and how to use them at such a fast rate there are certainly mistakes that are being made. This might explain why some who are said to have it don't show any symptoms at all.

Things are looking up.

Toilet paper is on the shelves.

It should be down the toilet by now...

How about where you are? Are they still hoarding?

The stores out here put a limit - you can only buy one or two of certain items. Since they put a limit on, people seem to have stopped buying anything at all.

• Like 1

Things are looking up.

The stores out here put a limit - you can only buy one or two of certain items. Since they put a limit on, people seem to have stopped buying anything at all.

Yeah the shelves were empty in Tesco this week, no paper towels either!

Things are looking up.

I think it has reached its peak in my area and is now waning.

Still can't get any antibacterial products though like liquid soap and cleaners. The man in the store told me it will take a long time to refill the shelves. Warehouses were emptied out.

Things are looking up.

Still can't get any antibacterial products though like liquid soap and cleaners. The man in the store told me it will take a long time to refill the shelves. Warehouses were emptied out.

Has there been any positive cases of coronavirus in your area?

Things are looking up.

Has there been any positive cases of coronavirus in your area?

A few I think.

Believe it not, I am not following the news at all. I have no time for that. My husband takes up all of it.