treeduck

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Most of us do not have to worry but the elderly and sick people do. We have to quarantine ourselves so it does not keep spreading and infecting them. When people first started dying in Seattle they said 24 people had died but 18 of them were from the same Nursing home.

That is what people don't get, anyone can be a carrier without symptoms and then they spread it around to others. The flattening the curve effect is to keep the numbers down so our hospitals won't be overrun. That's why we needed our government to pay attention and not blow if off like it was nothing. We are fighting against a wave that started weeks ago but we just didn't know it because of the lack of testing capability. This isn't something we can just ignore, we are all in it together. This is uncharted territory and we need to work together or we sink together.

As for the comment that Ebola wasn't as bad, that is completely wrong. It killed 50 percent of the people who got it. We also had a Pandemic Task Force that went to West Africa to help fight the disease there.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the West African country of Guinea. Additional cases have since been reported in the countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as Nigeria and Senegal. To date, there have been more than 22,500 reported Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,900 deaths. At home, U.S. medical teams have treated 12 Ebola patients — all but two recovered.

Since the start of the outbreak, the United States has sent more than 3,000 DOD, CDC, USAID, and other U.S. health officials to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea to assist with response efforts, as part of a 10,000-person U.S.-backed civilian response. With their help, the U.S. government has:

• Constructed 15 Ebola treatment units in the region
  • Provided more than 400 metric tons of personal protective equipment and other medical and relief supplies
  • Operated more than 190 burial teams in the region
  • Conducted aggressive contact tracing to identify chains of transmission
  • Trained health care workers and conducted community outreach
  • Worked with international partners to identify travelers who may have Ebola before they leave the region

Thanks to their efforts, and the work of countless others from around the world, the number of people who are contracting Ebola has declined sharply from peak levels.

So what have we done this time? Pretend it doesn't exist, wish it away despite the evidence of massive deaths. Let large numbers of Chinese come to the U.S. BEFORE we closed our borders. By then it was too late. Maybe our Pandemic Task Force could have helped go to China to see what was going on and help but oh yeah someone canned the whole group in 2018. We have been put at risk by bungling and fumbling from the get go. Test kits made here in U.S.were defective, we could have had free tests given to us by the WHO but no we couldn't do that. So they try to get test kits to Americans but it is 3 weeks since they promised 1 Million would be made available. People are dying because of this inept response. People are scared because they can't trust the government to do its job professionally and in a timely manner. So it has been left to the local Mayors, Governors and their health departments to fix it but it is too big for them to do alone. This is why some people are panicking and buying everything in sight, it gives them some sense of control but of course it doesn't really help. People who really need food can't get it because the crazies have bought it all up.

Yes, I am upset and I am doing all I can to be careful and look out for those I can but I don't understand all the denial that this is no big deal, it has the potential to cause millions of deaths. I just hope that is wrong but better to err on the side of caution.

Boy it's obvious where you get your "news" from and worse yet believe it. Enjoy...

Seriously, what is wrong with this info?

• Like 5

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Most of us do not have to worry but the elderly and sick people do. We have to quarantine ourselves so it does not keep spreading and infecting them. When people first started dying in Seattle they said 24 people had died but 18 of them were from the same Nursing home.

That is what people don't get, anyone can be a carrier without symptoms and then they spread it around to others. The flattening the curve effect is to keep the numbers down so our hospitals won't be overrun. That's why we needed our government to pay attention and not blow if off like it was nothing. We are fighting against a wave that started weeks ago but we just didn't know it because of the lack of testing capability. This isn't something we can just ignore, we are all in it together. This is uncharted territory and we need to work together or we sink together.

As for the comment that Ebola wasn't as bad, that is completely wrong. It killed 50 percent of the people who got it. We also had a Pandemic Task Force that went to West Africa to help fight the disease there.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the West African country of Guinea. Additional cases have since been reported in the countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as Nigeria and Senegal. To date, there have been more than 22,500 reported Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,900 deaths. At home, U.S. medical teams have treated 12 Ebola patients — all but two recovered.

Since the start of the outbreak, the United States has sent more than 3,000 DOD, CDC, USAID, and other U.S. health officials to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea to assist with response efforts, as part of a 10,000-person U.S.-backed civilian response. With their help, the U.S. government has:

• Provided more than 400 metric tons of personal protective equipment and other medical and relief supplies
  • Worked with international partners to identify travelers who may have Ebola before they leave the region

Thanks to their efforts, and the work of countless others from around the world, the number of people who are contracting Ebola has declined sharply from peak levels.

So what have we done this time? Pretend it doesn't exist, wish it away despite the evidence of massive deaths. Let large numbers of Chinese come to the U.S. BEFORE we closed our borders. By then it was too late. Maybe our Pandemic Task Force could have helped go to China to see what was going on and help but oh yeah someone canned the whole group in 2018. We have been put at risk by bungling and fumbling from the get go. Test kits made here in U.S.were defective, we could have had free tests given to us by the WHO but no we couldn't do that. So they try to get test kits to Americans but it is 3 weeks since they promised 1 Million would be made available. People are dying because of this inept response. People are scared because they can't trust the government to do its job professionally and in a timely manner. So it has been left to the local Mayors, Governors and their health departments to fix it but it is too big for them to do alone. This is why some people are panicking and buying everything in sight, it gives them some sense of control but of course it doesn't really help. People who really need food can't get it because the crazies have bought it all up.

Yes, I am upset and I am doing all I can to be careful and look out for those I can but I don't understand all the denial that this is no big deal, it has the potential to cause millions of deaths. I just hope that is wrong but better to err on the side of caution.

Boy it's obvious where you get your "news" from and worse yet believe it. Enjoy...

please tell us where you get your news from?

• Like 2

Comparing Covid19 to ebola?

Comparing Covid19 to ebola?

The article is basically saying that there is no comparison?

It feels like overkill.

But I’m not a scientist or a doctor. So I’ll chill at home and work from there while I still have a job.

I guess one way to think of it is in terms of 9/11. Just less than 3000 people died on that day, but the effects were far reaching.

This virus could certainly be worse than 9/11 in many ways.

Best to look at this as logically as possible, and do your best to quell the frustration. There is a reason they’ve closed all the schools. We are going to have to wait this out. It’s the rational thing to do: wait and see what happens.

• Like 3

I bet Fridge will be the first TRF member to get it.

More sheep than people here Pat, so unlikely...

Unless there's an ovine version of course

• Like 2

Warnings not to have social gatherings,schools shutting down,etc...

But people are going to stores in huge numbers.Fighting over stuff,yelling in each others faces.

Most are still going to work every day(here anyhow).So people are pushing carts,pumping gas,punching keypads every day.Germs,germs,germs.

And cant even find hand sanitizer now.

If it's as bad as they say,why are we aloud to spread germs in one way,but not another?

Makes no sense to me.But I'm just a dumb old country boy...

I bet Fridge will be the first TRF member to get it.

More sheep than people here Pat, so unlikely...

Unless there's an ovine version of course

Probably nobody will get it on here, we've more chance of getting pneumonia and AIDS than this virus.

But people are going to stores in huge numbers.Fighting over stuff,yelling in each others faces.

Most are still going to work every day(here anyhow).So people are pushing carts,pumping gas,punching keypads every day.Germs,germs,germs.

If it's as bad as they say,why are we aloud to spread germs in one way,but not another?

Shopping seems to be the thing everyone is doing. It was really weird going shopping today, people were acting like it was the last shopping day of their lives. Doomsday shopping.

• Like 2

Shopping seems to be the thing everyone is doing. It was really weird going shopping today, people were acting like it was the last shopping day of their lives. Doomsday shopping.

f***ing proles....

• Like 1

I'm surprised we're not hearing more about people in the entertainment world with it. Musicians, pro athletes and actors travel around like nobody else for their profession. Yes, Tom Hanks getting it is huge. But I figured we would have heard about a few more bigger names by now.

And my school just announced we're not coming back till August.

The class I came in with four years ago is graduating this year. I'm doing a fifth year, but the majority of those friends, the vast majority, I will never see in the same place again. Or at least very sparingly at alumni events.

This sucks.

• Like 2

The class I came in with four years ago is graduating this year. I'm doing a fifth year, but the majority of those friends, the vast majority, I will never see in the same place again. Or at least very sparingly at alumni events.

This sucks.

Welcome to being an adult. Unfortunately, growing close with people and then going your separate ways because life takes all of you in different directions is something that's common. It can suck for a little while but you will eventually find a new group of friends.

• Like 1

This sucks.

Welcome to being an adult. Unfortunately, growing close with people and then going your separate ways because life takes all of you in different directions is something that's common. It can suck for a little while but you will eventually find a new group of friends.

Now look. I get what you're saying, I really do. But I think you're not getting the part where school was canceled with no warning in the middle of spring break and isn't resuming until August. It's not that we're going separate ways, which we all accept is inevitable. It's that we had our last times together stolen from us without any warning.

Nobody even said goodbye. Where I go we always say goodbye. We're a family.

• Like 1

This sucks.

I'm so sorry, I would have hated that when I was in school. Maybe later this spring, they will let you guys all pick up your stuff on the same weekend? It's not the same though; you look forward to senior week and graduation.

• Like 3

This sucks.

I'm so sorry, I would have hated that when I was in school. Maybe later this spring, they will let you guys all pick up your stuff on the same weekend? It's not the same though; you look forward to senior week and graduation.

I don't know what their plan is for picking things up. We have people from all over the country. When it was still temporary they said they'd mail back essentials but now they must be scrambling to come up with a sensible solution. Dad and I went and retrieved many of my valuables from my dorm on Sunday, directly in the face of their directions not to do so. We weren't the only ones. If everyone comes back to pick up their things at the same time, that would be a major outbreak risk. I don't see administration calling for that any time soon.

• Like 1

This sucks.

indeed

sorry for you and to all students. try to put the time to good use. ( and no, TRF is not a good use ) lol

• Like 2

This sucks.

indeed

sorry for you and to all students. try to put the time to good use. ( and no, TRF is not a good use ) lol

lol, I'll have to. It's online classes from here on out, which can't possibly be enough to keep me as busy as I stay at school.

• Like 1

This sucks.

Now look. I get what you're saying, I really do. But I think you're not getting the part where school was canceled with no warning in the middle of spring break and isn't resuming until August. It's not that we're going separate ways, which we all accept is inevitable. It's that we had our last times together stolen from us without any warning.

Things happen like that sometimes. You don't always get to say a proper goodbye. Also, school was not canceled without any warning. You've had plenty of warning with what's been happening over the last few weeks. Schools, businesses and entire communities are on extreme lockdown. You had to know this was coming.

This sucks.

Things happen like that sometimes. You don't always get to say a proper goodbye. Also, school was not canceled without any warning. You've had plenty of warning with what's been happening over the last few weeks. Schools, businesses and entire communities are on extreme lockdown. You had to know this was coming.

No, it was in fact cancelled without warning. We all thought we were coming back from spring break when we left a week and a half ago. It wasn't till a few days in when it started coming out that schools were closing. Heck, I started the first thread about the virus here back in January and I never thought it would come to this until it was already happening. You have to understand, however much you tell me this was to be expected, we did not expect it. You can call us naive, or ill-informed, but that doesn't change how it went down. Some of my friends at other schools had warning. They were still at school when rumors started and when cancellations started. We were already gone.

And please stop telling me that's just the way it happens sometimes, because that doesn't help anything, and I didn't come here looking for apathy.

This sucks.

No, it was in fact cancelled without warning. We all thought we were coming back from spring break when we left a week and a half ago. It wasn't till a few days in when it started coming out that schools were closing. Heck, I started the first thread about the virus here back in January and I never thought it would come to this until it was already happening. You have to understand, however much you tell me this was to be expected, we did not expect it. You can call us naive, or ill-informed, but that doesn't change how it went down. Some of my friends at other schools had warning. They were still at school when rumors started and when cancellations started. We were already gone.

And please stop telling me that's just the way it happens sometimes, because that doesn't help anything, and I didn't come here looking for apathy.

I was just trying to be honest with you. I know that doesn't change anything.

• Like 1

my temperature is 100.1 now, i have a splitting headache, ive been coughing, and im short of breath from my chest being tight. im gonna try to make an appointment to get tested tomorrow morning.

my temperature is 100.1 now, i have a splitting headache, ive been coughing, and im short of breath from my chest being tight. im gonna try to make an appointment to get tested tomorrow morning.

Get tested if you can. My thoughts are with you.

This thing is spreading like wildfire. 1000 new infections today in NYC.

I predict there will be a 14 day mandatory lockdown shelter in place for every American. The National Guard has already been alerted.

GOOD LUCK! STAY INSIDE YOUR HOMES!!!!!!

• Like 2